PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard & Memory Question.

Delbert
01-30-05, 04:22 PM
Hi guys/gals

The next step in my upgrade plans is fast approaching....

i need some help in choosing my new MB...

I have decided on the CPU ( A64 Win 3500+ ), but i am unsure about the MB.
MSi Neo2 with the Nforce3 Ultra chipset, or the Asus Av8deluxe with the 800Pro chipset. Looking for the oe to best exploit the processor. plz bear in mind that i am relative newbie when you reply. Have read some things about the Neo2 here but not much about the Asus.

Also, what determines if you can run memory at 1T settings. The memory, the MB or a combination ?

thnx in advance

zoomy942
01-30-05, 05:10 PM
with the mobo, it's alot about compatibilty. i have heard that MSI tends to have mroe of those issues, but that may be the Via chipsets. I have always been partial to the nforce 3 chipset cause it does everything. there is no need for a southbridge chip. but bear in mind, you need to look into how it is implemented. some makers dont have the chipset running all the items, i.e. the gig nic or the sata may be bound the pci bus, which defeats the advantages of the newer chipsets. Asus always makes great mobo's, but sometimes (just my opinion) you pay for the name more than anything else. the epox ep-9nda3j (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-230&depa=0) takes full advantage of the chip, as does the epox ep-9nda3+ (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-222&depa=0)

i am partial to epox only because i have never had any troubles with them. and after gigabyte broke my kneecaps :). but asus, abit, and for me.. epox.. make great boards. keep in mind, do you need 2 or 4 sata ports, or pci express (nforce 4), or firewire. lastly, if you choose to use cool and quiet, be sure the mobo supports it (most do).

jAkUp
01-30-05, 06:51 PM
Yea, my buddy has the epox board, its an awesome board (make sure you flash it to the last version)

zoomy942
01-30-05, 06:56 PM
Yea, my buddy has the epox board, its an awesome board (make sure you flash it to the last version)

he has the "J"? i got it after my annyance with the gigabyte board. how's it working out? does his chipset show up in windows as the nvidia 250gb or the ultra?

Rob80
01-30-05, 10:42 PM
I really like the Asus Av8 Deluxe Rev2. I have a lot of stuff hooked up to it & I have no issues at all. O/C's to 2.21 with ease AND it was one of the easiest systems I have ever thrown together! :smoking2:

MUYA
01-30-05, 11:04 PM
I really like the Asus Av8 Deluxe Rev2. I have a lot of stuff hooked up to it & I have no issues at all. O/C's to 2.21 with ease AND it was one of the easiest systems I have ever thrown together! :smoking2:
In terms of stabilty with my FX53, I like the ASUS A8V Deluxe rev 2.0 too. However, there is one little quirk I do not like about it, the USB headers are placed so that my Lian Li's front panel USB wires leads cannot even plug into the motherboard headers. Whereas, in my previous ABIT NF-7S r 2.0 , it wasn't a problem! But apart from that this A8V kicks major butt cleavege!

Delbert
01-31-05, 03:33 AM

Now that is what i want to hear. Being a newbie i am looking for something that is easy !

Thx Guys.

What about the memory question. Is it memory that determines 1T capability ? I have read hear that if i can get 1T runing, it is better than buying faster ram.

MUYA
01-31-05, 03:34 AM
No u have to disbale 2T command in the Bios to run your memory at 1T!

Delbert
01-31-05, 05:46 AM
No u have to disbale 2T command in the Bios to run your memory at 1T!

Yes i am aware of that as i tried it on my ageing P4 board and had to clear the CMOS to boot again. :cool: What i trying to get at is, is the memory the contolling factor that determines whether i can run 1T, or is it the chipset ? Which one is likely to not be capable of it ?

If it is memory, what make would be able to do 1T ? Got a few bucks on the way, so i am going to spend it.... :D

thnx again.

macatak
01-31-05, 05:58 AM
Yes i am aware of that as i tried it on my ageing P4 board and had to clear the CMOS to boot again. :cool: What i trying to get at is, is the memory the contolling factor that determines whether i can run 1T, or is it the chipset ? Which one is likely to not be capable of it ?

If it is memory, what make would be able to do 1T ? Got a few bucks on the way, so i am going to spend it.... :D

thnx again.
I'd like to ask the same question to because i'm having trouble running the 1T setting with my current ram, Far Cry constantly quits to the desktop if i have it set at 1T but runs fine at 2T.

Update: ran MemTest for 6 hrs and got an error so it's it look like it's the ram that's at fault.