PDA

View Full Version : enabling 8x AGP?

da_murph
01-29-05, 11:54 AM
hi ppl, please be nice as its my first post :) , i recently bought a Geforce 6800 (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=132710) but it won't let me enable 8xAGP, i've been told by sum1 it makes hardly any difference anyway but i don't know if thats true :confused: . In the driver settings it only goes up to 4x and i've been unable to find the setting in the bios, i was told aswell that it was 8x when i bought the pc. This page has a walkthrough of my bios so if any1 cud take a minute to see if i actually have this setting that wud be cool http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layout.aspx?ID={4cedd9fe-b13f-4a6a-859b-3470a8457ed1}&CatID={4d8be734-b5ad-477e-818a-f6f21643c702}
I also have the specs of my pc if this helps http://www.geocities.com/da_murph2000
Also, if sum1 cud tell me how much it is safe to overclock by, and how much i increase it at a time that wud be a big help, i am using the new Xtreme G drivers and the settings are; No overclocking, Core-325Mhz, Memory-750MHz

Thx alot in advance :D

da_murph
01-29-05, 12:13 PM
You won't notice much of a difference by using 8x AGP. I think there is some sort of key combo you press to access the advanced features within that particular BIOS. Like ctrl+f2 or shift+f2...something like that. I'll look it up later if I have some time.

I think many people are getting their 6800nu cards as high as 390/1000, I'd start with something like 350/800, and slowly increase the amount of the overclock from there until it became unstable, and then back down a few mhz .

Thank you very much for ur help
:D
As u say 8X AGP wudn't make much difference but any improvement wud be good so if u cud find out if there is an advance feature that wud be kool :) Thx again :thumbsup:

PikachuMan
01-29-05, 12:50 PM
According to that geocities page you linked to, you motherboard is MS-6714.
MSI lists (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=368) it as being 4x AGP maximum. So, you can't get AGP 8X, it's a shame since that looks like a fairly recent board.

No offense, but that was one hard post to read, maybe use some spaces and not use weird notation like "wud" or "cud", please.

saturnotaku
01-29-05, 01:24 PM
No offense, but that was one hard post to read, maybe use some spaces and not use weird notation like "wud" or "cud", please.

Thank you. Also stop using "u" when referring to "you" - it's two extra keystrokes, I think you can manage. Also, for the love of all that's good and holy, capitalize "I."

da_murph
01-29-05, 01:41 PM
:D ok sorry, thanks for your help PikachuMan, @saturnotaku, why repeat what he already said, I think you can manage not to post unless you are going to be helpful

da_murph
01-29-05, 02:18 PM
I've just looked at the temperature of the card and it is: GPU Core Temperatue- 66 C and Ambient Temperatue- 43C. My friend told me this was way too high, what do you guys think? Thanks :)

$n][pErMan
01-29-05, 02:24 PM
GPU Core Temperatue- 66 C and Ambient Temperatue- 43C.
Is that idle? If so... thats to high.

da_murph
01-29-05, 02:27 PM
yeah thats without playing a game, what should I do then? Thanks

$n][pErMan
01-29-05, 02:59 PM
Well im not sure what tpyes of fans that model ussually comes with on other brands... but looking at the link u gave us that fan seems a little small and underpowered. I dont even see heatsinks on the memory. (but as I said... im not fimiliar with just the 128mb 6800 non ultra or GT). You could always buy a new heatsink and fan (tons of threads here about good ones). But if you have never done that before there could be a risk if you dont do it right.

da_murph
01-29-05, 04:37 PM
[pErMan']Well im not sure what tpyes of fans that model ussually comes with on other brands... but looking at the link u gave us that fan seems a little small and underpowered. I dont even see heatsinks on the memory. (but as I said... im not fimiliar with just the 128mb 6800 non ultra or GT). You could always buy a new heatsink and fan (tons of threads here about good ones). But if you have never done that before there could be a risk if you dont do it right.

ok I will look into it, in the meantime is it safe to continue playing games if the temperature is this high, I guess the performance would be affected but is it still ok to use?. Also, the card is connected to the same strand of the PSU as the harddrive (if that makes sense), could this be causing it?Thanks for your help :)

Kickus_assius
01-29-05, 05:07 PM
Wow those temps are very high. My BFG 6800 OC is clocked at 390/800 and it tops out after playing games for awhile at 61 C and idles at 44 C. At the stock speed these cards should only be at about 40 C.

da_murph
01-29-05, 06:41 PM
Wow those temps are very high. My BFG 6800 OC is clocked at 390/800 and it tops out after playing games for awhile at 61 C and idles at 44 C. At the stock speed these cards should only be at about 40 C.

ok thanks :) , would you say it was a faulty card then or another problem in your opinion?

$n][pErMan
01-29-05, 07:57 PM
Bad cooling .. unless there is some sort of crazy wierd short causing it.

da_murph
01-29-05, 11:02 PM
This is weird :confused: , ok i've had the card out for a few hours, i've moved my network card down a slot to give it more room and i've changed the cables around so now it is the only thing on the strand. I turn it back on and staight away its saying 62C GPU Core and 39C Ambient Temperature?? Any more help and advise would be greatly appreciated :)

Peoples-Agent
01-30-05, 12:25 AM
M8, try different drivers just out of curiousity ....an experiement you could call, following the usual ...add / remove programs > drivers , reboot to safe mode > run driver cleaner... reboot again , install a new set etc

Ill catch u on MSN later on m8 ,talk more about it then.

- D -

da_murph
01-30-05, 02:12 PM
why is my card saying GPU Core - 63C and ambient 40C when i first turn it on :confused: ? It can't possible be that temperatue can it if its been on for literally 20 seconds, it can't be accurate can it? What do you guys think? :)

GamerGuyX
01-30-05, 02:21 PM
it can't be accurate can it?

It's not. Unless you make it a habit of submerging your video card in liquid nitrogen for 20 seconds.

da_murph
01-30-05, 02:37 PM
ok if its not accurate what do you guys reccommend, just leave it and carry on how it is, get some extra cooling or send the card back :) , thx for everyones help so far :thumbsup:

GamerGuyX
01-30-05, 02:54 PM
Wait a minute, I just realized that I misread what you wrote. It looked like you wrote that your GPU core was - (negative) 63C at startup. :rolleyes: Its positive 63C right?

da_murph
01-30-05, 02:56 PM
yeah sorry wasn't that clear, i mean its +63C

GamerGuyX
01-30-05, 03:00 PM
yeah sorry wasn't that clear, i mean its +63C

Well my GPU temps usually idle around 60C and I've never had any problems (temp wise).

da_murph
01-30-05, 03:07 PM
ok thankyou m8 :) , this is without any overclocking aswell though :confused: , so do u still think its alright, i hardly know anything about this stuff but I see from ur sig that you have 6800 aswell so can i takie it if urs is alright at that temp then so is mine? If my computer blows up and I die i'll blame you!! LOL :D

GamerGuyX
01-30-05, 03:12 PM
If my computer blows up and I die i'll blame you!! LOL :D

I think you will be alright. :D

da_murph
01-30-05, 03:51 PM
I know this has nothing 2 do with it, but I don't want to start a new thread :cool: , from looking at my specs (see page 1), what do people advise to upgrade next, I have been told that new memory would help a great deal in terms of performance in-game, what do you think? thx again :D