PDA

View Full Version : Which PSU for my SLi 6600GT's

SpeedDemon
01-30-05, 01:14 AM
So I currently have a Antec TruePower 380W PSU that came with my Antec Sonata case, but I think that it's time for another upgrade since I now have an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, and SLi NVIDIA 6600 GT's. Other stuff in the system: Lite-on DVD-RW, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, 80GB SATA HD, Floppy, 1GB Mushkin DDR400, a 120mm case fan. I plan on at some point getting an HDTV QAM CI tuner card, and another HD for a RAID0. Other than that the sytem doesn't need to draw much more power for anything else, but I always like to be prepared and have nice stuff.

I have been looking at these:
Antec 480W NeoPower
Antec TruePower 550W EPS12V
OCZ PowerStream 520W w/ adjustable power rails
What do you guys think? Do you like any of those in particular? Is there a better one that I should be looking at in that price range? Thanks.

saturnotaku
01-30-05, 01:44 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32856

blueworm
01-30-05, 03:43 AM
Your present PSU antec 380W is more that enough for even x2 6600GT or x1 6800GT.
But the OCZ is very nice.

SpeedDemon
01-31-05, 02:57 AM
I think that I'm going to get the OCZ 520W PowerStream just to be ready for the future. Do you guys think that this is better than the Antec options?

Dazz
01-31-05, 03:28 AM
380w should be enough so long as you an't overclocking your CPU and it is a winchester as they use less power. Well at the moment i have the NEO PSU and have the following if you check my sig.

SpeedDemon
01-31-05, 04:31 AM
380w should be enough so long as you an't overclocking your CPU and it is a winchester as they use less power. Well at the moment i have the NEO PSU and have the following if you check my sig.That's just it though... I do plan on overclocking my CPU and have already had problems with overclocking I think because I'm not getting enough voltage to the CPU. I set the CPU at 1.65 volts and the AI program reports back to me that I'm only supplying like 1.45 volts, and it says this in the bios too. I can never get it to go above that. My other rails seem to be decent enough though, but they do fluctuate. I only got my Winchester 1.8GHz chip to o/c to 2.2GHz which I thought was pretty weak since the temp is still really low (like 36 degrees C).

SpeedDemon
01-31-05, 04:34 AM
I guess I just want some people to tell me I'm actually overkilling it with a more powerful PSU considering I'm overclocking a Winchester and running SLi 6600GT's. :confused:

mustrum
01-31-05, 05:43 AM
I guess I just want some people to tell me I'm actually overkilling it with a more powerful PSU considering I'm overclocking a Winchester and running SLi 6600GT's. :confused:
Don't underestimate the winchester. It's a real power sucker once you up the vcore and clockrate.

emailthatguy
01-31-05, 06:56 AM
im running a thermaltake 480. been real happy w/ their power supplies the last couple years and you can find them at a decent price. not the best out there by a long shot, but they are pretty damn decent if you ask me

SpeedDemon
01-31-05, 12:01 PM
im running a thermaltake 480. been real happy w/ their power supplies the last couple years and you can find them at a decent price. not the best out there by a long shot, but they are pretty damn decent if you ask me
Thanks, but I think that I'm really just looking at the three I listed above as they seem to be the best PSU's under like $150.

blueworm
01-31-05, 12:03 PM
That's just it though... I do plan on overclocking my CPU and have already had problems with overclocking I think because I'm not getting enough voltage to the CPU. I set the CPU at 1.65 volts and the AI program reports back to me that I'm only supplying like 1.45 volts, and it says this in the bios too. I can never get it to go above that. My other rails seem to be decent enough though, but they do fluctuate. I only got my Winchester 1.8GHz chip to o/c to 2.2GHz which I thought was pretty weak since the temp is still really low (like 36 degrees C).
This is more than likely a mobo bug, it happens to me also with my k8n neo. I set it to 1.7v and the sensors report 1.65v this may be either the sensor reporting incorrectly or the Vcore circuit not bieng in sync with the bios. Just measure the 12v rail with a multimeter if there is no voltage drop it should rule out the PSU.

SpeedDemon
01-31-05, 12:22 PM
Just sold some of my laptop RAM on ebay a few minutes ago for $30 more than I paid for it on Newegg.com like 6 months ago, so I'm taking that money and I just purchased the OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU. I'll sell the 380W Antec on ebay once I get the new one, but I'll post my results on the difference. Thanks for the help you guys.

mustrum
01-31-05, 12:40 PM
Just sold some of my laptop RAM on ebay a few minutes ago for $30 more than I paid for it on Newegg.com like 6 months ago, so I'm taking that money and I just purchased the OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU. I'll sell the 380W Antec on ebay once I get the new one, but I'll post my results on the difference. Thanks for the help you guys.

You wont regret that. Most impressive PSU i've ever owned. Could be a bit more silent tho.

ChrisRay
01-31-05, 01:30 PM
Atm I'm using an Enermax 535 Watt with Dual 12V rails. ((Each rail has 18A on it))

PSYCHODAD
01-31-05, 01:40 PM
You wont regret that. Most impressive PSU i've ever owned. Could be a bit more silent tho.
Your's is noisey? I can barely hear mine run. My raptor hd makes more noise.

SpeedDemon
01-31-05, 03:15 PM
Cool, I'm really looking forward to getting it on like Wednesday or Thursday when it shows up from newegg.com. :)