PDA

View Full Version : Midway Uses Unreal 3 Engine

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
02-02-05, 03:41 PM
CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 2, 2005-- Midway Games Inc. (NYSE:MWY - News), a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software, today announced a multi-year licensing agreement with Epic Games giving Midway use of Epic's Unreal Engine 3 technology and tools for next generation console and PC game development. Unreal Engine 3 technology and tools are now in use at Midway's internal studios including: Midway's Chicago studio, the makers of NBA Ballers and the Mortal Kombat franchise; Midway's Austin studio, developers of Area 51; and Surreal Software, the creators of The Suffering.
Source: Midway Games Inc.

This agreement with Epic furthers Midway's strategy to align itself with the top development technology and talent in the industry. The relationship also allows Midway to build on Unreal Engine 3 technology to create specific tools and assets that will be utilized across all Midway internal studios. This studio-wide effort is expected to be instrumental in the development and progression of major franchises as well as the creation of new game properties. The agreement also underscores Midway's commitment to the premium PC games market.
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050202/25210_1.html

Mortal Kombat Unreal 3 engine??!!! :drooling:

sytaylor
02-02-05, 03:58 PM
GOOD LORD MISS MARPLE!

2006 will be a very good year.

jAkUp
02-02-05, 11:24 PM
Q&A
Computer Games Magazine got a chance to contact Midway Games's Director of Marketing Steve Allison about their just announced plans to use Epic Games' Unreal Engine3 game graphics tools throughout their internal studios as well some hints about their upcoming plans for their PC games lineup.

Computer Games - First, how did the idea of Midway using Epic's Unreal engine for their upcoming games come about?

Steve Allison - Midway's internal studios have a philosophy of using one core technology, and common tools and then adapting the tech to fit any specific game needs as needed. This generation of HW we've been using Renderware as the broad studio solution. With Criterion being sold to one of our competitors it made a lot of sense to look at other solutions from a strategic point of view. After a lot of review by our PD organization we found that the development road map for Unreal Engine 3 and our needs were in sync. This meant including many significant changes to what the engine does that will make Unreal Engine 3 a very powerful tech for all next generation platforms..

Computer Games - How extensive will this license be in terms of upcoming Midway games? Will previously announced games like Area 51, NARC, LA Rush, Fear and Respect and Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks also use the Unreal engine?

Steve Allison - No this announcement does not apply to any games Midway is developing for current platforms.

Computer Games - Can we expect games like the next edition of the Mortal Kombat fighting game series to use the Unreal engine and if so what can we expect to see in terms of graphics and gameplay?

Steve Allison - We have not announced any next generation titles. It is safe to assume that if it's developed by any of our internal studios they will be developing PlayStation 3 and XBOX 2 games using Unreal Engine 3 as a code base to begin development and adapting to their needs from there.

Computer Games - When Midway announced their publishing deal with Epic last year, the press release stated that Midway was planning to publish more PC platform games. Can you give us an update on Midway's PC publishing plans? Will there be PC only titles besides the Unreal Tournament series?

Steve Allison - There will be several announcements in the next few months (including a few at our Gamers Day Feb 17th). We will have several PC titles in our plans every year going forward including several in 2005. It's also safe to say the lines between high end PC and next generation consoles will be blurry in that home consoles will be potentially even more powerful than PCs when they ship in the next couple of years. This will mean our next generation console games will be built to a very high graphics standard and be equal showcases on PC. You can expect us to put out many more PC SKUs of our next generation titles in the future as well if the genre is a good fit for the PC gaming consumer.

Vagrant Zero
02-03-05, 02:21 PM
Heh, this flew under my radar until today.

Bioware's got the UE3 engine as well. Imagine KotOR or Dragon Age on that beast. Hell ya baby.

superklye
02-03-05, 02:22 PM
Heh, this flew under my radar until today.

Bioware's got the UE3 engine as well. Imagine KotOR or Dragon Age on that beast. Hell ya baby.
Screw KotOR and Dragon Age.

NWN2!

|MaguS|
02-03-05, 02:25 PM
o0

KOTOR > NWN

It's all about the Jedi's!

But I liked NWN aswell, just couldn't play through it more then twice alone... too dam long.

Vagrant Zero
02-03-05, 02:26 PM
Naw I'm sick of Forgotten Realms. Hell I'm sick of D&D in general. I'd rather see original worlds like Dragon Age.

superklye
02-03-05, 02:33 PM
Yeah, Dragon Age does look pretty bad ass. That uses an upgraded Aurora engine, right? Upgraded even from what was done for KotOR/KotOR2.

I hate the early Aurora engine (NWN). It looks like ****. I can't even play those games anymore because the visuals just make me want to cry.

