GamerGuyX
02-04-05, 04:59 PM
Hey check it out:

http://gamepro.com/sony/psp/games/news/41766.shtml

:thumbsup:

March 24... March 24... March 24... :bounce:

Vagrant Zero
02-04-05, 05:28 PM
Yup. PSP once it enters full production is going to kick the DSs arse in terms of sale. Unfortunely I'll probably have to end buying a DS since they've announced a Xenosaga DS and Baten Kaitos DS.

I'll still be getting a PSP of course. Maybe not right away at launch though. Need a few good rpgs first.

Bad_Boy
02-04-05, 05:40 PM
i
c a n n o t
w a i t
:D :D :D

Mr. Hunt
02-04-05, 06:55 PM
Sweet... I was expecting it to do well... but not this well.

Rakeesh
02-04-05, 08:07 PM
holy crap, nintendo is really screwed now.

mattredd
02-05-05, 11:17 AM

Why is that then? The DS has sold over double the number of units in Japan than the PSP has and the sells figures are probably just initial hype over a new system.

GamerGuyX
02-05-05, 11:41 AM
The DS has sold over double the number of units in Japan than the PSP

Yeah but it was also released earlier than the PSP.

the sells figures are probably just initial hype over a new system.

Well why then are PSP sales going UP over time? :cool:

mattredd
02-05-05, 01:02 PM
Well why then are PSP sales going UP over time? :cool:

Because initial supply has been very weak.

GamerGuyX
02-05-05, 01:27 PM
Because initial supply has been very weak.

But yet people are still willing to wait until it comes back into stock and buy the PSP anyways.

Vagrant Zero
02-05-05, 01:28 PM
Why is that then? The DS has sold over double the number of units in Japan than the PSP has and the sells figures are probably just initial hype over a new system.

Are you and reading mutually exclusive? The PSP has now outsold the DS in Japan for the year of 2005. Yes the DS still has outsold the PSP in the world market but it's been out longer, has had more production units, and has been launched in the US, the largest gaming market in the world. So no fraking crap.

PSP: 74,405 (Annual: 267,602)
Nintendo DS: 43,226 (Annual: 249,922)

mattredd
02-05-05, 02:08 PM
Are you and reading mutually exclusive? The PSP has now outsold the DS in Japan for the year of 2005. Yes the DS still has outsold the PSP in the world market but it's been out longer, has had more production units, and has been launched in the US, the largest gaming market in the world. So no fraking crap.

PSP: 74,405 (Annual: 267,602)
Nintendo DS: 43,226 (Annual: 249,922)

Why are you quoting annual numbers?

Total sales in Japan are as follows

DS 1.547M
PSP 699k

And with a 29k advantage in sales it will take approx. 29 weeks for the PSP to even match the total sales of the DS. All figures taken from here

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20021

BTW the DS only had a 10 day advantage over the PSP so selling double the number of PSPs in Japan is still very impressive.

Vagrant Zero
02-05-05, 02:36 PM
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20021

BTW the DS only had a 10 day advantage over the PSP so selling double the number of PSPs in Japan is still very impressive.

Not when there's no PSP to sell.

On the launch day the PSP sold almost as much as the DS did during an entire week.

And I'm quoting this year because the PSP's production is starting to ramp up in Japan. Just goes to show when there's enough PSPs out there to buy they'll be bought much faster than DSs.

mattredd
02-05-05, 03:49 PM
You are forgetting that the DS has a 800k+ lead over te PSP and the PSP is only selling 29k more than the DS so the PSP has a long way to go to displace the DS.

Rakeesh
02-05-05, 03:50 PM
See, I am an expert at pissing people off :D

Vagrant Zero
02-07-05, 05:43 PM
You are forgetting that the DS has a 800k+ lead over te PSP and the PSP is only selling 29k more than the DS so the PSP has a long way to go to displace the DS.

You're forgetting the PSP sold as much during it's first day [actually it was alrady sold out by noon so it's more like a quarter of a day] as the DS did during the whole week.

You're going to be dissapointed if you believe the DS will hold that lead indefinitely.

Zelda_fan
02-07-05, 05:59 PM

Nintendo owns handhelds plain and simple. It was a mistake for sony to get into that biz. They are going to get jacked just like the n-gauge, game gear, etc. The reason it sold so well in Japan is because Sony pretty much owns Japan. From what my friends at college are saying, 9 out of 10 people think the PSP sucks. It dosen't matter if the PSP was God's gift to handhelds, it still wouldn't sell becasue only a few people think it's good. I talked to EB games and they said the pre-order for the PSP was nowhere near what it was for the DS.

GamerGuyX
02-07-05, 06:39 PM
I talked to EB games and they said the pre-order for the PSP was nowhere near what it was for the DS.

Okay first off the people that work at EB are idiots plain and simple. So don't believe anything they tell you. Even if it is about pre-order statistics.

Which brings me to my next point, a lot of people (aka: casual gamers) dont even know about the PSP yet. When it comes closer to the launch date a lot more people are going to get pre-orders in. Its not a fair comparison to compare the amount of pre-orders the DS had when you could only pre-order the PSP for a short while.

Oh and I personally cannot wait for the PSP. And seeing as how many people agree with me on this point in these forums... well lets just say... the PSP is going to do just fine. ;)

Zelda_fan
02-07-05, 07:17 PM
reasons why the psp will flop

1.) battery life is 4 hours
2.) uses CD's = skipping while in a car
3.) uses CD's = load times
4.) They are probably just going to remake a bunch of PS2 games rather than develope specific games for the PSP.

