PDA

View Full Version : what do i need to get hardware decoding working ?

Sgt_Pitt
01-28-05, 10:59 PM
Hello im bit confused with all this decoding and wmp, could someone explain it, ive read the other thread but theres no definitive answer, everyone seems to be a bit confused themselves.

I have a 6800u i downloaded some wmvhd vids i try to play them in WMP 10, i go the options and software decoding is enabled and harware decoding is greyed out

im using techconnect 71.24 drivers.

do i need anything else ?

is there any other form of hardware decoder available wmp ?

is the purevideo decoder from nvidia the only one we can use ? and since we have to pay for it to enable a feature that should come standard with our cards i think its rather lame if this is the case.

all i want to do is get wmp 10 to run vids with harware decoding. i heard something about 6800u not supporting hardware decoding ? whats the go ?

Seriously this is all screwed, the software shouldve all come in 1 package straight outta the box, no messing around just install and go. i swear if i was working down at NVidia a few people would be getting the axe, really its poor product support and for the newb its just confusing.

r2d2d3d4d5
01-29-05, 04:10 AM
This has been discussed to death on this forum I'm afraid. 6800U does not support hardware decoding of WMV. This feature is "not broken". Any reports/reviews/nVidia-feature-list of this feature were apparently mistaken. Your card does support WMV "SD/HD display processing including Gamma Correction and Color Space Conversion" (more info here (http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html))

You can buy add-in cards that support WMV decoding acceleration.

Sgt_Pitt
01-29-05, 09:30 AM
hmm im looking at the list and i can see the 6800 supports wmv hardware decode but not the Ultra or GT, thats a bit strange.

r2d2d3d4d5
01-29-05, 09:52 AM
hmm im looking at the list and i can see the 6800 supports wmv hardware decode but not the Ultra or GT, thats a bit strange.

You're looking at the PCI-E part of the list. 6800PCI-E is a different part (NV41). It's impossible to unlock it however (as it's built specifically to have 12pp,5vp). So you win some, you lose some.

JRd1st
01-29-05, 10:23 AM
You're looking at the PCI-E part of the list. 6800PCI-E is a different part (NV41). It's impossible to unlock it however (as it's built specifically to have 12pp,5vp). So you win some, you lose some.

What you need is a different card. When I built my new system, I got a 6600GT PCIe to hold me over until the Native PCIe cards come out. This thing plays DVD's with no decoder installed but you can see interlacing unless you install the nVIDIA DVD Decoder, too.

It's not a big thing to me to have low CPU usage while playing a DVD because I don't plan on crunching a spreadsheet while watching "Step into Liquid". But I understand the frustration of those that feel cheated by nvidia's false advertising. Even on a 6600GT, you STILL need a software decoder to get decent quality on a DVD or something. Just as nvidia provides drivers at no cost, they should bite the bullet and provide the means to allow customers to take advantage of the DVD decoder hardware they bought.

Lyme
01-29-05, 12:25 PM
That isn't completely true.. To take advantage of 'some' of the hardware decoding features you need to use the nvidia decoding and preproessing codecs. The only way I know of to get the decoder is by downloading the trial version http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.00.67-trial.html and at least with sagetv I notice a difference.