PDA

View Full Version : EQ2 and my trusty 6800 GT, Any new news?

Scar13
02-03-05, 04:19 PM
Any new news yet guys?

I keep looking and searching, but I am not seeing anything new =/

mustrum
02-04-05, 04:05 AM
I just cacelled my subscription. SOE is unworthy, allways was.
They don't care about their costumers and don't fix gamestopper bugs like this one.
Don't let them get away with this and feed them your money.

Keep in mind that this problem was known for months in beta!

DanD
02-04-05, 04:30 AM
What problem is there with EQ2 and the 6800GT?

Marcos
02-04-05, 08:09 AM
What problem is there with EQ2 and the 6800GT?

2nd'd

|MaguS|
02-04-05, 08:30 AM
I have no problem...

mustrum
02-05-05, 05:30 AM
The only thing I recall is that many people had very severe stuttering issues with EQ2 using Geforce 6 cards.
And it runs like crap.
With all the tweaks, no shadows and onyl 4 high detail characters on screen a 470 mhz ULTRA still drops below 20 FPS when fighting in a group in runnyeye.

It's not like it would look that good! It's pretty yeah but not special at all.
The engine runs like crap and it wont change it seems.

ChrisRay
02-05-05, 05:34 AM
And it runs like crap.
With all the tweaks, no shadows and onyl 4 high detail characters on screen a 470 mhz ULTRA still drops below 20 FPS when fighting in a group in runnyeye.

It's not like it would look that good! It's pretty yeah but not special at all.
The engine runs like crap and it wont change it seems.

You know. I have actually been getting pretty good performance on my system. Not perfect. But its not doing terribly. I just make sure the only particle effects I see are my own.

mustrum
02-05-05, 05:40 AM
You know. I have actually been getting pretty good performance on my system. Not perfect. But its not doing terribly. I just make sure the only particle effects I see are my own.

Yeah the particle effects are what make my performance drop. BUT: Without the particles of the other party members it looks like you'd play some ancient game from 5 years ago.
The particles are horrible unoptimized. Group regen froma druid makes my system go to 5 FPS when particles are at full detail! It's a very simple effect other RPG'S had 3 years ago!

If i walk around without other chars in sight i get 60 to 70ish FPS as well but it's the FPS dips in fight that count to me since fighting is what you do a lot.

I didn't cancel because of that only though. I just think the game is extremely unispired. No nerw ideas, just the grind with tons of (similar) quests.
You wont hear me praisong WoW now. I think itS' the same uninspired clone just for starters since it's all more fastpaced there.

I'm back to eve online now and will give Mourning a go as soon it's out.

I don't wanna turn anyone away fronm trying EQ2. If you didn't play any other MMORPG out there it has to offer a lot. I am a hardcore MMORPG veteran though and EQ2 just doesn't offer anything new to me.
Just don't expect great performance in the game. You have to kill immersion because the game is totally unplayable with player shadows.

ChrisRay
02-05-05, 05:50 AM
Yeah the particle effects are what make my performance drop. BUT: Without the particles of the other party members it looks like you'd play some ancient game from 5 years ago.
The particles are horrible unoptimized. Group regen froma druid makes my system go to 5 FPS when particles are at full detail! It's a very simple effect other RPG'S had 3 years ago!

If i walk around without other chars in sight i get 60 to 70ish FPS as well but it's the FPS dips in fight that count to me since fighting is what you do a lot.

I didn't cancel because of that only though. I just think the game is extremely unispired. No nerw ideas, just the grind with tons of (similar) quests.
You wont hear me praisong WoW now. I think itS' the same uninspired clone just for starters since it's all more fastpaced there.

I'm back to eve online now and will give Mourning a go as soon it's out.

I don't wanna turn anyone away fronm trying EQ2. If you didn't play any other MMORPG out there it has to offer a lot. I am a hardcore MMORPG veteran though and EQ2 just doesn't offer anything new to me.
Just don't expect great performance in the game. You have to kill immersion because the game is totally unplayable with player shadows.

You mean how they just kinda stand there doing nothing? Ya its kind of dissapointing. But actually this doesnt surprise me any in regards to an EQ engine. Even the original EQ engine needed a decent machine ((Well well beyond its specs)) to play EQ 1 with partical effects.

I think a big problem is Sony's minimum requirements arent even remotely practical. Not that most minimum requirements are. But Sony's in this case are extremely optimistic so to speak.

mustrum
02-05-05, 06:11 AM
You mean how they just kinda stand there doing nothing? Ya its kind of dissapointing. But actually this doesnt surprise me any in regards to an EQ engine. Even the original EQ engine needed a decent machine ((Well well beyond its specs)) to play EQ 1 with partical effects.

I think a big problem is Sony's minimum requirements arent even remotely practical. Not that most minimum requirements are. But Sony's in this case are extremely optimistic so to speak.

Interesting comparison: EvE Online. It's the gamei played since beta 4 and then left 6 months ago. Now i'm playing it again. This game is rather old compared to EQ2 but still looks awesome. Sure it has not the mass PS usage or extremely high res textures but it just looks great because of good artists and nice design. The ships are extremely well designed and have quite a high poly count.

