PDA

View Full Version : My BFG 6800GT OC and Fan Craziness

Acid Rain
02-03-05, 02:44 AM
I decided to finally get the scoop on this thing.

The deal is, when I reboot my machine, the two fans on the BFG (stock dual fan setup) spin up and the machine is much louder than when I have booted into the OS.

In the OS it's so quiet you can't hear it much at all. It idles at about 55c normally, and RTHDRIBL works it up to 81c. However, my fans never spin up to the speeds they do out of the OS.

I have tried out many drivers and not once since I've had the card will the fans run at full speed. I've even tried the "fan always on" option in NVtweak. Nada.

My question to other BFG users is: Do your fans ever spin up to audible levels?

If so, do they do it when you game (mine sure don't)?

Do they have to reach like 90c first?

I am convinced that my (our?) temps with this cooler would be MUCH lower if the fans would run full blast.

Thanks.

jAkUp
02-03-05, 02:47 AM
All 6800 cards fans speed up when in dos. Once it loads the drivers (windows) the card speeds down. The only time it speeds up is when it gets very hot.

Acid Rain
02-03-05, 03:21 AM
All 6800 cards fans speed up when in dos. Once it loads the drivers (windows) the card speeds down. The only time it speeds up is when it gets very hot.

I see. Thank you. I thought 80+ was kinda hot, but apparently was mistaken.

Hmmm...how hot do these things have to be, I wonder...

racingx
02-03-05, 06:32 AM
I might be wrong on this but I beleive you can use the Expert Tool utility from gainward to adjust the fan to full blast in windows. I remember seeing a thread on this somewere in here. Also you dont have to have a gainward card to do it.

GuOD
02-03-05, 08:08 AM
I realised the same thing.

Search google for Expertool and it will be the first link.

I honestly haven't noticed much difference in cooling between 60% and 100% fan speed though.

NemesisChild
02-03-05, 02:40 PM
I can tell you from my own experience that the dual fan design doesn't do a good job of cooling.
Before installing an NV5, my temps would get in the 90's and lock-up at times.
I never really noticed a change in fan speeds when the card got this hot.
Like you, I tried the "fan always on" option, but it only forces the fan to run at medium speed.
If you're not getting lock-ups and or reboots, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Acid Rain
02-03-05, 03:04 PM
If you're not getting lock-ups and or reboots, then I wouldn't worry about it.

The only hard locks I've ever had with this card was during an ant lion battle in HL2 and after I had blasted out a window during a Combine firefight. Both HL2, and neither was heat related. RTHDRIBL is the only app that puts this card into the 80s.

Thanks for the advise, guys. I might have to try this Expertool, though, from the sounds of things, it doesn't make it that much cooler.

Thanks again.