PDA

View Full Version : DVD doesn't work after SLi

SpeedDemon
01-31-05, 07:15 PM
I always get a garbled mess when watching a DVD ever since I got my second 6600 GT workin in SLi. I'm using the 1.0.0.67 NVIDIA DVD Decoder, and I've tried using 66.93, 67.66, 71.25, 71.40, and 71.50 drivers. The whole purpose of my computer is more so for watching DVD's actually than play games so this is a huge disappointment. Any suggestions?

Here is a picture of what I see:

http://students.washington.edu/amarks/images/garbled.JPG

garikfox
01-31-05, 07:18 PM
No offense but this doesnt suprise me at all. :(

What about Cyberlink ?

jAkUp
01-31-05, 07:23 PM
If you disable SLI mode in your nvidia options does the problem go away?

SpeedDemon
01-31-05, 07:57 PM
If you disable SLI mode in your nvidia options does the problem go away?
Yes, there is no problem with SLi disabled.

I'll give Cyberlink a try tonight and get back to you, but NVIDIA's DVD decoder has all the features I want.... DTS, AC3, and PureVideo in MCE2005.

garikfox
01-31-05, 07:58 PM
I bet Cyber wrks for ya. :)

newls1
01-31-05, 08:11 PM

I'll give Cyberlink a try tonight and get back to you, but NVIDIA's DVD decoder has all the features I want.... DTS, AC3, and PureVideo in MCE2005.

Isn't this amazing! with todays technology you would think that before a company releases "SLI" you would think that a driver, and all programs "WILL" be compatiable 100%. Go back 5-6 years ago when we "ALL" did Voodoo2 in "SLI" mode, and I didn't have not "1" problem PERIOD :rolleyes: . It really makes me think about todays technology, or at least the manufacture that puts it out. :type:

garikfox
01-31-05, 08:14 PM
Yeah its called, $ ! :)

jAkUp
01-31-05, 09:09 PM
Isn't this amazing! with todays technology you would think that before a company releases "SLI" you would think that a driver, and all programs "WILL" be compatiable 100%. Go back 5-6 years ago when we "ALL" did Voodoo2 in "SLI" mode, and I didn't have not "1" problem PERIOD :rolleyes: . It really makes me think about todays technology, or at least the manufacture that puts it out. :type:

Voodoo2's were 3D ONLY cards, different ballgame.

SpeedDemon
02-01-05, 01:46 AM
Voodoo2's were 3D ONLY cards, different ballgame.
There are still tons of problems there that don't need to be there though with NVIDIA's SLi. I think that it was rushed to the market a generation to early.

ChrisRay
02-01-05, 05:00 AM

Completely different technology back then.

No Pixel sharders, No geometry assist, No render to texture. No FP Blending, 3dfx had alot less to worry about or contend with in its drivers.. Keep in mind SLi is enabled while in 2d mode as well. As Jakup pointed out. SLI for 3dfx card was purely for 3d applications and increasing fillrate/framebuffer. Hell Voodoo3 only had primitive hard assist for DVD, and Voodoo2 had none.

Is it really that much of an annoyance to click off "Enable SLI" in the control panel and reboot your system? Hell it takes me 1 minute max. Obviously there is a legitimate driver problem. But surely it isnt life changing to take that 45 second to 1 minute reboot of the system in order to view a DVD. Conveniant? No. Earth shattering priority type bug? Unlikely.

SpeedDemon
02-01-05, 07:44 AM
Is it really that much of an annoyance to click off "Enable SLI" in the control panel and reboot your system? Hell it takes me 1 minute max. Obviously there is a legitimate driver problem. But surely it isnt life changing to take that 45 second to 1 minute reboot of the system in order to view a DVD. Conveniant? No. Earth shattering priority type bug? Unlikely.Actually it would be nice if it were only that easy, but I'm dealing with multiple NVIDIA bugs. I have my cards hookedup to my HDTV and that is really my primary monitor, I actually don't even at the time own another monitor. It's hooked up via DVI-HDMI, and as of now NVIDIA drivers don't allow you to enable SLI over this type of connection to an HDTV. So I have to trick it everytime I want to.....

I have to connect the computer via component video, then enable SLI. Now I restart the computer, the computer runs like ass though because NVIDIA also doesn't support SLI over component video, but at least they allow you to enable it. Then I shut the computer down, connect it via DVI-HDMI, and boot it back up. The whole process takes more like 5 minutes for me and is very annoying because my computer is mixed in with my home entertainment center. :thumbdwn:

SpeedDemon
02-01-05, 07:51 AM
Just curious, but has anyone got in touch with NVIDIA about this?

The more people that bug a hardware company about a driver problem, the quicker these things seem to get fixed. So if you are having this problem go to NVIDIA's support page (http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html) and then go under the DVD Decoder, and then ask a question. In order to ask a question though, you actually need to have purchased the DVD Decoder.

I kind of feel like NVIDIA is a chick who just played me real good and took all my money or something :p. $700 on my total setup went towards them, and actually like another $75 more if you count my NVTV.

SpeedDemon
02-01-05, 09:14 AM
Someone over at NVIDIA's forums (http://forums.nvidia.com) just posted that they don't have DVD playback corruption when SLI is enabled with the 71.25 drivers. It seems so wierd to me though because before I tried the 71.80 drivers I'm sure that I was using the 71.25's. Looks like I'm going to need to do a complete driver uninstall and reinstall the 71.25's.

It might have something to do with a difference though between the NV41 (he was running) and the NV43 (that I have). I'll get back to you guys.

ssj4goku887
02-01-05, 08:03 PM
last time i tried the nvidia dvd decoder it actualy made my playback worse :\ i think you should try taking it off.

SpeedDemon
02-01-05, 08:24 PM
When I sent an email to NVIDIA's tech support, this is the response that I got back:Thanks for your report and comments. However, NVIDIA is already aware of this problem with corrupted video playback in SLI mode. We are actively working to resolve it for a future update.

Best regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care