PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Modstream 450W PSU

extreme4377
02-04-05, 07:52 PM
Your thoughts? Im looking at this PSU wondering if its gonna go to hell like my TT PSU did. Figures, TT is of course absolute crap. Anyone have any experience with this PSU? Any drawbacks? Would you recommend something else over this PSU? Not looking to spend much. I dont have a power hungry PC but I do want good, clean, stable power thatll last me more than 6 or 7 months.

linky (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-104-154&DEPA=0)

Rytr
02-04-05, 08:27 PM
Several have posted good results with the 470 and 520W OCZ PowerStream psu's but I have not read much on the 450W.
For <$100 I would consider the 480W Antec to be dependable although I did have to rma one that I received that was faulty. Fortran/Source make good psu's and have a wide selection at reasonable prices and I have read they even make some of PC Power&Cooling's units.

doodlebob
02-04-05, 09:17 PM
I ordered one and should be getting it by wednesday.The only compaint I have heard is the cables being stiff. Here is a review of the 450w model. (http://www.rbmods.com/Articles/Ocz/Modstream_450w/2.php)
http://img232.exs.cx/img232/2797/glowing12jo.jpg :D

Rytr
02-04-05, 10:09 PM
If you are interested in the approximate watts that are needed to power your system you might give this a go for the fun of it. It seems to be updated frequently. Here is the link: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

I have found the calculated results to be close to what I use on my systems. Of course, remember that you want your psu to be capable of providing this as a baseline and extra power is always a good idea especially if you overclock.

jAkUp
02-04-05, 11:14 PM
OCZ's are fantastic PSU's second best in the market IMO :) Best PSU without spending $200 :)

extreme4377
02-04-05, 11:21 PM
I used that calculator. Supposedly Im only drawing 262 watts. Id be fine with a 350 but I want a higher powered PSU. In the 400s atleast just to be safe for the future. Can someone recommend me a good PSU? I looked at the NeoPower from Antec but it seems to have problems with its 12V line. Basically, what Im asking is, if you had my system, what would you get? I dont wanna spend more than 115 shipped but the NeoPower is an option I suppose

Rytr
02-05-05, 12:02 AM
Don't blame you for wanting a little 'safety' net. Good idea too since the wattage displayed on most psu's are peak numbers at best. For example, the Fortron 500W psu displays 500W while it actually can support 461W with very good efficiency. That is better than most.
For your price limit there are a number of choices available to meet your needs. Among them are JakUp's suggestion of OCZ with the 470W PowerStream and 450W ModStream well in your price range. Also, the tried and true Antec 480W (made by ChannelWell?) along with Fortron's 500W psu. Any of these would be a good choice, IMO.
Although I have not used OCZ I would lean toward one of those choices as the rated rails on their units look very good and from various posts their support on their new psu's is excellent.
There are a number of on-line reviews to mull over before you decide, just google them up. :)

extreme4377
02-05-05, 01:02 AM
Thanks Rytr. Youve been much help for me. Ill have to look around some more and read some reviews. Im getting a multimeter tomorrow to test out my TT 560W PSU and see if my problem is with my PSU or mobo(10* CPU temp increase and 10% voltage drop)

PaiN
02-05-05, 06:17 AM
Like I PMed you Ex.....I'd RMA the TT PSU if you find the the volts to be off. Thermaltake PSU's are excellent, no need to give one up just because yours has (maybe) gone bad.....I don't understand why you want to step back to lower wattage PSU, if you're looking for a "safety net" :confused: with the TT @ 560watts, that's alot of net ;)

saturnotaku
02-05-05, 07:07 AM
Like I PMed you Ex.....I'd RMA the TT PSU if you find the the volts to be off. Thermaltake PSU's are excellent, no need to give one up just because yours has (maybe) gone bad.....I don't understand why you want to step back to lower wattage PSU, if you're looking for a "safety net" :confused: with the TT @ 560watts, that's alot of net ;)

I'm with PaiN on this one. I have the same PSU, and I can tell you that it's been nothing but reliable since I put it in my system. My machine runs pretty much 24/7 and the PSU delivers consistent juice to keep it stable. I would definitely see about getting an RMA on that, it sounds like you got a bum unit.

extreme4377
02-05-05, 11:44 AM
Im starting the process of a cross shipment on Monday. Im going to get a multimeter today to make sure my problem is with my PSU. If its not, I think I hear Intel calling my name. As for getting a different PSU, its just an itch. You all know how it is. Getting a new piece of hardware is just....welll schweet! Thanks for the help. Ill report back later today

extreme4377
02-05-05, 03:38 PM
Ok, so heres the deal. PSU is fine. Seems like the mobo's sensor is shot to hell and its readings are way off. I tested with a multimeter with the system on and off and got readings of 12.05-12.14, 3.41-3.44, 5.15-5.17. So Id say no new powersupply for now.

As for the mobo, I dunno what to do. Do you think its just a problem with the sensor or is the mobo dying on me? I know someone else mentioned that their sensor died on em and theyre temps are displayed as being in the high 60s and voltages way off. So my next question is, keep my system how it is and stop worrying about the readings, RMA the mobo(ugh), or make the move to a nice 3.2 or 3.4GHz LGA775 setup?

Rytr
02-05-05, 04:23 PM
I have almost the same system except for a 3400+ CH and an Antec 480W TP plus I have a 775 system (in sig). The only reason for you to change is just that you want to change (I can understand that :D)...except maybe for going to PCI-e.
My DFI 250GB shows correct temps and rail voltage outputs in the bios. SmartGuardian software reads both sets of info incorrectly.

extreme4377
02-06-05, 12:26 AM
Mine reads incorrectly in both places. Ill keep it for now I guess. Ive been spending a lot of money lately so Ill hold off until summer I guess. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help!!!

Absolution
02-06-05, 12:28 PM
OCZ makes great powersupplies

my rails dont change... at all

Rytr
02-06-05, 01:18 PM
My next personal psu purchase may very well be OCZ as the performance being reported is good. Non-fluctuating rails are a plus and as such help support the over-all stability of your system. It appears that the OCZ-badged units, core components or the whole psu, may be coming from a quality source (Tagan).

john19055
02-09-05, 03:51 AM
IMO OCZ powerstream is the best power supply for the money I have a 470w OCZ Powerstream and it is very stable and I can overclock very good if I need to with no problems ,I have ran my A64 3400+ at 2.7 with the cpu voltage at 1.6v and my Evga 6800 Ultra at 475/1250 with no problem ,but I keep it at stock since it is fast enough for me without overclocking.IMO PC + Power + cooling runs secound since it cost so much more .I have not heard of the 450w OCZ ,but if it is anything like it's brothers it should be good.

extreme4377
02-09-05, 05:45 PM
Once again, thanks for everyone's help but after testing my PSU, it turns out that my mobo just has a blown circuit and the readings are off. The PSU is doing great! Thanks!