PDA

View Full Version : Should I RMA My BFG 6800 Ultra?

Sox
02-01-05, 02:54 AM
Hi all,

After some advise. I have had my BFG 6800 OC Ultra for 3 months now and have the following issue -

In several games such as COD / HL2 / Far Cry, I get artifacts such as - flickering shadows
Objects in the distance dissapear then reappear
Objects in the distance move or change shape as I move (distort)

I have tried every driver imaginable - official and beta, currently on 67.76. I have reformatted my PC and tried all different bios settings. I have tested my power supply to see if it drops power, but my Antec 550 Trye Power stays nice and constant. My heat is probably a bit high, but I am in Australia and its summer - I have 3 case fans my temps are idle between 50-60, never of 70 when playing games so after reading other temps think that this is fine.

Question is - is this enough to RMA the card and do you think I should with these issues?

Sox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

P4c800 Deluxe
P4c 3.4
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
1gb Corsair XL 2-2-2-5
Antec 550 True Power

jAkUp
02-01-05, 02:58 AM
Have you tried downclocking the card a tad?

Demanufakture
02-01-05, 03:56 AM
I have a bfg geforce 6800 gt oc that is not overclocked because i never overclock and have no problems in COD or Farcry like you describe. No need to oc the bfg cards, they are already oc'd. :cool:

Sox
02-01-05, 03:58 AM
I run the card at the stock speeds it comes with, do not overclock. It comes at default 425/1100 3D and 400/1100 2D. I have tried downclocking the 3D speed to 400/1100 to see if that makes a difference but it doesnt. This is why I am now thinking RMA

Demanufakture
02-01-05, 04:00 AM
Weird, don't know what to tell you. maybe you should RMA.

Demanufakture
02-01-05, 04:00 AM
How many watts is your PSU?

Sox
02-01-05, 04:11 AM
550 watts - Antec True Power. I know for sure the issue is not with the power - checked that out thoroughly. When I play Far Cry and in an outside bit where you run past a big cliff face, a big weird grey shadow move all over it with my movements, over the normal graphics for the cliff face. Thinking there might be something wrong with the memory on my card?? Don't really know, just guessing - possibly it's just screwed.

Demanufakture
02-01-05, 04:34 AM
Im not sure if what you are describing is a bug. When you walk around a cliff things do pop up in the back ground as you move toward them. This is just normal behavior of the cryengine for performance reasons. Maybe you can provide a screenshot of this issue you are having to verify whether or not its actually a bug. In farcry, objects like trees and bushes in the far distance turn into 2d sprites and change to a 3d model as you move closer to them.

saturnotaku
02-01-05, 05:27 AM
In several games such as COD / HL2 / Far Cry, I get artifacts such as - flickering shadows
Objects in the distance dissapear then reappear
Objects in the distance move or change shape as I move (distort)

This is normal in Far Cry as Demanufakture described. The same goes for HL2 as well. I'm pretty sure if you put another video card in there you will see the same thing.

DenverBuc
02-01-05, 09:00 AM
550 watts - Antec True Power. I know for sure the issue is not with the power - checked that out thoroughly. When I play Far Cry and in an outside bit where you run past a big cliff face, a big weird grey shadow move all over it with my movements, over the normal graphics for the cliff face. Thinking there might be something wrong with the memory on my card?? Don't really know, just guessing - possibly it's just screwed.

Hey, SOX, is that an Antec True Power or True Control ?

I had some issues with my BFG 6800 Ultra OC. Turns out they were due to my Power Supply. The True Control comes with a front control panel that installs into one of your 5.25" bays. without it installed, the PS recognizes the missing features and places a "governor" on itself to protect against mis-use. Installing the control panel enables full operation at specs and then solved my problem.

JaxMacFL
02-01-05, 09:24 AM
I run the card at the stock speeds it comes with, do not overclock. It comes at default 425/1100 3D and 400/1100 2D. I have tried downclocking the 3D speed to 400/1100 to see if that makes a difference but it doesnt. This is why I am now thinking RMA

I have a BFG 6800 Ultra and my stock settings are 425/1100 for 2D and 3D. Don't know if that could be a problem for you or not.

DenverBuc
02-01-05, 11:45 AM
I have a BFG 6800 Ultra and my stock settings are 425/1100 for 2D and 3D. Don't know if that could be a problem for you or not.

Yes, that is a known fix, SOX. U should try it out - set your 2D and 3D clocks the same. Prevents other problems - not what you are describing, but it could not hurt.

Another popular fix for our cards is to disable Fast Writes in the BIOS (not in the driver as this does not correct the issue). Again, this is not for your specific problem, just another fix many are using to counter other issues like stuttering and lockups.

Sox
02-02-05, 05:17 AM
This is normal in Far Cry as Demanufakture described. The same goes for HL2 as well. I'm pretty sure if you put another video card in there you will see the same thing.

I tried just this - I asked a mate round with his x800pro - exacltly the same issues, all except for the grey shadow on the cliff face that moves as you walk, (I will post a screenshot to show you). But generally you were right, most issues are there on the ATI card also - a game issue not card issue then. One thing to note though from playing with the ATI card - it's much smoother in Far Cry than my 6800 Ultra but I found the Nvidia card played HL2 much better and smoother, and I think looks better also - didn't expect that.