PDA

View Full Version : tv tuner

j0j081
02-04-05, 04:02 AM
Hi,
I was going to buy a small tv/w built in dvd player for my cramped room but now I am considering a tv tuner instead. In Best Buy I saw a couple ATI ones. I am guessing they are decent but I don't know much about tv tuners period. Any suggestions? I have an Nvidia card so would an ATI tuner be dumb?

FastM
02-04-05, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I was going to buy a small tv/w built in dvd player for my cramped room but now I am considering a tv tuner instead. In Best Buy I saw a couple ATI ones. I am guessing they are decent but I don't know much about tv tuners period. Any suggestions? I have an Nvidia card so would an ATI tuner be dumb?

The ATI ones suck

Get something from Hauppauge or the Leadtek one is pretty good to...

Yonkers
02-04-05, 12:40 PM
I got a EVGA one with PVR but Fast is correct Hauppauge are the best as far as I know.

Tr1cK
02-04-05, 12:46 PM
I just got an AVerMedia UltraTV PCI 350 and highly recommend it. I think it may be a discontinued product though. I still have an ATI TV Wonder VE, but it totally sucks! There is too much software/drivers to install for the ATI, not to mention you have to install the damn multimedia center crap. The AVerMedia also has a MUCH better picture, FM tuner, remote, and better connection options. I got it, plugged it in the PCI slot, downloaded the newest drivers and software for it off the website, and it runs like a dream. I didnt have any need for the CD that came with it, well except for maybe a drink coaster when Im watching it. :)

SpeedDemon
02-04-05, 01:43 PM
Don't get anything that isn't Windows Media Center 2005 compatible. Order Windows Media Center 2005 (or install however you like). Order the MCE2005 remote.

The best card for SDTV is the eVGA NVTV TV Tuner. Then for HDTV the best card is the HDTVFusion III (it allows QAM HDTV cable; aka HDTV over Cable vs. Over the Air).

The Hauppauge cards suck for MCE2005, the same Connexant Chip that the ATI E-home wonder uses. There is a new card that just came out from ATI called the TV Wonder Elite, but they are easier to find under the name Sapphire Theatrix. These are supposedly the new best card for SDTV.

superklye
02-04-05, 02:48 PM
The Hauppauge PVR-250 is one of the best TV tuner/PVR cards you can buy.

Vagrant Zero
02-04-05, 03:43 PM
I've got a Sweeptspot card. Component inputs, best damned capture card out there. Or at least it was a year ago...not sure now. :p

It'll act as a TV Tuner as well but no coaxial support, gotta do it through composite, s-video, or component. Works fine with my Disk Network.

superklye
02-04-05, 03:48 PM
Link?

Vagrant Zero
02-04-05, 04:38 PM
http://www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot/

If anyone's going to buy it DON'T buy it from there. That's the Uk version, the US version to my knowledge is the same exact thing except it's like $50 cheaper. Ya, I felt pretty stupid when I found that out after I'd bought the card from there.

Edit: Here's the american version.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/pdideluxe.asp

Look around some as well, I'm sure you can get it for even cheaper than that nowadays. I spent $300 for mine, but it was worth it.

superklye
02-04-05, 04:54 PM
That card seems really badass...but does it function as PVR as well? So to get TV on your PC, do you have to hook a TV up to the PC or what? Well, I guess you could have a VCR with a coaxial in and do it that way...hmm...

Vagrant Zero
02-04-05, 05:08 PM
Sorry can't help you there buddy. I don't even have a TV in my computer room. I just hooked up the satellite box through component and watch TV through Dscaler.

You can ask around on their own forums. They've got their techs who respond there. Helped me out a few times.

superklye
02-04-05, 05:20 PM
I may look into it...right now though, I don't have the money for a TV tuner card. Hopefully at some point in the future, I will. I'm still looking at the PVR-250 by Hauppauge...gotta love that hardware-based MPEG encoding.

j0j081
02-04-05, 11:31 PM
I may look into it...right now though, I don't have the money for a TV tuner card. Hopefully at some point in the future, I will. I'm still looking at the PVR-250 by Hauppauge...gotta love that hardware-based MPEG encoding.
I think I'm gonna go w/ this one. How does the vid quality compare to a standard tv when watching on a CRT monitor for tv tuners in general?

jAkUp
02-04-05, 11:33 PM
The hauppauge PVR-250 is about the best you can get nowadays :) Amazing card, don't own one but know people that do :)

-=DVS=-
02-05-05, 12:17 AM
There is awesome USB HDTV tuner , "OnAir USB HDTV" Linky Its from Japan i think (http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinfo.php?lc_code=OnAirUSB-HDTV&uneek=133549576)

I have one love it :drooling:

j0j081
02-05-05, 12:42 AM
I would get an HDTV tuner but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford the service here.

superklye
02-05-05, 01:31 AM
Yeah, no kidding...Digital Cable is like $90/mo and HD is another $15-20...screw that.

FastM
02-05-05, 01:43 AM
http://www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot/

If anyone's going to buy it DON'T buy it from there. That's the Uk version, the US version to my knowledge is the same exact thing except it's like $50 cheaper. Ya, I felt pretty stupid when I found that out after I'd bought the card from there.

Edit: Here's the american version.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/pdideluxe.asp

Look around some as well, I'm sure you can get it for even cheaper than that nowadays. I spent $300 for mine, but it was worth it.

This is not a "tv Tuner" but a capture card.. (A damn good one by the looks of it) This is comparable to something from Pinnacle...

j0j081
02-05-05, 05:03 AM
The hauppauge PVR-250 is about the best you can get nowadays :) Amazing card, don't own one but know people that do :)
Okay well I've been having some trouble finding the PVR-250 in stock anywhere that has it for a reasonable price however I have been finding a newer model the PVR-150. This card is cheaper and seems to have all the same features. Perhaps someone could double check for me in case I have missed something. Right now it's for sale at Circuit City and CompUSA for $100 less $30 in rebates. What do you think?

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.html

Vagrant Zero
02-05-05, 07:34 AM
This is not a "tv Tuner" but a capture card.. (A damn good one by the looks of it) This is comparable to something from Pinnacle...

Ya, no coxial. Will only work with sat boxes.

superklye
02-05-05, 11:31 AM
Okay well I've been having some trouble finding the PVR-250 in stock anywhere that has it for a reasonable price however I have been finding a newer model the PVR-150. This card is cheaper and seems to have all the same features. Perhaps someone could double check for me in case I have missed something. Right now it's for sale at Circuit City and CompUSA for $100 less $30 in rebates. What do you think?

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.html
have you checked NewEgg?

j0j081
02-05-05, 12:18 PM
newegg was sold out. im still waiting for advice on the PVR-150 as it's more affordable.

*i ordered one from amazon it arrives in a few days!