PDA

View Full Version : Roadrunner speed hikes?

superklye
02-03-05, 01:22 PM
I have been seeing commercials and doing some reading on it, but I can't seem to find anything about it actually having happened.

Apparently Time Warner is increasing basic speeds from 3mpbs>5mbps and the premium from 6mbps>8mbps.

Does anyone else have RR and know if the speed HAS been upped? I'm on a college campus, so I don't even know if I'll be able to notice the hike when it happens.

Vagrant Zero
02-03-05, 01:23 PM
*sob*

I live about 1 mile from the obligatory "you can have roadrunner" area. I hear they are so badass.

superklye
02-03-05, 01:25 PM
Oh man...it's spectacular. What do you have instead? DSL? Please don't say dial-up

superklye
02-03-05, 01:35 PM
crap. This should be in the general hardware forum...My bad guys.

|MaguS|
02-03-05, 01:42 PM
I got RR and was told that my Cable would be upgraded but honestly, I can't tell teh difference. My download speed currently is about the same...

Clay
02-03-05, 01:51 PM
crap. This should be in the general hardware forum...My bad guys.
np, moved

Vagrant Zero
02-03-05, 01:55 PM
Oh man...it's spectacular. What do you have instead? DSL? Please don't say dial-up

DSL. 3mbs connection, downloads at around 280-320kb, uploads at around 40-45kbs, costs 50 a month.

Gods I haven't been on dial-up for years. I remember spending a week downloading Jedi Knight 2 only to find the iso was corrupted. It was funny...for a few seconds...but it's a good thing I'm not married or I was beating my wife.

$n][pErMan
02-03-05, 02:41 PM
I have Raod Runenr and love it. I dont think they updated the speeds here yet but I dont really care. My lines clock at 3.2mb/sec and the highest speeds I have downloaded at from a site are 800kb/sec. But what I love most is... somehow i get a ****load of upload bandwidth. My upload is 600kb/sec. Its sweet... on my linux computer I host a 12 person HL2 DM server... a 8 Person UT2004 UnWheel server.. and a 12 person Half-Life ricochet server. Generally all are not full at the same time... but at one point in time if you added up all the people in all the servers it was 20 and there was no lag (although the poor XP2700+ cpu I have in that box was reaching 70% usage)! :D

Yonkers
02-03-05, 02:55 PM
How much is RR charging for 6mb? I pay $52 a month for 6mb with Comcast. We don't have RR available here in Washinton but I am still curious.

superklye
02-03-05, 04:36 PM
The 6mb premium service is $85/mo.

I get a deal through Marquette where I get RR and basic cable for $42/mo. Except, the cable was on when we moved in, so we're just paying $34/mo for RR. Last time I checked my download was 2.5mbps and up was 1mbps maybe? I rarely get over 300KBps download though. :(

betterdan
02-03-05, 04:41 PM
Using Cox cable here for $39.99 a month. What surprised me was sometime last year they increased their speeds from 3mbps to 4mbps download and the upload speed went from 256kbps to 512kbps and they actually lowered my cost from $49.99 a month to the current $39.99 a month. I don't have cox cable tv or cox telephone service either but if I did the cost would be even lower. Not a bad deal at all but I am still sticking with Directv for my tv service ;)

netviper13
02-03-05, 04:58 PM
The only cable service available here in Lawrence is $30/month for a 3mb/256k or $45/month for 6mb/512k lines...the only catch? The $30/month plan is limited to 6 GB of transfer per month, and the $45/month plan is limited to 12 GB per month. What BS! I have downloaded 6 GB in a day before.

That means once I leave the dorms (DS3 baby, whoo!) my only choice is basically the 1.5-3mb/384k DSL available through SBC. Not that those speeds are terrible, but it would be nice to have some alternative choices. Stupid cable companies and bandwidth limits.

JoKeRr
02-03-05, 08:16 PM
how do u check for the speed of your cable connectionz?? I have rogers Cable (at home), and my max DL is only like 250 kb / sec.

$n][pErMan
02-03-05, 09:21 PM
This site is badass for speed tests....
http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

CainSyris
02-03-05, 10:16 PM
I use the RR Premium and where it once was 6megabits, it is now "up to 8 megabits" which is generally around 7.70 megabits for me.

I got a little letter in the mail informing me of the upgrade and that it didn't cost me a thing. Personally, I would have paid more. Its blazing (most of the time).

I also read that the standard 3megabits went up to 5, too, at no extra cost as well.

The upload did not change for either service as far as I know. Only download/stream.

$n][pErMan
02-03-05, 11:48 PM
The upload did not change for either service as far as I know. Only download/stream.
Thats because upload is where the money is at :(

superklye
02-04-05, 03:41 AM
I use the RR Premium and where it once was 6megabits, it is now "up to 8 megabits" which is generally around 7.70 megabits for me.

I got a little letter in the mail informing me of the upgrade and that it didn't cost me a thing. Personally, I would have paid more. Its blazing (most of the time).

I also read that the standard 3megabits went up to 5, too, at no extra cost as well.

so it DID happen already...huh. I haven't noticed a damn thing. :(

Dr.Nick
02-04-05, 10:46 AM
I used to have RoadRunner until I found RCN. 7000/800 speeds for only $50 a month and they have been bumping up the DL speed by 2Mbps a year for free :)

EciDemon
02-07-05, 03:42 PM
The 6mb premium service is $85/mo.

I get a deal through Marquette where I get RR and basic cable for $42/mo. Except, the cable was on when we moved in, so we're just paying $34/mo for RR. Last time I checked my download was 2.5mbps and up was 1mbps maybe? I rarely get over 300KBps download though. :(

Damn! 85$ for 6mbit ? thats outrageous!

I pay about 30$ for my 10/1mbit connection (dsl)