The game runs at 1280x960 4xAA 16x AF with 10 NPC enemies on screen and exposions at 130 FPS on my system! 130!!!! I saw it dip as low as 80 once but not lower!
I knwo that the EQ2 engine has more poligons and textures and PS to render but in the end it'S about how a game looks and not about technical specs.
EQ2 doesn't look awesome at playable settings but EvE does.

I am very curious how Mourning will perform. The screens are very promising. Hopefully ther performance is too. I am one of those gamers that just don't liek to play at 20 FPS. I invested a lot into a high end system and am not willing to play a slideshow.

ChrisRay
02-05-05, 06:16 AM
Thats pretty nice. Actually I recall EQ 1 still dropping into the 20-30's FPS in places like PoK where there are lots of charactors. But they vastly improved this when they finally removed the load from CPU to GPU. Currently I believe EQ 2 is doing alot of vertex processing on the CPU. SO heres hoping it can be improved. I understand your frustrated. The MMORPG is pretty depressing. For now I am sticking with EQ 2 though. My Rig seems to run it well enough to be enjoyable.

P.S. EQ 1 performance was with an Athlon XP 3200+ and a Geforce 6800NU 1 Gig Memory.

|MaguS|
02-05-05, 06:29 AM
When EQ1 launched most people could not play with very detailed graphics, even with the viewport of the game being 1/3 the size of the screen...

I started playing EQ1 with a K6 266Mhz (then bumped to a K6-2 400Mhz) with 256MB Ram and a Voodoo2 SLI (Monster 2D Card).

mustrum
02-05-05, 06:34 AM
Thats pretty nice. Actually I recall EQ 1 still dropping into the 20-30's FPS in places like PoK where there are lots of charactors. But they vastly improved this when they finally removed the load from CPU to GPU. Currently I believe EQ 2 is doing alot of vertex processing on the CPU. SO heres hoping it can be improved. I understand your frustrated. The MMORPG is pretty depressing. For now I am sticking with EQ 2 though. My Rig seems to run it well enough to be enjoyable.

P.S. EQ 1 performance was with an Athlon XP 3200+ and a Geforce 6800NU 1 Gig Memory.

I didn't leave because of the sad performance only. I don't like the game. It's level grinding at it's best. Did that in 10 other MMORPG's allready and EQ2 doesn't do anything new there even.

Edit: The lack of PvP kills the game for me. Yeah i know i should've known that from start. ;)

ChrisRay
02-05-05, 06:57 AM
When EQ1 launched most people could not play with very detailed graphics, even with the viewport of the game being 1/3 the size of the screen...

I started playing EQ1 with a K6 266Mhz (then bumped to a K6-2 400Mhz) with 256MB Ram and a Voodoo2 SLI (Monster 2D Card).

My First experience with EQ 2 was a Cyrix M II 300 (225 Mhz) and a Voodoo Banshee. Looks like I got you beat for experiencing game suckiness. EQ 1 wasnt even designed to run at resolutions above 640x480 until Luclin came out. ((Though you could if you avoided menus ))

But I remember upgrading to a Voodoo3 and even on my garbage Cyrix processor I got a nice boost in FPS in West Freeport. To me thats a big deal. I dont think I've seen such a performance boost again Until I got my Duron 900 mhz and a Geforce 2 MX ((which I was still playing EQ 2 at the time)) All my upgrades past then have been slow but steady.

Cyrix 486 120
Cyrix M II 300
Duron 900
Duron 1.3 Ghz
Athlon XP 1600+
Athlon XP 2000+
Athlon Xp 2400+
Athlon XP 3200+
Athlon 64 3800+

Believe it or not I was actually a Cyrix fan back then. Given my crazy upgrade paths I just havent seen boosts that make me go "WoW" In regards to CPUs. I guess thats why they dont exicte me. Though they should since they are probably biggest limiting factor for Mmorpgs.

Other than that only the 6800 line and the FX line really have impressed me. Mainly because they have usable AA/AF. Which is the only other thing thats been "Immediately" noticable to me. WOw trips down memory lanes. I used to only upgrade when I had too for MMORPGs.

didn't leave because of the sad performance only. I don't like the game. It's level grinding at it's best. Did that in 10 other MMORPG's allready and EQ2 doesn't do anything new there even.

Edit: The lack of PvP kills the game for me. Yeah i know i should've known that from start.

I really dont care for PVP much. When I want my "Player Verses Player" games. I'll play UT2004, or Warcraft 3 depending on my mood. But I can see why some would like it. But I find it can be detrimental in a MMORPG expecially when you're into the whole "Role Playing aspect" of the game. To be quite frank. "D00ds" piss me off. And I'm the RP police everyone hates so much on Role Playing servers ;)

But I kind of play EQ 2 for different reasons. Not just for the grind. But the interaction and RP factor. If they didnt have the RP factor I wouldnt play them at all. This is the reason I hated CoH. WoW and EQ 2 have decent Role Playing enviroments IMO.