PDA

View Full Version : What are the symptoms of not having enough power?

Kickus_assius
02-01-05, 11:27 AM
The question above assuming the system boots fine. I have a wireless PCI card that is making the sound skip and the PC freeze, but it picks up the wireless fine and connects to the internet fine. It's just that the card's activity causes the cpu usage to dramatically jump and causes skipping of sound and games and eventually lockups. I don't know if it's mobo incompatibility or power not being enough. I only have a noname 350W, but it works fine when the card is absent. That being said it looks like the card draws a lot more power than when it's not installed. This does not happen in my other comp. It's a D-Link DWL 520. I was wondering if anyone else had problems with this card.

The specs:
2500+ @ 2800+
MSI KT4 Ultra Mobo with Latest 4in1
1024 MB Generic Ram Passed Memtest 86
Inno3D 6800 NU 128MB

Daneel Olivaw
02-01-05, 05:38 PM
A cheap 350W and a 6800... bad idea.

Ninjaman09
02-01-05, 05:50 PM
Here's something funny - the system in my sig runs totally fine and this Shuttle has a 240W PSU in it, though I think it's a quality one. So who knows. Usually hard reboots are a sign of a PSU problem.

superklye
02-01-05, 06:19 PM
I read something a while back about PSUs and a lot of people, even some big-wigs at nVIDIA said that the wattage wasn't a hard and fast guideline...a lot of times a very high quality PSU from a reputable manufacturer that is at a much lower than recommended wattage for the card will work better than something above and beyond the wattage req's that is a no-name POS.

Clay
02-01-05, 06:35 PM
superkyle is correct. Watts alone are nothing to go by. Even the amp rating on the +12V rail (most would agree that you want at least 18A rating or higher nowadays) isn't very accurate at times. It's best to stick with name brand PSUs and even then it pays to do your homework and make sure that the specs they claim are accurate (or at least very close).

Riptide
02-01-05, 06:38 PM
Hard lockups and system reboots often point to bad power supply. Sometimes if you are having trouble getting stable when overclocked - that can also be attributable to the power supply though I would look elsewhere first depending on the situation.

I would nearly always reformat/reinstall before replacing a part though. :)

kraigc
02-01-05, 07:19 PM
The wattage on the power supply isnt the sustained wattage. Whats listed is the max peak wattage.

Kickus_assius
02-01-05, 10:37 PM
PSU was fine turns out it was the crappy D-Link drivers causing the problem. I switched to the drivers made by the chipset for the PCI card's manufacturer and now it works beautifully.

Wireless 108Mbps, :)

SlyBoots
02-02-05, 01:48 AM
FWIW> http://www.datadepo.com/powerproblems.htm

Marcos
02-02-05, 06:47 AM
my 12v is 34a muwhahahahah