It's portability features are nearly worthless. Sure it has a nice screen, but what's the point? It's supposed to be a portable system and that is where it is lacking. I mean what is the point of this system? Why not just buy a PS2?

GamerGuyX
02-07-05, 07:23 PM
1.) battery life is 4 hours
2.) uses CD's = skipping while in a car
3.) uses CD's = load times
4.) They are probably just going to remake a bunch of PS2 games rather than develope specific games for the PSP.

1.) What do you expect? The battery has to power the equivalent of a PS2. Its still enough time to play for awhile. And worst comes to worst, buy a second battery.

2.) Ever hear of anti-skipping technology? *cough* CD players *cough*

3.) Load times are fine from what I hear. Not nearly as long as you make it out to be.

4.) Mario 64 DS 'nuff said.

You know I could make a list of reasons why you are a Nintendo fanboy but it would take forever to complete!

Zelda_fan
02-07-05, 07:30 PM
1.) What do you expect? The battery has to power the equivalent of a PS2.

2.) Ever hear of anti-skipping technology? *cough* CD players *cough*

3.) Load times are fine from what I hear. Not nearly as long as you make it out to be.

4.) Mario 64 DS 'nuff said.

You know I could make a list of reasons why you are a Nintendo fanboy but it would take forever to complete!

1.) THE BATTERY LIFE IS STILL 4 HOURS. I ask again what's the point of a portable system if the battery will be crapping out on you all the time?

2.) Audio CD's work different than data CD's do. The whole reason anti-skip works is becasue when a track is playing, the CD players knows exactly what data will be read next so it can back it up to a buffer. With a PSP data CD, any part of the data can be accessed at any time, makeing it impossible to be skip proof.

3.) Still - load times. You can wait for your game to load while I will be playing merily along with a cartridge.

4.) ONE SINGLE GAME is a remake. Everything else is origional. Plus if you've actually played Mario 64 DS it is qutie a bit more than a remake.

You know I could make a list of reasons why you are a Sony fanboy but it would take forever to complete!

GamerGuyX
02-07-05, 07:32 PM
You know I could make a list of reasons why you are a Sony fanboy but it would take forever to complete!

The difference between me and you is that I actually like both systems.

ONE SINGLE GAME is a remake. Everything else is origional. Plus if you've actually played Mario 64 DS it is qutie a bit more than a remake.

Advance Wars DS anyone? Besides every game that has Mario and all the other Nintendo characters in it is basically a remake/rehash. If ANYONE recycles concepts over, and, over, and over again its NINTENDO.

1.) THE BATTERY LIFE IS STILL 4 HOURS. I ask again what's the point of a portable system if the battery will be crapping out on you all the time?

Your telling me that every time you play a handheld its for more than 4 hours!!! Ha! 4 hours is plenty. Besides if you are one of those people that do play for that long then you can get a second battery.

2.) Audio CD's work different than data CD's do. The whole reason anti-skip works is becasue when a track is playing, the CD players knows exactly what data will be read next so it can back it up to a buffer. With a PSP data CD, any part of the data can be accessed at any time, makeing it impossible to be skip proof.

See here's the thing you fail to realize: SONY HAS ALREADY CREATED A WAY TO PREVENT PSP GAMES FROM SKIPPING

GamerGuyX
02-07-05, 07:41 PM
3.) Still - load times. You can wait for your game to load while I will be playing merily along with a cartridge.

Thats fine with me I'll wait. I'll be playing games with PS2 quality graphics while you will be playing games that are Nintendo 64 quality. I'll take a wait like that anyday!

Zelda_fan
02-07-05, 07:43 PM
Advance Wars DS anyone? Besides every game that has Mario and all the other Nintendo characters in it is basically a remake/rehash. If ANYONE recycles concepts over, and, over, and over again its NINTENDO.

I suppose half life 2 is a remake? I suppose World of Warcraft is just a remake as well?

on the sony side:

I suppose SOCOM II is just a remake? I suppose the dynasty warriors series are all just remakes? I suppose Metal Gear 3 is a remake? Bascially every game that ever existed is a remake by your definition.

and you say nintendo recycles concepts over and over? The PSP is a recycled PS2 in a handheld for crying out loud! Oh yeah, and nintendo also put some brand new ideas into there handheld like 3D grahics (the DS is the 1st handheld with 3d graphics), simulated surround sound, a touhscreen, and a voice sensitive microphone.

look, I don't care about nintendo, and I dont' care about sony, but some of the points you make don't make a lot of sense.

Zelda_fan
02-07-05, 07:45 PM
Thats fine with me I'll wait. I'll be playing games with PS2 quality graphics while you will be playing games that are Nintendo 64 quality. I'll take a wait like that anyday!

graphics don't = better games

WeReWoLf
02-07-05, 07:45 PM
WILL PEOPLE REMEMBER THAT THE PSP IS IN DIRECT COMPETITION WITH THE GAMEBOY SERIES, NOT DS?! Sorry for caps, it's just that it seems no-one besides me remembers that the DS is not classified as a true handheld system. This puts it in a new class. The PSP is competing with the Gameboy series, Not the DS. Let's recap... PSP not against DS.