PDA

View Full Version : My main SLI setup is giving me problems - thought I fixed it!

Veger
02-04-05, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone,

People with SLI setups with two 6800Ultra cards from evga I need your help.

The environment setting - SLI enabled in the Nvidia control panel.

I thought I had these problems fixed, but here are the symptoms:

This is my Game Machine SLI System, specs are in signature, random behavior which makes it even worse. Every component is running bone stock, no overclock, winxp prof sp2, Nvidia 66.93 whql drivers, directx9.0c, no coolbits, no YABE loaded. Default Rev. 2 evga 6800U pci-ex bios, the latest on retail cards. 2d - 400/1100 3d - 425/1100

1) Video freeze and a hardlock lockup in 3dmark03 recent build 6 I believe.

2) WOW (World of Warcraft) - within 25 - 30 secs, video freeze, music keeps playing, and then the BSOD nv4disp.dll (infinite loop).

3) Star Wars - Republic Commander Demo - 25 - 30 sec, video freeze, music keeps playing , and then BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error. Also if and when your are able to play longer and you quit the game it gives you BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error again.

Currently - This is the problems I have had since day one as I just reloaded windows again this morning at around 6:00 am est. Loaded all bone stock drivers listed above, I am testing each card seperately by disabling the card in windows and testing each card with 3dmark03 on loop. I have tried putting the 2d and 3d at the same speed. This does limit the problems but it still occures. When I have put the clocks the same alot of these problems go away believe it or not.

I have also tested my memory to see if it has problems but it passed fine with memtest86 1.50.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank You

PSYCHODAD
02-04-05, 11:27 AM
Have you tried setting your 2D & 3D clocks the same? In the past this has fixed this problem for some. Also, Nvidias beta drivers(67.66) add support for sli setups.

OWA
02-04-05, 11:34 AM
I don't have a SLI setup but I had to set my 2D and 3D speeds the same through a bios mod before my random freezing went away. Initially, just trying to set it the same in the nvidia control panel seemed to help some but I'd still get it every once in a while. Once I used a bios editor and set the 2D and 3D the same, I haven't had a single freeze. I'm not sure why it's different although I know the slider in the nvidia CP doesn't always set the speed the same even though it does show it being the same. I noticed this when using gainwards expertool. Even though I thought I had them both set to 425 (for example) they were slightly different as reported by expertool.

Veger
02-04-05, 11:35 AM
Hi psychodad,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have done that and I have had less problems with setting the 2d and 3d clocks the same, but some of the issues still remain.

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL still happens. That is usually a memory issue, but this memory I have tested extensively.

This also occured with the Nvidia 67.66 drivers as well.

What I am thinking is that, should I raise my memory voltage to 2.8v and retest? I have the voltage set on AUTO right now.

PSYCHODAD
02-04-05, 11:42 AM
Raising the mem voltage might help.
I know that on my sli machine I have one game(Unreal2 xmp) that gets a bsod every time I start it up and the only solution is to turn off sli and restart the machine in order to play this particular game.

Veger
02-04-05, 08:07 PM
THis is crazy I reloaded Windows, and didn't install SP2 and now no more problems WTF!!!

I have read somewhere that you have to set /NoExecute=AlwaysOff in the boot.ini for SP2, but I have a FX-53 without that virus protection, man I am confused as all hell...

ChrisRay
02-04-05, 08:27 PM
I had these problems with my old gigabyte board, But it was infinately worse. It'd just freeze and lock up randomyl for no real reason. Freeze so to speak. Replacing the board fixed it for me. Of course I changed to an Asus..

sirplayalot
02-04-05, 10:43 PM
Your office PC is faster then my main gaming rig :eek:

bkswaney
02-04-05, 11:09 PM
THis is crazy I reloaded Windows, and didn't install SP2 and now no more problems WTF!!!

I have read somewhere that you have to set /NoExecute=AlwaysOff in the boot.ini for SP2, but I have a FX-53 without that virus protection, man I am confused as all hell...

I would try SP2 again with the fix and see if that fixes it.
If not just use SP1.

jAkUp
02-05-05, 12:34 AM
Check your boot.ini and try changing the line to /NoExecute=AlwaysOff anyways....

Veger
02-05-05, 02:09 PM
So far that seemed to work, but I still have to keep my 2d and 3d the same 425/1100.

Also I found both evga stickers on the bottom of my case. Make sure you take those dam stickers off cause if they go into the fan it means a sure fire death for a $600 card.

eva2000
02-06-05, 12:37 PM
haven't read all the posts but i have A8N-SLI Deluxe with 2x eVGA 6800U PCI-E and 66.93 suxs for SLI can't even get it to work, 71.24 drivers work fine for me

best bios is 1004.01 flashed via asusupdate in windows!

edit: funny Veger, see you have exactly same pair of eVGA and XFX cards as me hehe