PDA

View Full Version : How do you unlock a P4 for ultimate overclock??

Pages : [1] 2

budd_wm
11-25-02, 04:45 PM
Subject says it all. I've read there is a way, but as to how that is done I cannot find anywhere on the net. Anyone got a link or know how to??

Gator
11-25-02, 05:49 PM
intel CPU's cannot be unlocked

budd_wm
11-25-02, 06:11 PM
Errr, yeah they can. I just don't know the specifics, and it's probably not worth it from what I've heard, but I was just curious.

thcdru2k
11-25-02, 06:40 PM
review sites sometimes get unlocked processors from intel

budd_wm
11-25-02, 06:44 PM
Maybe that's what it is. But I swore I read somewhere that it was possible to unlock the processor, though I heard it was very difficult to do.

Dazz
11-25-02, 07:19 PM
Only engineering samples are unlocked, some large sites can get their hands on the odd one, like Toms hardware.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-25-02, 07:25 PM
Yes, I had access to 2 unlocked 2.4 Ghz P4s, very nice. If you are lucky you can find some engineering samples on ebay or something. Altho, you might have to pay more for them.;)

Dazz
11-25-02, 07:26 PM
ALOT more beacuse of the die hard overclokers :D

budd_wm
11-25-02, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I'll check it out. So I guess no one has the knowledge to unlock the P4s eh? :(

scooterman
11-26-02, 12:47 AM
i think if you connect 2 of the pins on the bottom with a wire or something you can do it i remember reading something (or maybe that was a volt mod) i dont remember.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-26-02, 12:49 AM
Thats a volt mod. There is another mod in the works also to enable HT on recent northwoods. Something to do with A31 pin. :D

budd_wm
11-26-02, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I know how to enable HT (but I won't be doing it, heh). I guess I'll just rip off the thermal pad, use some artic silver, watercool it, and call that good enough. :D

pelly
11-26-02, 12:38 PM
Although there is nearly every other mod available for Intel CPU's ( voltage increase, enable feature ___, etc... ) .....outside a fab, there is NO way to unlock the multiplier.

With the stellar overclocking ability of the Northwoods, it makes you wonder how much better they could be if we had access to those multipliers... :eek:

:D

SocketAzzWipe
11-26-02, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by budd_wm
Yeah, I know how to enable HT (but I won't be doing it, heh). I guess I'll just rip off the thermal pad, use some artic silver, watercool it, and call that good enough. :D

Can you post some linkage that shows how to enable HT? Thanks.

Switch
11-27-02, 12:33 AM
I'm pretty sure I read a link where someone temporarily put a pretty heffty charge on two of the pins and it allowed for an unlock. Of course, that was in the Socket 423 days.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-27-02, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Switch
I'm pretty sure I read a link where someone temporarily put a pretty heffty charge on two of the pins and it allowed for an unlock. Of course, that was in the Socket 423 days.

Nope. You put a pretty hefty charge on those two pins and you get to buy yourself a new CPU. That was for a Vmod, and you don't apply a hefty charge to anything. P4s can't be unlocked due to Intel doin' a laser job on the fab. in the CPU. The only way to use multipliers on the P4 is to buy a engineering sample.

Switch
11-27-02, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
Nope. You put a pretty hefty charge on those two pins and you get to buy yourself a new CPU. That was for a Vmod, and you don't apply a hefty charge to anything. P4s can't be unlocked due to Intel doin' a laser job on the fab. in the CPU. The only way to use multipliers on the P4 is to buy a engineering sample.

I fully understand that. All I'm just saying what this guy said, and it wasn't a vmod.

SocketAzzWipe
11-27-02, 09:48 PM
Uh...where are the people who said they know how to modify a regular NW for HyperThreading? How about some links...?

LORD-eX-Bu
11-27-02, 09:53 PM
Not every northwood will be able to do it. The process hasn't been worked thru yet but it is possible on recently manufactured 2.4B northwoods and up.;) Somewhere in VR-ZONE (http://www.vr-zone.com) forums.

SocketAzzWipe
11-27-02, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
Not every northwood will be able to do it. The process hasn't been worked thru yet but it is possible on recently manufactured 2.4B northwoods and up.;) Somewhere in VR-ZONE (http://www.vr-zone.com) forums.

I read the huge thread there, LORD...they still haven't figured it out yet...

But our resident know-it-all "budd_wm" apparently knows how to modify it....him and him(or her) alone knows the secret to enabled HT regular NWs...why doesn't he/she just explain it to us?

Riptide
11-30-02, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by SocketAzzWipe
Uh...where are the people who said they know how to modify a regular NW for HyperThreading? How about some links...?
My understanding is this was disabled at the FAB via a laser etch... Now that is going to be one tough cookie to repair!

The Baron
11-30-02, 12:41 AM
Hook that laser pointer up to a lantern battery, and voila, laser etcher ;)

Riptide
11-30-02, 01:11 AM
Screw that... I'll use my light saber.

budd_wm
12-01-02, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by SocketAzzWipe
I read the huge thread there, LORD...they still haven't figured it out yet...

But our resident know-it-all "budd_wm" apparently knows how to modify it....him and him(or her) alone knows the secret to enabled HT regular NWs...why doesn't he/she just explain it to us?

It's impossible to do without damaging the CPU, so it's not worth posting about. Someone else I know has actually done it, and it worked for about a week, but I guess he ended up damaging the CPU because after that week, his comp wouldn't POST on bootup at all. He replaced the CPU with another and it works again. So it's just not worth the trouble. That's why I said I won't do it. And the performance he got with HT just wasn't that great. Too bad he went to all that trouble...

He did the mod with a 2.8GHz BTW.

g0at
12-11-02, 05:01 PM
what ever happened to good ol bus speed o/c'in?
you cant get too high but its better than nothing :cool: