PDA

View Full Version : Modem's IP address not resetting....

Sorrow
02-02-05, 09:10 AM
Ok, so there's this girl I know and her mom's PC is super high maintenance (sp?), I'm probably over there 2-3 times a month. This time, she bought a Linksys 802.11g router (same as mine, but a little less modern). Anyways, her sons were trying to install it and had no idea how, so I went over there to try and fix it. I know how to install routers, but something wierd happened. The internet was working fine until I had wired it through the router, after wiring it and getting onto the last step of the installation process, and after it configured the router, it was searching for an internet connection and said it couldn't find one, but I knew it was working before because I went online to DL WinSoc. After looking around in the properties I noticed that after hardwiring the cable back to the modem, the modem's IP was still at the 192.168 number, which is the starting IP of the routers, and wasn't its original 68.xx number, and I tried resetting the modem via turning on and off and even hitting the reset button, but after all that it still thinks it's connected to the router and will not connect to the internet, any help?

Sorrow
02-02-05, 09:35 AM
Also; Command is totally shot, I try to run command and try to ipconfig it, but when i run command i get the errors "command.com can't start.....autoexec.init (i think it's a .init ending) is missing or corrupt.

Akirhol
02-02-05, 07:10 PM
When you say modem, I'm assuming you mean the PC's NIC, since the actual modems in a cable network don't have IP addresses [on my broadband provider's network they don't, anyways... they are identified by MAC only]. What version of windows? If it's NT based [NT/2000/XP], try "cmd" from the Run line, instead of "command". Despite looking very similar, they are very different. CMD is a Windows NT command console, COMMAND is a DOS command console emulator. If you can get into CMD, run "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew".

einstein_314
02-02-05, 11:41 PM
Are you talking about a NIC or a router? If you are talking about a router the computer will use an IP address that starts with 192.168.*.* and the router will get the fixed IP address unless it is dynamic (the ISP automatically assigns it).

Sorrow
02-03-05, 08:19 AM
Ok, I went back over to her house, messed with some stuff, "CMD'd" and then released and renewed. What I also found out is that her DSL connects through a "DSL Router", and already giving it a 192.168 number, even before wiring it through the router. So I believe it's clashing with the Linksys router because they're both routers. I also noticed that the internet connection will work until I connect it to the router and it configures the router, then the connection completely goes out when it's searching for the internet connection; then I disconnect and hardwire it back to the PC and the connection doesn't come back. THe only way I'm able to get the connection to come back is to "ipconfig /flushdns; ipconfig /registerdns; ipconfig /release; ipconfig /renew" and then restart the PC. What it is is that their connection runs through their phone line into the DSL Router and turns it into broadband. I don't see any way I can get their Linksys router to work since it's already running through the DSL Router, the only way to get the router to work I think is to get cable....

Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about:

Before setting up Linksys Router
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Eopee/Router.jpg

After I set up, and when the connection completely blanks out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/Eopee/Router2.jpg

nrs421
02-11-05, 09:18 AM
when i was having problems with my router i called linksys tech support and they were actually pretty knowledgeable....you might want to try that...