PDA

View Full Version : A few problems with new SLI rig

ronin17
02-05-05, 01:40 AM
I am in the process of putting a new computer together, here's what is going in it.
Asus A8N-SLI 1003 final bios
Antec 550W PSU
AMD64 4000+
2 eVGA 6800GT
2gb Corsair XMS
2 WD Raptors
1 WD 250gb
Viewsonic VP201B
Koolance watercooling (CPU, both Video cards, and NB chip)
No overclocking

First both cards were working fine as I worked out some issues with installing Windows XP, then suddenly the bottom card quit. This gave me CPU fail on VGA test errors on post, I took out the bottom card and everything worked, I took out the working card and put the bottom one in the top PCI-E port and it still gave me CPU Fail on VGA test.

I don't understand how the card could be working one moment and fail the next, I don;t believe it's a SLI issue really because even when the card was plugged in by itself it still would give me an vga error. I assume I will have to RMA the card right now, but I will try and see what I can do to maybe fix it.

Second problem, I finally get around to fixing my HD issues so I can finally install Windows, and suddenly the LCD says it doesn't have any input for DVI-D. All of the connections are tight and I turn it off and on without any results. I try a DVI to Dsub connector and the LCD works fine with a D sub connection. I try DVI with the LCD with a old computer and it works fine, what could make my video card stop working with DVI, yet work fine with a DVI to D sub connector?

I am lost with these issues, the only thing I can think of is that my video cards aren't getting clean power, I am thinking maybe the Antec just isn't going to cut it with this setup. Thanks in advance for any possible solutions or tips.

ronin17
02-05-05, 03:40 PM
Fixed the DVI issue with a monitor driver update from viewsonic, thank god that problem was so easy.

The second video card on the other hand looks like it is DOA, I can't get the power led on the board to light up, the board is just dead.

Time to start the RMA process.

Veger
02-05-05, 04:08 PM
Dam man that just sucks. I am starting to find strange issue with evga cards, they are not as good as I thought they were. I have had better luck with XFX and they are cheaper too!!! Both 2d and 3d clocks have to be the same for max stablity on the 6800ultras, plus there stickers just fall off the cards, and if the sticker goes into the fan, that great card just became a paperweight.

Hope everything works out for you it can be very frustrating...

PSYCHODAD
02-05-05, 06:09 PM
Dam man that just sucks. I am starting to find strange issue with evga cards, they are not as good as I thought they were. I have had better luck with XFX and they are cheaper too!!! Both 2d and 3d clocks have to be the same for max stablity on the 6800ultras, plus there stickers just fall off the cards, and if the sticker goes into the fan, that great card just became a paperweight.

Hope everything works out for you it can be very frustrating...

I'd have to agree. So far the XFX cards are working great in my sli setup.

Sorry to hear about your vid card problems Ronin17. Sounds like it's gonna be an awesome system after its all together.

ronin17
02-05-05, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys, hopefully the RMA process from eVGA will be quick and painless.

On the bright side this new computer is great with just one 6800GT :)

tret
02-06-05, 01:56 PM
Hey Ronin, I had a similar prob with one of my EVGA GT cards, I got 2x GT's in nov and had to wait untill late dec before i could try them out. One GT was simply Dead, RMA process took about 2 1/2 weeks. Good luck to you.

tret