PDA

View Full Version : BIOS settings not being retained

Clay
02-01-05, 12:05 AM
(See my sig for system specs)

I've checked over in the Gigabyte section of amdmb's forums about this and didn't see anything.

The following options in my BIOS (Award F5) are not being retained (according to Sandra 2004):

Felxible AGP 8X -- options are "Auto", "8X", and "4X". I set to either Auto or 8X and Sandra reports that my AGP bus speed is actually 4X. Sandra does report that Maximum Data Transfer Rate is 8X though.

Fast-Writes -- options are "Disabled" and "Auto". I set to Auto but Sandra reports Fast-Writes Enabled No

This is my first Gigabyte board and first trouble with any of these settings that I've ever had (I've had many, many motherboards).

The biggest problem for me currently is that 3DMark05 scores are in the 2800s. It's practically a slideshow through most of the tests.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

jAkUp
02-01-05, 02:28 AM
Have you flashed to the latest version? Are your other BIOS settings being kept?

Clay
02-01-05, 07:45 AM
Yes, flashed to F5 version (latest official) and my other BIOS settings are being kept.

saturnotaku
02-01-05, 08:23 AM
That's a weird one. Have you reported this trouble to Gigabyte? It sounds like this is something that can be fixed via a BIOS update. I know MSI is pretty good about sending out beta versions to customers having trouble. Hopefully you'll have similar luck.

Clay
02-01-05, 09:13 AM
No, haven't contacted Gigabyte about this. I'm still under the impression that this is something I'm just overlooking since I'm not familiar with Gigabyte motherboards. But that impression is wearing out fast. :)

nrs421
02-01-05, 09:31 AM
i got rid of my gigabyte k8nsultra 939 and went with the epox 9nda3+, needless to say i am thrilled about it....no problems at all

Pandora's Box
02-01-05, 09:54 AM
clay, just how much more crap are you going to take from that board? from your posts about the problems you have been having, if I was you, I would of dumped it already and got a Epox or Abit AV8

Clay
02-01-05, 10:11 AM
Perhaps I'm just more patient than some people. I don't know, I'm stubborn is more like it. :D

$n][pErMan
02-01-05, 01:23 PM
Last time a motherboard did that to me was because of a bad battery. Try changing it... could fix the problem.

quik_2_win
02-01-05, 07:11 PM
It's possible that SANDRA is having a "monthly cycle', and mis-reporting the information...have you looked in the driver control panel to verify? Also, the 2005 version of SANDRA is (has been) out, you might want to update your version...

If you don't have the "AGP settings" tab in the driver control panel, either try nVtweak, or run: regedit- in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nvidia Corporation\Global\NVtweak -add a new DWORD value "NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage" with a value of "1".

Clay
02-01-05, 07:32 PM
I was just getting ready to update my situation. The outcome is good. :)

I was running the Guru3D 6.xx nForce drivers. That was apparently the only problem. I reverted back to the official 5.10s and everything is great now. My 3DMark05 score is over 5,000, AGP8X is recognized in Sandra 2004 and 2005 as well as Fast Writes showing up correctly. Also, I'm a long time user of rewt's coolbits and nvtweak. The AGP settings weren't even showing up under the 6.xx nForce drivers but now are.

I do think Sandra 2004 was giving me some sketchy feedback and I will check on the battery. It's new but you never now. I picked up Sandra 2005 recently as well so that has shown more accurate results on my +12V rail.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad that I stuck with this and figured it out. I do like this motherboard, it's been rock solid and I've just had some (some self-inflicted) quirks that weren't worth quitting on IMO.