PDA

View Full Version : How to disable CPU fan throttling?

RealLifePixelShader
02-04-05, 02:59 AM
I would like to know i've got a gigabyte mobo I have disabled the smart fan function but when I have a look at the fan speed in the easy tune 4 program for my gigabyte the CPU fan always have red warning and is running ar 2500rmp

I would like to know how I can set the system so that the CPU fan always runs at max I have never seen it go above 3000 and chaneg to a green state

Please help

Thanks

RealLifePixelShader
02-04-05, 04:50 AM
O I want the fan speed on max for better cooling if it makes a diff

Filibuster
02-04-05, 08:01 AM
Your fan may only run at 2500Rpm. My CPU fan is supposed to run at 2600 (it does) and its fine. Even with my 'smart fan control' on it does not change. If you want easytune to not complain about it you can adjust the minimums in the hardware monitor setup menu.

If you want it to go faster you need a faster fan. It will make a difference in cooling but it will also be louder.

RealLifePixelShader
02-07-05, 02:44 AM
OK yesterday it was 42c here in Cape Town i noticed that I was melting and my CPU fan was running at 5245 rpms so guess my fan can run at a higher speed this is a stock intel fan so my question again is how do i set the thing to run at max all the time see that i now know that is can run higher than 2500rpm

bkswaney
02-07-05, 03:21 AM
OK yesterday it was 42c here in Cape Town i noticed that I was melting and my CPU fan was running at 5245 rpms so guess my fan can run at a higher speed this is a stock intel fan so my question again is how do i set the thing to run at max all the time see that i now know that is can run higher than 2500rpm

It depends on the fan.
Most cpu fans run at one speed. Wide open. ;)
If it's your motherboard controling the fan then
just plus it into a power supply lead.

Viral
02-07-05, 07:23 AM
Buy a 3 to 4-pin adaptor, connect your fan to a molex, and disable the CPU fan warning in the BOIS. Happy hearing at 6000rpm :)

RealLifePixelShader
02-07-05, 04:14 PM
Buy a 3 to 4-pin adaptor, connect your fan to a molex, and disable the CPU fan warning in the BOIS. Happy hearing at 6000rpm :)
Cool I've got one, I will try it two question, is it bad for the fan to run at max ie 6000rpm all the time and if it is not how long might it last.

And if I connect the rpm signal wire that is not used on the molex to the rpm singal detect pin on my mobo will it still display the rpm in my monitoring software and can I enable the CPU warning then?

Thanks

bkswaney
02-07-05, 04:24 PM
Cool I've got one, I will try it two question, is it bad for the fan to run at max ie 6000rpm all the time and if it is not how long might it last.

And if I connect the rpm signal wire that is not used on the molex to the rpm singal detect pin on my mobo will it still display the rpm in my monitoring software and can I enable the CPU warning then?

Thanks

U can set the warning in your bios.
It looks at the temp of your cpu.
I have mine set and I do not even have a fan. ;)

Viral
02-07-05, 06:55 PM

Thanks

In all likelyness it is actually better for a fan to run at its designed (max.) speed. Of course how much better depends on the method of fan control. I'm not sure how the motherboard slows it down, but fan controllers just switch the voltage supplied (turn off and on). I'm just guessing, but using basic knowledge that sounds like it would be a bad thing for any electronic device. I wouldn't be worried about the fans life either way, it should last just fine.