PDA

View Full Version : NV5 Silencer on Gainward GT w/copper cooler

TacT
02-02-05, 06:28 PM
I installed this the other day, temps were great, the lack of noise was fantastic and then I was greeted with a blank screen while watching a dvd some time later on (3-4hrs after installation) :eek:

I took things apart and ensured there was good contact (again) and reseated and my monitor just sat there with a blank screen when attempting to post.

Long story short, it's dead but I want to know HOW?

I've been modding my hardware for years, I've installed a couple of other coolers on other cards in the past with zero problems, I've never crushed a core, amongst many other things -- I've killed very, very little for the many years I've been working with or modding computer components.

The only thing I can think of that I did wrongly when I installed the NV5 Silencer is the following: The little heatsink on the voltage regulators (I think that's what they are anyway) obstructed the NV5 Silencer so naturally I removed it.

Is it likely that not having that heatsink there after having installed the NV5 could cause the card to fry? I can live with a fried card, I can fork out for the replacement and I'm not going to be looking for an RMA BUT (it's a big one!) I want my NV5 Silencer on my replacement card when it gets here but I will not have it fried like my current 350 paperweight that is soon to turn key-ring!

Your thoughts/input please folks? Back to my trusty steed: the ti4200 with Zalman passive cooler for now :thumbdwn:

The reason I suspect that was the cause of the problem is that after installing the NV5, that part of the card doesn't receive as much airflow as it did previously -- although my case cooling is good and so are my temps.

enlighten me please :angel:

searching hasn't given me any answer either, only cause for suspicion -- I can live with the fried hardware and dent in my bank account but what I can't live with is not knowing why it happened so I don't make the same mistake again :(

toxikneedle
02-02-05, 06:31 PM
Is the Gainward the double slot one, as I remember there is some problems installing a NV5 on those Gainward 2 slot cards...

TacT
02-02-05, 06:36 PM
Is the Gainward the double slot one, as I remember there is some problems installing a NV5 on those Gainward 2 slot cards...

It is and the only problem would seem to be the one I have mentioned -- if it is the problem, then it's no problem -- next time I'll remove and trim it a little bit instead of being an idiot and removing it completely :cool:

circuitbreaker8
02-02-05, 09:56 PM
Just RMA it. You spent way to much money to just trash it. I hate people that say "GOD, why RMA a 500$ card, just throw it away and buy another one" I donno about you, but if I ever busted my X800XT, its going right back to Gigabyte for a new one. But I guess you newbies actually believe this is what causes vidoecard prices to go up :lol: You really wanna know what makes hte prices go up? People like US who actually pay for it. NV knows SLi 6800u's will sell, so why not retail em for almost 600 each. I guess if I RMA one of my cards, thats gonna jack the price up to 700 each...

Starbuck
02-03-05, 12:12 AM
I don't know about the fit on this one, but I remember a technial brief on a prior NV silencer, maybe the NV3, that basically stated that certain components on the card might come into contact and short circuit so they recommended applying tape to them between the heatsink and the card to avoid this. I think I read it at frozencpu. Have no idea if this helps you or not, but thought it may.

TacT
02-03-05, 07:43 AM
Just RMA it. You spent way to much money to just trash it. I hate people that say "GOD, why RMA a 500$ card, just throw it away and buy another one" I donno about you, but if I ever busted my X800XT, its going right back to Gigabyte for a new one. But I guess you newbies actually believe this is what causes vidoecard prices to go up :lol: You really wanna know what makes hte prices go up? People like US who actually pay for it. NV knows SLi 6800u's will sell, so why not retail em for almost 600 each. I guess if I RMA one of my cards, thats gonna jack the price up to 700 each...

You're wrong so let me try and make things more clear for you:

The card won't get RMA'd because it's blatantly obvious the thing was tampered with in terms of scratch marks on the screws etc. I'm well aware of my right to RMA and when to use it thank you very much.

If I could RMA it I would. I'm not up on a pedestal screaming, "if you RMA you will drive up the prices of components like a n00bie, be a big boy and burn your cash because you can!" Am I? No, I am not -- where in gods name did you pull this rubbish out of? You have the wrong thread and dare I say, wrong forum, if you want to preach go join the church or christian brothers forum -- somewhere that will give you credit for what you do because you're not giving yourself any with your fat-headed, 'I dance on you' attitude there.

No, I don't believe that is what drives prices up -- where in the hell did I state that please? Where are you getting this rubbish from -- did you make it all up for fun? I don't see any other explanation for it apart from your vivid imagination!

Sorry? RMA'ing one of your Ultra's is going to jack up the what now?