I LOVE D&D though...I want a BG style 3.5 edition rules game, but I want fully 3D in a great looking engine, damnit!

Ninjaman09
02-03-05, 02:48 PM
Yes. I am pretty sick of Forgotten Realms though, I would certainly enjoy a new Bioware RPG that doesn't take place there.

Vagrant Zero
02-03-05, 03:03 PM
Yeah, Dragon Age does look pretty bad ass. That uses an upgraded Aurora engine, right? Upgraded even from what was done for KotOR/KotOR2.

Naw, Dragon Age will be using it's own brand new engine. The concept demo was pretty though not mind boggingly awesome...but it was just that, a concept demo. Bioware says the final engine should be much more impressive.

I hate the early Aurora engine (NWN). It looks like ****. I can't even play those games anymore because the visuals just make me want to cry.

Yup, the Oddesy engine [kotor, modified Aurora] is pretty decent but Aurora is pretty timid. At least that's what I thought until I saw The Witcher. New RPG, runs off Aurora, looks badass. NWN just looks like ass.

I LOVE D&D though...I want a BG style 3.5 edition rules game, but I want fully 3D in a great looking engine, damnit!

Go for the yes Boo, go for the eyes.

superklye
02-03-05, 05:38 PM
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the Witcher! That makes me want to download the Witch's Wake mod (only $1.99 and it comes with another mod). For the first time in the NWN game, they have sub-races with actual racial benefits/negatives. That alone was enough for me to want to buy the mod and play it.

Treason
02-03-05, 07:09 PM
I hope this Unreal 3 Engine will be optimized for nVidia 6x00 series since there won't be new nVidia video cards released this quarter or two.

superklye
02-03-05, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it is...they debuted it on 6800Us, I believe. And the Unreal games have always favored nVIDIA, haven't they?

SlamDunk
02-03-05, 07:43 PM
jAkUp,

It's Unreal Engine 3 :)

nVidi0t
02-04-05, 01:12 AM
If Baldurs Gate 3 sees the light of day, to hell with KOTOR and NWN.

And MK with UE3? Owned.

Vagrant Zero
02-04-05, 02:00 AM
I hope this Unreal 3 Engine will be optimized for nVidia 6x00 series since there won't be new nVidia video cards released this quarter or two.

We don't know that. Rumours persist that the NV48 is still slated for a 2Q release. Logic dictates that Nvidia WILL repond to the R520 in some form. Personally I think it will be in the form of a Giant Marshmellow-Man that will march on ATI HQ.

AthlonXP1800
02-04-05, 05:01 AM

Yeah I think it will run just fine at 1024x768 but whose with NV3x, R3x0 and R4x0 will bring it to the knee. Unreal 3 engine has been full optimized for NV50 that next generation GPU in PS3 and PC will take full advantage of the new engine.

Marcos
02-04-05, 09:24 AM
(random Fallout Iii Comment)

Treason
02-04-05, 04:31 PM
Unreal 3 engine has been full optimized for NV50 that next generation GPU in PS3 and PC will take full advantage of the new engine.

Fully optimized. That is very assuring, especially with PS3 taking advantage of that technology.

:)

Knot3D
02-05-05, 04:36 PM
When will we see some GOOD CONCEPT artists actually get to grips with that engine ?

superklye
02-06-05, 02:02 AM
What do concept artists have to to with anything? I could draw up an amazing picture for an game in the Build engine and when it went to the game, no matter how great the picture, it would still look like ****.

oldsk00l
02-06-05, 02:37 AM
Don't rule out the Gauntlet projects too.

AthlonXP1800
02-06-05, 04:50 AM
Don't rule out the Gauntlet projects too.

Ahhh Gauntlet... :D I am very fond of it when I first played on the huge coin-op machine and then later conversion to Commodore 64. But Gauntlet I and II was the property of Atari, I wonder how does Midway get Gauntlet property? I guess Atari was broken into many divisions and sold Atari Games division to Midway that leaded Atari used all the resources to made Atari ST computers around 1985.

Knot3D
02-06-05, 02:38 PM
What do concept artists have to to with anything? I could draw up an amazing picture for an game in the Build engine and when it went to the game, no matter how great the picture, it would still look like ****.

Concept artists are crucial ! they determine the look and feel/ style of the way the technology of the engine gets used. I mean... take HL2 and Doom 3 for example ; maybe D3 engine is more tech advanced, but HL2's style is way better.

Aren' t we all sick of the emulation of 90's CGi FMV and cliche hero's in long black leather coats like Matrix's Neo ?

Really, technology means NOTHING without good artistic direction.

Intel17
02-06-05, 03:22 PM
Art Direction and Technology have a mutual relationship. You can't really have a good (by the given time period's standards) looking, optimized game without both.