PDA

View Full Version : 4x AA doesn't work on some games

bartender41
02-01-05, 09:59 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums but I have been reading posts for many months now. It has been a great source for information!

Anyhow... Before I get into deep specs, etc, I was wondering what could cause 4x AA not to work (from the nView performance and quality settings menu) but all the other AA modes do work? I play a lot of World of Warcraft and I was playing a lot of UT2004 before that. 4x AA simply doesn't get enabled, in fact, no AA gets enabled--it's just as jaggy as regular. I've used many different forceware drivers and I always get the same result. Games that have AA built in seem to be ok, its just when I use the forceware settings does this not work. I have a PNY 6800 GT (400/1100) and I've been using coolbits. I decided to try the 'new' 71.80 driver because WoW isn't busted anymore. I'll be glad to share other specs if necessary, but I figure it is a software issue? Just wondering if anyone else has the same problems and if there is any info about what could cause this!

I appreciate any help I can get with this. Thanks!

Clay
02-01-05, 10:04 PM
First, welcome to nV News. :)

Do you have bloom on? AA doesn't work with bloom enabled. You can find out more here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42500

bartender41
02-01-05, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I think bloom is the same thing as full screen glow effect, right?

I have this disabled because I know AA doesn't work at all with it. I just find it weird how 2x, 2xQ, and 8xS all work, but 4x doesn't do anything at all...

ChrisRay
02-01-05, 10:11 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums but I have been reading posts for many months now. It has been a great source for information!

Anyhow... Before I get into deep specs, etc, I was wondering what could cause 4x AA not to work (from the nView performance and quality settings menu) but all the other AA modes do work? I play a lot of World of Warcraft and I was playing a lot of UT2004 before that. 4x AA simply doesn't get enabled, in fact, no AA gets enabled--it's just as jaggy as regular. I've used many different forceware drivers and I always get the same result. Games that have AA built in seem to be ok, its just when I use the forceware settings does this not work. I have a PNY 6800 GT (400/1100) and I've been using coolbits. I decided to try the 'new' 71.80 driver because WoW isn't busted anymore. I'll be glad to share other specs if necessary, but I figure it is a software issue? Just wondering if anyone else has the same problems and if there is any info about what could cause this!

Finally! someone else whos experienced this bug! I experienced it alot in WoW, Sometimes 4x AA just stopped working. No real reason, No could I really comprehend why.

But it just did. My suggestion. The workaround is to force WoW into OpenGL. This is only application I had this problem with. And it wasnt even consistent. Sometimes it'd work for a while after a driver install. And just stop working. ANyway like I said, Try Opengl mode to fix the problem. Worked for me.

bartender41
02-01-05, 10:13 PM
I'm glad I finally found someone with the problem too! :)

I'll try OpenGL and let you guys know...

bartender41
02-01-05, 10:19 PM
Awesome... It worked. :)

Now I know WoW isn't too advanced graphically, but do you know off the top of your head if you lose anything going from DirectX over to OpenGL with this game?

I'm very glad I got this fixed--it looks just about as good as 8xS without the performance hits!

Thanks again for your help!

SH64
02-01-05, 10:20 PM
I might add that some games do not support AA like MOH: PA & in other cases some drivers dont enable AA in some games like chronicles of riddick & vampire : bloodlines .. updating with another version of the display drivers fixed all AA issues for me .

latinmike
02-01-05, 10:31 PM
Hey guys,

try gobal settings at default :cool:

ChrisRay
02-01-05, 10:51 PM
Awesome... It worked. :)

Now I know WoW isn't too advanced graphically, but do you know off the top of your head if you lose anything going from DirectX over to OpenGL with this game?

I'm very glad I got this fixed--it looks just about as good as 8xS without the performance hits!

Thanks again for your help!

You might have problem with the targetting rings like I did,.

Veger
02-02-05, 07:14 AM
Hi,

I ran across this as well with WOW, you have turn off the Bloom effect or they call it glow effect I believe. Then it will work fine. Any game that has this bloom effect disables AA that I ran across.