Thanks for the input and complete thread derailment to show your true colors, please drive through, you're in the wrong thread -- this one is about me attempting to figure out why my GT died to the NV5 Silencer. Not why you should or shouldn't RMA any components for x reason, maybe you should start a new thread about that because it seems you have plenty to say on the subject?

Thanks Starbuck, I'll have a dig around frozencpu and see if I can't find that article.

On a happier n00bie note, my n00bie replacement card is here because I'm too big of a n00b to RMA like circuitbreaker and the elite big boys! :rolleyes:

saturnotaku
02-03-05, 07:53 AM
On a happier n00bie note, my n00bie replacement card is here because I'm too big of a n00b to RMA like circuitbreaker and the elite big boys! :rolleyes:

Don't mind circuitbreaker, he was dropped on his head as a child one too many times.

TacT
02-03-05, 09:32 AM
oh well -- after all the trauma, it's a new card and a new day, this one clocks a little better too :D

The even better news is, this one doesn't have that same heatsink on the voltage regulators that obstructs the NV5 -- it's a black one with a lower profile. On my old card it was red and stuck out like a sore thumb, I guess that answers my question then! :afro:

5 hours enjoyment await me before the grinder, good job DHL!

Marcos
02-03-05, 12:15 PM
wtf?

NemesisChild
02-03-05, 02:53 PM
Don't mind circuitbreaker, he was dropped on his head as a child one too many times.

ROFL

TeaEtchSee
02-03-05, 05:21 PM
I installed this the other day, temps were great, the lack of noise was fantastic and then I was greeted with a blank screen while watching a dvd some time later on (3-4hrs after installation) :eek:

I took things apart and ensured there was good contact (again) and reseated and my monitor just sat there with a blank screen when attempting to post.

Long story short, it's dead but I want to know HOW?

I've been modding my hardware for years, I've installed a couple of other coolers on other cards in the past with zero problems, I've never crushed a core, amongst many other things -- I've killed very, very little for the many years I've been working with or modding computer components.

The only thing I can think of that I did wrongly when I installed the NV5 Silencer is the following: The little heatsink on the voltage regulators (I think that's what they are anyway) obstructed the NV5 Silencer so naturally I removed it.

Is it likely that not having that heatsink there after having installed the NV5 could cause the card to fry? I can live with a fried card, I can fork out for the replacement and I'm not going to be looking for an RMA BUT (it's a big one!) I want my NV5 Silencer on my replacement card when it gets here but I will not have it fried like my current 350 paperweight that is soon to turn key-ring!

Your thoughts/input please folks? Back to my trusty steed: the ti4200 with Zalman passive cooler for now :thumbdwn:

The reason I suspect that was the cause of the problem is that after installing the NV5, that part of the card doesn't receive as much airflow as it did previously -- although my case cooling is good and so are my temps.

enlighten me please :angel:

searching hasn't given me any answer either, only cause for suspicion -- I can live with the fried hardware and dent in my bank account but what I can't live with is not knowing why it happened so I don't make the same mistake again :(

Here is mine....my nv5 cooled EVGA 6800gt is paper weight too. Its due to poor contact with the NV5...i was usin ARCTIC SILVER 5. My card lasted about 6 months with a steady clock of 375/1000

http://st03.startlogic.com/~lagmanne/etc/css/wack.jpg

now i got me a LEADTEK a400gt. Paid lower price now that the 6800gts are gettin old.

I get same temps 35idle 75max. Same dB level too.

MustangSVT
02-03-05, 05:35 PM
I don't know what went wrong there. I don't understand why you would change the Gainward cooler with the NV5. I guess some people think it's a bit loud (I don't notice it at all). Crap happens when tampering with hardware physically I guess. :(

TacT
02-03-05, 06:36 PM
I don't know what went wrong there. I don't understand why you would change the Gainward cooler with the NV5. I guess some people think it's a bit loud (I don't notice it at all). Crap happens when tampering with hardware physically I guess. :(

Crap happens, that about sums it up alright! :D

Ouch TeaEtchSee, that hurts, what can you say -- join the club? :(
I've got an NV5 Silencer up for sale and I'll be putting up with the noise. I can see why you don't find it so loud, this card isn't as loud as my other one for some reason, less offensive but only slightly mind you.

God or someone is trying to tell me something though, give me a sign! The new card would block the NV5 exhaust fan due to the way it's built -- slightly different from my older one in quite a few respects, not to mention -- a much nicer core that's only too happy to run 425mhz+, I haven't pushed it to find it's max yet :angel:

Currently idling at 44.5-45.5C after the initial 53-54C because Gainward don't know how to tighten their screws, someone needs to march over their with a screwdriver and do a demo for them, seriously. :dance: