PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade Moboard, Help with Raid Needed

H-street
02-04-05, 01:25 PM
I am looking to upgrade my motherboard and my question is..

if i have a SATA raid setup on my current moboard (uses a promise controler) and i buy another moboard that has a different raid controler, is the raid setup compatible between them..

in other words, will i be able to simply plug in my raid disks and have it operate correctly or will i need to rebuild the raid?

the reason i ask is there is a lot of data that would other wise need to be offloaded before the rebuild and it would make lift much easier if i could simply plug and gun..

saturnotaku
02-04-05, 01:32 PM
in other words, will i be able to simply plug in my raid disks and have it operate correctly or will i need to rebuild the raid?

Even if the RAID controller is exactly the same, there will be other changes on the hardware level that will cause Windows to be unstable or not boot at all. Whenever you change a motherboard, you should always perform a clean installation of Windows. So back up your data now.

Tr1cK
02-04-05, 01:38 PM
Id recommend getting a PCI RAID card. My RocketRAID100 has been able to run the same install of windows on 4 different motherboards, all with different chipsets. I would recommend reinstalling the OS with any major upgrade such as a motherboard, although I never had any issues keeping the same install.

Now if only Highpoint will get off their butts and make a 64bit driver, though Im not holding my breath.

H-street
02-04-05, 02:00 PM
there will be a fresh windows install

here is my setup currently..

non-raid disk for OS and storage on an IDE ribbon

SATA stripe raid setup for gaming etc..

when i upgrade the OS disk will be reformated and the os will be reinstalled, but if i can help it i would rather not have to rebuild the raid disks at the hardware level..

i do have my windows swap disk setup onto the raid disks for improved performance but since i will be reinstalling the OS anyways that doesn't really matter..

Tr1cK
02-04-05, 02:43 PM
Rebuild from the hardware level? All you have to do is setup a new array and install windows on it. Windows will create a partition and format it itself.

Akirhol
02-04-05, 02:52 PM
Id recommend getting a PCI RAID card. My RocketRAID100 has been able to run the same install of windows on 4 different motherboards, all with different chipsets. I would recommend reinstalling the OS with any major upgrade such as a motherboard, although I never had any issues keeping the same install.

Now if only Highpoint will get off their butts and make a 64bit driver, though Im not holding my breath.
What is your array bandwidth with that card? I use a Promise S150 TX2 Plus [I think that's right], dual WD1600 special editions, but my bandwidth to the array sits around 50MB/s, which is way too slow... should be more like 70-80 iirc.

Tr1cK
02-04-05, 03:19 PM
I dont recall what I scored on my last ATTO benchmark. I do know it was far better than the single ATA133 8mb cache drive I have. I have used the card for a long time and have just been too lazy to upgrade. My next will be a SATA PCI RAID card with 2 drives. I have my eye on the Promise TX2200 thats supposed to support TCQ and NCQ. With which I will most likely get 2 8mb NCQ supported drives.

Tr1cK
02-04-05, 03:28 PM
Just ran ATTO:
54mb/s avg write
64 mb/s avg read
2x Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 60 with 2mb cache (OLD but been great)

44mb/s avg write
42mb/s avg read
1x Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 with 8mb cache

H-street
02-04-05, 03:39 PM
Rebuild from the hardware level? All you have to do is setup a new array and install windows on it. Windows will create a partition and format it itself.

but that is my basic question, do i have to rebuild the new array (at the hardware level)..

which would cause a loss of all data, which is the issue..

or can i just plug in the disks and not have to rebuild the array..

Akirhol
02-04-05, 04:31 PM
Different RAID controller means it won't recognize the current array you have setup on those drives, so yes... you will have to redefine the array and you will lose all the data.

Tr1cK
02-04-05, 05:13 PM
Typically if the chipset is similar, like if both controllers are Promise, then you wont have to rebuild the array. Switching from Highpoint to Promise or whatever typically means it wont recognize the array.