PDA

View Full Version : SFF temperatures

Ninjaman09
02-03-05, 08:22 AM
Well, I love this new Shuttle system. It's quiet, fast, and most importantly - very small! I got sick of my behemoth Antec case with the attached Koolance EXOS (which I wasn't really using anyway) and have arranged to sell them. I have very quickly gotten used to the much smaller case. :D

One thing I'm not used to is the temperatures. After idling at 28C and load at 32C for so long with a liquid cooler, this computer's constant 50-55C is really freaking me out and confusing me at the same time. First of all, it's totally rock-solid stable. It hasn't crashed once and has been on for days. All my games run perfectly (in some cases slightly faster for some reason). Still, I had believed that ~50C was cause for concern before, but having had no issues whatsoever, I'm wondering if I should change my thinking. I will mention that the Shuttle comes with a "smartfan" which you can configure in the BIOS to respond to specific temperatures (and it works extremely well) though the fan is pretty loud at high RPMs.

Idle and load temps are always the same. In some cases, load temps are actually LOWER than idle because the smartfan kicks on and cools it back down. Looking at a temp chart, the CPU has never once broken 55C. These readings are from Speedfan and are probably a little high, but judging from how hot the air coming out the back is, they're probably very close. The case itself is hot to the touch near where the power supply resides and the rear fan grill is always hot.

Anyway, my concern was more for medium-term system safety. I have consulted the Sudhian SFF forums and there doesn't seem to be any conclusive agreement on appropriate temperatures. Shuttle has no FAQs on the issue. As I said before, the system is completely stable and I've had no issues with it. I'm merely curious about the heat as I'm unaccustomed to it.

Riptide
02-03-05, 09:32 AM
If it hasn't ever broken 55c I wouldn't worry. That won't hurt anything.

Ninjaman09
02-03-05, 10:04 AM
Ah, good to know. The only thing I'm concerned with now is the hard drive temps - the way they're set up, the bottom hard drive is heating up the one above it to about 53C. This is cause for some concern to me. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just transfer most of my stuff over to the main drive and get rid of the top one.

Riptide
02-03-05, 10:16 AM
A friend of mine has the same SFF as you and I believe he just keeps one drive in the shuttle itself and uses an external enclosure for his second drive.

Ninjaman09
02-03-05, 10:35 AM
That's not a bad idea. I've come to realize that I only use about 20% of the first drive and 40% of the second, so I'm going to just copy all the data from the second drive to the first one and take it out of the system. It will improve airflow, reduce power consumption, and probably reduce overall temperatures. That should prevent any possibility of data loss.

Still, I really do love this Shuttle case. It's pretty amazing.

Riptide
02-03-05, 10:37 AM
If it were me and I could choose my two drives... I'd put one 74GB Raptor in the Shuttle for boot purposes and running games. And use a second 120GB 7200RPM drive in an enclosure for storage/sharing.

Ninjaman09
02-03-05, 11:02 AM
I'd actually use this opportunity to grab a Raptor but I'm moving pretty soon and I can't spend any more money on computer parts. I may do that in the near future though. I've always wanted to see what the big deal was about those drives. :)

joltcola
03-03-05, 11:00 PM
What are the specs of your SSF?

-- jolt

ricercar
03-04-05, 03:55 AM
When I put dual Raptors in my SFF, I hacked the drive cage such that I could fit Vantec drive coolers on each Raptor, and faced them inwards towards each other. Imagine a 3-drive cage under the CDROM, with the middle drive location used only for active cooling on the upper and lower drives.

Be careful on the SFF temp thing. 55C is ok for the CPU, but NOT OK for ambient within the SFF case. I burned out a WD1200BB and a GeForce FX 5800 simultaneously when internal temps reached "only" 60C. Poof--both devices failed within seconds of each other, literally while I was looking up the thermal specs for the drive.

ynnek
03-04-05, 03:54 PM
Hmm, yea I would worry if thats your ambient temp..

Is 55 C your idle case temps? What is it on load?

My SS51G is still kicking after being online for over a year and a half straight, reocording, playingback, and converting vid files 24/7..

MBM tells me my ambient case temps are 50C max, avg about 40C, low of 32... while my CPU can spike all the way up to 68C...

the ss51g has an internal psu, that I couldn't stand the sound, so I yanked it out and replaced it with a spare Dell PSU (stanard pinout) thats whisper quiet.. Not very SFF though(PSU is almost half the size of the SFF case lol), but its quiet now.. In fact, the loudest noise now is the HD clicking and the whine it makes when just spinning.. an relatively old 80 Gig WD thats not fluid damped..