PDA

View Full Version : 71.80 and 67.90 vs older drivers : performance analysis

Pages : [1] 2

boro
02-01-05, 07:51 AM
Continuing on previous benchmarks, I added the 2 latest drivers and put them in graphs to refresh my excel Sk1llz ;)

All benches with default driver settings at stock speed.

Riddick 1280*960 SM2 no AA 16xAF Security research 2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pictarz/bench1.jpg

Painkiller:BooH 1600*1200 4xAA 16xAF Leningrad
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pictarz/bench2.jpg

Doom 3 1024*768 ultra 0xAA 8xAF timedemo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pictarz/bench3.jpg

Enemy Territory 1600*1200 8xSSAA 16xAF Oasis
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pictarz/bench4.jpg

Shadermark default settings Shader 19
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pictarz/bench5.jpg

3Dmark05 default settings
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pictarz/bench6.jpg

Aquamark default settings
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pictarz/bench7.jpg

Farcry 8xAF HDR level 7 Regulator
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pictarz/bench8.jpg

When including bugs, IQ and heat, it's back to 71.25 for me :(

SpeedDemon
02-01-05, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I agree that the 71.25's are currently the best driver. I was using them before I installed the 71.80's, but am basically just sick of NVIDIA's drivers at the moment and haven't even bothered going back to 71.25. I'm running an SLi setup right now and IMO it's just way to buggy.

saturnotaku
02-01-05, 08:28 AM
Nice work boro. It's too bad we can't find one driver set that excels in most games/benchmarks in terms of performance and IQ. Each release seems to have its own strengths and weaknesses. 67.90 are my frontrunners for now, followed by 70.78 and 71.20 tied for second and then 67.03 at the back of the pack.

Though when I get my SLI setup in a few weeks I may have to go to the 67.66 set because of its improved compatibility albeit at a performance penalty in some games.

wEEt
02-01-05, 08:41 AM
Maybe we'll see a new official driver when you get your SLI setup, sat!

saturnotaku
02-01-05, 08:55 AM

Your mouth to the hardware god's ear my friend. They'll have plenty of time to do it since I'm not going to order the second card until I get my tax refund. In the meantime, the 67.90 drivers will do just fine. :)

SpeedDemon
02-01-05, 09:00 AM
NVIDIA has so many issues with their drivers, it makes you wonder what they are doing over there in software developement. I think that they need to hire a few more engineers to help out with driver production and bug fixes.

Tikimotel
02-01-05, 11:14 AM
Can you bench "Halo"for the PC for us... just try it with 71.80, you'll be amazed :P

jAkUp
02-01-05, 12:37 PM
Sadly the 71.25 drivers dont work properly in Swat4 with SLI :(

Superfly
02-01-05, 01:11 PM

mid-feb ;)

wEEt
02-01-05, 01:54 PM
Yeah, many people say that...I hope I'm not going to be disappointed again. I hope - if it comes - the driver will be better than the 71.80 is.

JimBobb
02-01-05, 02:22 PM
And i hope with SLI-Support for the Top-Games:

Pacific Fighters (Ubisoft)
Medal of Honor Pacific Assault (EA)
Need for Speed Underground II (EA)
LockOn (Ubisoft)
Grand Prix 4 (Microprose) ;)

saweetnesstrev
02-01-05, 03:45 PM
Thanks for benchmarking these drivers....

mike2h
02-02-05, 11:01 AM
thx for the good work!

$n][pErMan
02-02-05, 11:37 AM
67.66a's work for me. Who needs pissy water in HL2?!?!

tret
02-02-05, 04:17 PM
It would be nice if we could get some unified mobo drivers as well as some updated Forceware drivers. I cant seem to find any one driver that is good for all the games I like to play. I just finished Doom3 using the 67.66 drivers but they are really slow for Farcry. So I will need to do some testing to find out what drivers to use for that. My driver archive is starting to contain directories with names of games and then driver versions within those, kinda sad really.

tret

$n][pErMan
02-02-05, 06:06 PM
My driver archive is starting to contain directories with names of games and then driver versions within those, kinda sad really.
Im not that extreme... but I do have like 15 sets of drivers that I have downloaded in like the past two months :p

Leech
02-02-05, 06:55 PM
Well, not that I'm a big fan of nVidia's driver dev team or anything, but people complaining about the drivers being so varied should consider that they are mostly 'leaked' beta builds. Not official drivers.

I don't know which is better though, Matrox, who comes out with a new driver every 4 or 5 months (unless you're a linux user, in which case it took them a year!) Or ATI, which I think has a 6 month set schedule (Not sure, can't remember if it was 6 or 3 months, something like that). But ATI's drivers have had a lot more problems from what I've seen than nVidia's have. Especially on the Linux front.

What it comes down to is, nVidia is the KING of Linux drivers. Though much like other companies, they only release linux drivers occasionally. This leaking of a new driver every week or so, get's really bad. Good thing only weird sicko's (Like me) try new drivers all the time.

I wonder when they'll fix Shellshock 'Nam 67. It doesn't work at all on the nv4x cards.

Leech

macatak
02-02-05, 07:05 PM
Nice work :), damn, that's what i gotta learn is some graph skills :D

superklye
02-02-05, 07:13 PM
I wonder when they'll fix Shellshock 'Nam 67.
I don't think the problem's with Shellshock can be fixed via ANY driver.

K007
02-02-05, 09:16 PM
Who cares about piss water in HL2? Its not like you play HL2 again...i mean come on :/..ive seen alot of people go ...ewww piss water..uninstalled...frankly i dont care about hl2 water cause i dont even play the game.

