PDA

View Full Version : Safe temperature for 6800 Vanilla?

Sheky
02-03-05, 08:14 PM
What' should I set the critical level as under the temp monitor? I'm idling at 70c right now without overclocking or softmodding and I'm worried I'll fry my card. I don't know what my ambient temp is as the Gigabyte one doesn't tell me and the temp tab is disabled under ForceWare despite my having coolbits2.reg.

TacT
02-03-05, 09:03 PM
70C at idle is way to hot, you should be around 55-60C tops depending on the cards cooling and case ventilation. I'd say around 75-80C max. at full load before things start going pear-shaped. Did you check there weren't any loose screws on the card?

My latest came with an initial idle temp of 53-55, after a quick look, poke and twist of a screwdriver, that was soon down to 45. Just to give you an idea of how badly it can affect you temps.

toxikneedle
02-03-05, 09:11 PM
Ye anything beyong like 65 @ idle is too much. Tact I dont think that 55-60 is tops. My card is around 55 under normal room temps and case cooling. Tops is something higher than 60, and if its 70, you should definetely look into it because thats not right.

wrugoin
02-04-05, 02:25 AM
I agree with the rest. 70C idle is to far to hot. I understand that the new 71.XX drivers have many cards idleing around 5-10C higher then they used to with the pre-71.XXs, so you may find that installing the 66.93s or 67.03s may help to lower that by some. (if they're not installed already) But otherwise, you're running kinda hot.

I'm going to say something quite strange, but try overclocking your card in 2D & 3D mode past 350MHz. When overclocked, your card my idle at around 10 to 12C lower. I know it sounds crazy, but I have that expirence with my 6800nu and so do others. When my card is clocked anywhere below 350MHz, I'll idle at 61-62C, when I have it above 350MHz, I idle at 48-50C depending on my apartment's temperature that day.

Check this tread out. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44060) I brought this issure up on these boards and got some good replys. R2D2D3D4D5 had 2 sets of pics that show the temperature readings in RivaTuner before and after an overclock past 350MHz. I just may help bring those idle temps down.

Sheky
02-04-05, 01:07 PM
I agree with the rest. 70C idle is to far to hot. I understand that the new 71.XX drivers have many cards idleing around 5-10C higher then they used to with the pre-71.XXs, so you may find that installing the 66.93s or 67.03s may help to lower that by some. (if they're not installed already) But otherwise, you're running kinda hot.

I'm going to say something quite strange, but try overclocking your card in 2D & 3D mode past 350MHz. When overclocked, your card my idle at around 10 to 12C lower. I know it sounds crazy, but I have that expirence with my 6800nu and so do others. When my card is clocked anywhere below 350MHz, I'll idle at 61-62C, when I have it above 350MHz, I idle at 48-50C depending on my apartment's temperature that day.

Check this tread out. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44060) I brought this issure up on these boards and got some good replys. R2D2D3D4D5 had 2 sets of pics that show the temperature readings in RivaTuner before and after an overclock past 350MHz. I just may help bring those idle temps down.

I'm running ForceWare 67.66 right now since a few recommended it. Yeah, I read about lowering temp from overclocking and softmodding over at HardOCP too. Someone told me that it's because the fan kicks into overdrive when overclocked to compensate so it actually runs cooler but the thing is I don't have a fan on mine; it's passively cooled. Would it be dangerous to try OC and softmodding right now? I wrote Gigabyte about ths but haven't had a reply. :(

aAv7
02-04-05, 05:16 PM
I have my gt oc'd to 421/1.14 on stock cooling, 52C idle 83C full load, you think max is safe with that oc? Just started oc'ing my card, used to max at 78C. I figure 5C extra isn't TOO bad. :confused:

bkswaney
02-04-05, 05:28 PM
I have my gt oc'd to 421/1.14 on stock cooling, 52C idle 83C full load, you think max is safe with that oc? Just started oc'ing my card, used to max at 78C. I figure 5C extra isn't TOO bad. :confused:

That's not to bad for those overclocks.
I've seen mine that high before.

Now 70 idle is WAY to hot.
You need to vent your case more for sure.

aAv7
02-04-05, 05:40 PM

Cool. I used the "detect optimal frequincies" option in the coolbits prog and it gave me the 421/1.14 oc, so I figured it was safe, but being such a nut about my temps, I wanted to make sure 83C was ok. Thanks man. =)

Sheky
02-04-05, 06:22 PM

I'm have an Antec Sonata and I'm not sure whether there's enough room to add another fan in the front with all the wires. Man this sucks...

aAv7
02-04-05, 08:36 PM
get a new case?

diklittleboy
02-05-05, 03:12 AM
Do u have one of those passively cooled 6800?
Regardless, 70C is not hot at all.

Sheky
02-05-05, 04:31 PM
Do u have one of those passively cooled 6800?
Regardless, 70C is not hot at all.

Yes, it's passivley cooled.

Zubir
02-06-05, 04:12 AM
What' should I set the critical level as under the temp monitor? I'm idling at 70c right now without overclocking or softmodding and I'm worried I'll fry my card. I don't know what my ambient temp is as the Gigabyte one doesn't tell me and the temp tab is disabled under ForceWare despite my having coolbits2.reg.

I feel your pain. I have a BFG 6800/OC non ultra that idled at that same temperature. I bought a NV5 Silencer, slapped it on, and I now idle at 50C. Still warm, but a lot cooler than before.