PDA

View Full Version : Will of Steel Demo - voice controlled RTS

SH64
02-02-05, 09:44 PM
Have anyone gave this demo a try ?? the idea of voice controling seems to be appealing .

GMX Media sends along an updated playable demo for Will of Steel, renewing the opportunity to try out this voice-controlled 3D real-time strategy game that is nearing completion at Gameyus Interactive. This expanded demo contains three single-player levels, but as before further details are not available.

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/willofsteel/wos_demo_3_missions.exe.html

http://images.3dgamers.com/screenimages/games/willofsteel/perunshot_40b.jpg

jAkUp
02-02-05, 10:28 PM
Interesting... curious if it works well

SH64
02-02-05, 11:33 PM
I looked at the game features & heres what i found :
http://www.gameyus.com/

Modern warfare 3D real-time strategy

The player takes over as the commander of the USMC battalion through campaign episodes in Afghanistan 2001 and Iraq 2003

The commander and his soldiers can move up the ranks, get promoted and win medals throughout the game

High reality gameplay and believable battlefield environments

Stunning vertex and pixel shader FX (bump and environment mapping, dynamic lighting and shadows, etc.)

High quality and exceptionally detailed objects for 3D RTS games

Voice control with natural language support

Missions unfolding from dawn to dusk with realistic weather conditions (rain, fog, thunderstorm etc)

Over one hundred different types of player controllable military units and weapon systems plus 100 non-controllable units

No resource gathering and building. All action!

& about the voice control :

Special focus is given to voice control because it has never been used in RTS games before. Voice control should help the player to control his/her units much more easily and effectively than by just using the keyboard and mouse pad. Besides that, voice control has the purpose of simulating natural verbal communication between officers and their units. This will add to the realism and will make the player feel as if he was a real-life military commander.

-=DVS=-
02-03-05, 12:15 AM
I realy doupt its so sophisticated and can take any verbal command "you there by tank go arround kill enemy" , "tank #2 attack big building , snipers give cover" :p

Will probably have few preprogramed moves like "Advance" "Stop" "Attack" :D
still very interesting , would be best if you could bind your own verbal sound to many actions , like binding keys to script !

Edge
02-03-05, 01:11 PM
It's an interesting idea, I've thought about it myself although I could never figure out how to actually integrate it so that the voice communication can be used in a way that works better than the keyboard. Maybe something like assigning groups and then giving them general orders, like "groups 1 and 3 attack the enemy base, group 2 defend our base". Nothing to complicated, just basic sets of variables like attack, enemy base, our base, etc. I'm curious to see how this game handles it.

Lfctony
02-04-05, 04:07 AM
Somehow, this comes to mind:

http://www.myextralife.com/strips/10-24-01.gif

:)

Greg
02-04-05, 08:19 AM
That was the buggiest demo I've played this week.

o Soldiers had target fascination for trees and nothing would stop them firing at a tree.
o Units could not navigate at all. They couldn't figure you had to drive around a lake, you have to baby sit them point by point to move around any obstace.
o Units could not pass eachother. A soldier walking behind a tank would stop both units dead. The tank couldn't move forward because it was 'stuck' on the soldier and soldier would not move away. Many clicks were required to gradually prise the units apart.
o Units don't retain any formation. Units ignore commands to move.
o Picking units with the mouse often does not select the unit unless you are precisely in the right spot.
o Objects like a tree or building would disapear if some part of them was not on screen.
o The game became really slow after about 15minutes play, dropped from smooth to seconds between frames until I exited.

The game simply looked like some alpha or pre beta build. Some shiny graphics, some potential for game play, but bugs in almost every area made it totally frustrating. The game says its due for release in Feb, which is joke unless this demo is real old.

Edge
02-04-05, 03:30 PM
Hmm, that's strange...wonder why they would release a demo that's so incomplete. Then again, it's pretty much a no-name game coming from a no-name developer, so it could be that it's simply going to turn out like crap. But, I'll still check it out once I finish downloading it, I'm still curious to see how the voice commands work.

Greg
02-04-05, 06:59 PM
... But, I'll still check it out once I finish downloading it, I'm still curious to see how the voice commands work.

I saw the option there and it was checkable, but I did not try it. Hmm, may have been interesting... "step away from that tank", "stop firing at that tree (repeat)", "reverse, turn left, stop, look out for the river bank, stop, reverse, turn right", etc. :|