PDA

View Full Version : a little big problem .. help needed !

SH64
02-01-05, 06:55 PM
ok today while i was browsing , the keyboard suddenly stopped responding & i had this burning smell coming from the motherboard . i powered off the pc to find that an ic or transistor next to the keyboard ps2 port is burnt !
upong restarting the pc i got a "keyboard error or not keyboard found" & i couldent get into the windows so i went ahead & started shaking the ps2 port several times until the keyboard worked & i got into windows .
everything is working fine excpet that the keyboard gives me troubles .. it stops when i use the caps lock or the num lock hence no caps in this thread :p

no i'm wondering what to do ?? if i ever powered of the pc i will have a hard time to get the keyboard to work again .. so its obviously that burnt transistor whats causing this .

note that yesterday i got a new rams & i made some overclocking but nothing too serious (from 3.0 to 3.2ghz) & was working stable
now i ran 3dmark05 & played a game & everything is working properly .

so what to do now ? it will be silly to get a new mobo just for this burnt transistor !! & my mobo has no warrenty now since it passed its warrenty limit (been using it for 2+ years ) :|

MUYA
02-01-05, 06:56 PM
USB keyboard?

SH64
02-01-05, 06:59 PM
USB keyboard?

no PS2
hmmm good idea .. maybe i should try a usb keyboard !

MUYA
02-01-05, 07:01 PM
That's what i meant...try a USB keyboard

SH64
02-01-05, 07:17 PM
thanks i'll get a usb asap & report back . i hope the problem dosent go further than that because i got a messge about "cpu unworkable or has been changed" when i powered on the pc after i tried to move the ps2 port . the bios shown incorrect clocks also so i had to reset bios & save it to get everything back to normal .

MUYA
02-01-05, 07:26 PM
hope it goes well for u mate.

jAkUp
02-01-05, 08:26 PM
Yea a USB keyboard should work fine, both my mice and keyboard are USB and I've had these for months :)

Viral
02-01-05, 08:26 PM
My mouse PS2 port died and I had to go USB, then just recently my keyboard PS2 port did the same. Luckily my keyboard was native USB anyway and I just had to remove the adaptor.

It's some sort of scam to get us to use USB I say!

jAkUp
02-01-05, 08:29 PM
USB is better anyways so I hear... lower latencies. I could be wrong though :)

nrs421
02-02-05, 10:27 AM
just to add when using a usb keyboard you might not be able to access the bios on older motherboards especially if you use the newer wireless keyboards. i had that problem with my old system but it went away when i upgraded my system...

SH64
02-02-05, 08:00 PM
I got a USB keyboard today & now its working fine :) .. but the keyboard sucks arrghh . its a cheap unknown brand one .
anyway i changed the BIOS to support the USB keyboard from BIOS rather than OS .
i moved the mouse to USB as well because it no longer work on PS2 .

MUYA
02-02-05, 08:10 PM
Well it's working ;)

hehe

SH64
02-02-05, 08:14 PM
Well it's working ;)

hehe

Yep thanks to your suggestion :)

now i'm going back to my crazy o/cing .. i just a got couple of OCZ DDR400 High Performance sticks (with platinum heat spreader) & want to overclock the hell out of them hehe .. god save this mobo :p

Tr1cK
02-02-05, 08:20 PM
I think it may be part of Intels plan to get rid of legacy devices. lol