PDA

View Full Version : Pentium M on DFI (nvnews front page)

Daneel Olivaw
02-02-05, 09:10 AM
Like the review says, holy poop!

Goddammit, put some better memory bandwidth on that! Some Samsung TCCD and an FSB of 200+ instead of 133. In games, dual channel doesn't do squat.
http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/dfi-855gme-mgf/index.x?pg=7

rflair
02-02-05, 09:30 AM
I love seeing this, the Pentium M is basically a P3 with higher FSB support for DDR and other more modern tech. The P4 was/is a badly designed chip that did one thing good and that was high MHz. Its also nice to see the Pentium M on equal ground more or less with AMD in a MHz to MHz way.

Daneel Olivaw
02-02-05, 09:31 AM
I did love my Tualatin, it beat the crap out of Willamettes.
My Northy's is ok too, but the Pentium M is impressive, I wish Intel used those for dual cores...

CainSyris
02-03-05, 02:57 PM
I did love my Tualatin, it beat the crap out of Willamettes.
My Northy's is ok too, but the Pentium M is impressive, I wish Intel used those for dual cores...

They are using them for dualcores. Dualcore mobile this year; probably dual core desktop next year after they get x86-64 and SSE3 in the next revision of the Pentium-M.

Riptide
02-04-05, 08:27 AM
The Pentium4 did what it was designed to do well - sell. To say it was badly designed is just silly IMO. Inefficient compared to the competition, sure, but there was a time when the price/performance went to the P4. Around the time the 2600/2700+ XP first came out the P4 was a better deal in that regard.

Things ofcourse have changed since then. :D

Pandora's Box
02-04-05, 09:08 AM
price vs performance = no thanks. amd 64 3500+ is around 280, this processor is around 480.

ynnek
02-04-05, 01:10 PM
their mistake was to plan to ramp very high in GHZ.. but manufacturing couldn't pull thru with the predictions..

In the perfect work, the P4's are suppose to be in the 6 GHZ range now..

The Pentium4 did what it was designed to do well - sell. To say it was badly designed is just silly IMO. Inefficient compared to the competition, sure, but there was a time when the price/performance went to the P4. Around the time the 2600/2700+ XP first came out the P4 was a better deal in that regard.

Things ofcourse have changed since then. :D

Daneel Olivaw
02-04-05, 06:22 PM
They are using them for dualcores. Dualcore mobile this year; probably dual core desktop next year after they get x86-64 and SSE3 in the next revision of the Pentium-M.
Wrong, the only dual cores will be presscott, with 64 bit extensions and speedstep. Both mobile and desktop.

At least, it's what I heard.

bkswaney
02-04-05, 10:06 PM
Wrong, the only dual cores will be presscott, with 64 bit extensions and speedstep. Both mobile and desktop.

At least, it's what I heard.

Yep....

I see Intel getting more from the prescott
when they work out the fabs so they can raise the clock speeds.
The PS will see 5Ghz+ if Intel keeps working with it.

Or they will drop it and just use a higher IPC cpu like the M.