Also the 71.80 does increase the idle temps, i dont think its a glitch either...if its a glitch then the load temps wont be the same..as this is the most case for everyone..i really think it is +10C and not a glitch.

superklye
02-02-05, 10:12 PM
I'm almost done with Hl2 for the second time and after that, I'm going to go through a third time and beat it on hard...I can't get sick of this game. It is so much fun!

jcossin
02-03-05, 10:30 AM
[pErMan']67.66a's work for me. Who needs pissy water in HL2?!?!

And 67.66 is the only set that work correctly with World of Warcraft so no way I'm switching...

evga6800ultra
02-06-05, 11:02 AM
I don't know which is better though, Matrox, who comes out with a new driver every 4 or 5 months (unless you're a linux user, in which case it took them a year!) Or ATI, which I think has a 6 month set schedule (Not sure, can't remember if it was 6 or 3 months, something like that). But ATI's drivers have had a lot more problems from what I've seen than nVidia's have. Especially on the Linux front.

Leech

ATI releases a set of WHQL drivers every month, they are scheduled for every 4 weeks and they are delivered as promised. Performance and bug fixes get done exceptionally fast. ATI has turned around their drivers 180 degress no doubt about it. NV used to have the best drivers, not anymore. And these leaks get old with one set excelling in one thing but introducing a new bug. Nvidia needs to get the driver team back to the drawing board and, I hate to say it, but follow ATI's lead - fix bugs, get beta tester feedback and release some WHQL drivers every 4 weeks. Unless they do Nvidia will never have the support ATI does now.

Until then, Nvidia's drivers :thumbdwn:

OWA
02-06-05, 12:02 PM
ATI releases a set of WHQL drivers every month, they are scheduled for every 4 weeks and they are delivered as promised. Performance and bug fixes get done exceptionally fast. ATI has turned around their drivers 180 degress no doubt about it. NV used to have the best drivers, not anymore. And these leaks get old with one set excelling in one thing but introducing a new bug. Nvidia needs to get the driver team back to the drawing board and, I hate to say it, but follow ATI's lead - fix bugs, get beta tester feedback and release some WHQL drivers every 4 weeks. Unless they do Nvidia will never have the support ATI does now.

Until then, Nvidia's drivers :thumbdwn:
I assume you're not kidding so...

I'd prefer not to have drivers released every month. ATI is very good at releasing them every month and breaking something that was working with an earlier release. I got to the point that I stopped upgrading them just so I wouldn't have to re-figure out how to get various games running properly. I'd much rather have drivers released less frequently that are stable and bug free, much like nvidia does. Of course, if there is an issue that needs to be fixed, that can sometimes be a pain since you have to wait. In general though, nvidia needs less fixes so there isn't a need to release drivers every month. Besides, it's not like ATI is fixing long-standing issues even though they're releasing drivers every month. I just recently tried out the new cat 5.1s and discovered they still have gamma issues and that has been there quite a while.

Anyway, I do believe ATI is getting there but currently I'd say they still have a ways to go before catching nvidia. Just trying to play a few games recently on my X800 Pro was a rude reminder of that. Bear in mind, I'm not saying either one is perfect. Both have issues, I just have a lot less issues with nvidia's drivers.

evga6800ultra
02-06-05, 08:52 PM
I assume you're not kidding so...

I'd prefer not to have drivers released every month. ATI is very good at releasing them every month and breaking something that was working with an earlier release. I got to the point that I stopped upgrading them just so I wouldn't have to re-figure out how to get various games running properly. I'd much rather have drivers released less frequently that are stable and bug free, much like nvidia does. Of course, if there is an issue that needs to be fixed, that can sometimes be a pain since you have to wait. In general though, nvidia needs less fixes so there isn't a need to release drivers every month. Besides, it's not like ATI is fixing long-standing issues even though they're releasing drivers every month. I just recently tried out the new cat 5.1s and discovered they still have gamma issues and that has been there quite a while.

Anyway, I do believe ATI is getting there but currently I'd say they still have a ways to go before catching nvidia. Just trying to play a few games recently on my X800 Pro was a rude reminder of that. Bear in mind, I'm not saying either one is perfect. Both have issues, I just have a lot less issues with nvidia's drivers.

I've been using ATI products for awhile just do to the fact that the Nvidia drivers are all over the place. Using the 71.80's now the framerates are great but Halo is broken, the temps are high and the refresh overrides are now gone. The last set of WHQL is from November and the performance is very, very slow however refresh override was not yet removed from the drivers and the temps were 10 degrees lower. I'm sorry but Nvidia needs to get their drivers straightened out. I WAS a huge fan of Nvidia and really disgusted with ATI but things have changed - I own both the X800XT PE and the eVGA 6800 Ultra so I too see both sides of things, currently I don't have any issues with the games I play with the XT PE, I do have issues with Halo and a few others with the Ultra.

Building systems for people I was always suggesting Nvidia products, however over the last year I've only been building systems with ATI cards, I'd rather install Catalyst drivers than dig through 15 sets of leaked betas to find a driver that all games work correctly with on a PC I build for someone else.

Without external beta testers Nvidia just has no idea what they break with each release, or so it seems. I really think Nvidia needs to take the approach ATI has with driver support, feedback and WHQL updates - thats just me but when I pay $500 for something I expect it to work correctly from the time I take it out of the box.

Oh to give an example about NVs drivers. HL2 has yellow water with 7x.xx up to 71.80 (it was finally fixed), however now Halo is broken. So HL2 works, but now Halo is broken, so what drivers do you use? Do you go back to 6x.xx and deal with lower overall performance? I don't want to. Also, in 3D Mark 2003 the noses of the planes are transparent. I just wish there was a way to submit things to Nvidia to get them fixed faster. I'm really happy with 71.80 performance just get a few things fixed without breaking something else (which I know ATI does too) and I'd be happy! :)