PDA

View Full Version : Best card for Apple Cinema Display 30" PCIE

iannagle
02-05-05, 06:01 AM
My GeForce 6800 GT 256 card arrived yesterday and I discovered that I can't use it cause it's Dual DVI and not DUAL LINK DVI (I know I should've read these forums first!).
I've read in some old threads that a GeForce Quadro FX 4000 or FX 4400 would work but they don't seem to be on the market any longer.
Can anyone - ideally whose using an ACD30" please give me some advice;
I want a card in the $500-600 range (less would be nice) at a resolution of 1920 X 1200 and it would be good but not essential to run a second display off it also.

Thanks,
Ian

saturnotaku
02-05-05, 07:03 AM
My GeForce 6800 GT 256 card arrived yesterday and I discovered that I can't use it cause it's Dual DVI and not DUAL LINK DVI (I know I should've read these forums first!).
I've read in some old threads that a GeForce Quadro FX 4000 or FX 4400 would work but they don't seem to be on the market any longer.
Can anyone - ideally whose using an ACD30" please give me some advice;
I want a card in the $500-600 range (less would be nice) at a resolution of 1920 X 1200 and it would be good but not essential to run a second display off it also.

Thanks,
Ian

What you're asking for doesn't exist, and such a product likely will never be released, at least in the price range you're looking for. You'll either have to bite the bullet and get the high-end Quadro card (for $2,000 and pretty much be unable to play games), ditch your monitor and purchase a Windows-compatible display or keep the ACD and buy a Mac to go with it.

iannagle
02-05-05, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that but I'm convinced that there's gotta be some other options!
I know that Apple offer a 6800 Ultra DDL card for $700 and a 6800GT dual, dual link for less, but its for an AGP slot when I need PCI express.

GlowStick
02-05-05, 07:03 PM
wow, qutie a predicment

First of all, i have to say thats one kick ass montior, i wish i had it :D

But also, finding a card that has dual link is prtty hard, but one thats PEG also is very hard!

And i ahvent herd the details but your right, it seems impossible to find a PEG quadro 4000 seires right now hmm this is a pickle.

saturnotaku
02-05-05, 08:17 PM
Thanks for that but I'm convinced that there's gotta be some other options!

Not for Windows-based machines there isn't. There's no market for such a card. Most people who require dual link either have a Mac or are professionals who would use a Quadro-based card.

GlowStick
02-05-05, 08:54 PM
Ok,

There is one option that im not even going to call an option, its a farshot from hearsay and rumors!

Some people have been reporting that the Asus V9999 Gt oddly enough has one dual link dvi port on it. There has been alot of reports confirming this. However I personly do not trust it untill i could see it for my self.

Next rumor, the GTO that was sold by dell, ALSO seems to support dual link dvi on ONE port. Now, those reports almost back eachother up. Asus is one of the largeist manufacutres for boards, it would make sence that DELL contracted asus to make the GTO cards for them.

Rumor Numbah 3. More unconfirmed reports (very sketchy) that asus changed their desgin and new Asus V9999 Gt will not support dual link dvi.

Now take that to account, there is MAYBE a SLIM chance that the Pci-Express version would support dual link dvi? Maybe it will, but PROBLY not.

However, since im going to assume you must have some cash backing your self up, id order one from a reputble store that you CAN return to, try it out.

Now keep in mind, that if the card dose have dual link dvi, it will not simply offer the res via the control panel. However you will have to tweak it with a custom resolution etc.

Id take that as a grain of salt, and but if you do have a big bank and dont mind thowing 400$ around then you can take a gamble, but i still say its a long shot so id prepare to return it.

saturnotaku
02-05-05, 09:54 PM
Most places will let you return the product within 15 or 30 days, you'd just have to prepare to pay a minimum of a 15% restocking fee. At least that's the case with online shops, if you can find a brick and mortar store that has it (very unlikely) you may be better served buying it there even if it carries a higher price because they would be better about returning it.

Although I personally haven't heard any of those rumors about the Asus cards supporting dual link, it's probably worth taking a chance on.

Badash
02-06-05, 02:22 AM
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-468&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-133-121&depa=0

The 4000 is agp, the 4400 is pci-e
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-133-125&depa=0

4400:
http://www.ntsi.com/order/video.asp

The firegl v5000 might be the cheapest: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10398756&SearchEngine=Froogle&SearchTerm=10398756&Type=PE&Category=Comp&dcaid=17379

http://mirror.ati.com/products/fireglv5000/

Cota
02-06-05, 04:16 AM
First of all this is theory.

If it works or not I can't tell, as I don't have a way to test it.

Now.

4 things limit the bandwith available for a DVI display

TDMS transmitter quality
Resolution
Refresh rate
Screen blanking time

The maximum bandwith available for DVI is 165mhz. In reality depending on the card it can go as low as 140mhz, in cards with dual DVI it even varies from port to port. TDMS transmitters based on Silicon Image SIL 164 generally give a better bandwith, close to 162mhz. ATI has better integrated TDMS than nvidia.

If your card can give better than 160mhz bandwith, it is possible to create a 1920x1200 DVI resolution with custom timing (50hz or even 48hz) and reduced blanking (about 5%)

You can even try an interlaced resolution.

You can use rivatuner or the nvidia control panel to create a custom resolution.

hope this helps.

iannagle
02-06-05, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check out that Asus option and if that doesn't have the dual link at least now I know that a FireGL from newsegg is an option 'cause it's very annoying having a $3K monitor sitting there gathering dust!

GlowStick
02-06-05, 12:56 PM
Hm, Badash gave a very intresting idea

I now change my vote to the ATI FireGL V7100, because it fits the criteria and isnt that expensive (compared to PEG quadro cards) it has very good 2d qualtiy, and a nice large 256mb framebuffer all in a nice package.

Can i ask what your main use will be however? Like CAD work or just web browseing etc.

Here is the short list of reasons why the FireGL is a good choice

1. In Stock
2. Gaurenteed to work
3. Decent Price (compared to other workstation cards)

Fynx-Gloire
02-06-05, 02:28 PM
What you're asking for doesn't exist, and such a product likely will never be released, at least in the price range you're looking for. You'll either have to bite the bullet and get the high-end Quadro card (for $2,000 and pretty much be unable to play games), ditch your monitor and purchase a Windows-compatible display or keep the ACD and buy a Mac to go with it.

You don't know what your talking about!
Matrox released a card for the PC's that support the new Apple Cinema display.
http://www.avvmmp.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=30291
price $628.00

Nuff said!

Sean

iannagle
02-06-05, 03:02 PM
Perfect, thanks Sean - that Matrox card is the one for me.
That FireGL V7100 looks great too but what finally sold it to me was that I can get the Matrox card in Ireland off the shelf and I just want that ACD up and working at this stage. Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

GlowStick
02-06-05, 03:10 PM
Oh wow that looks like one awesome card! I like how it works in pci slots and has a large framebuffer. Defaintly a nice card, and you can still have a second card in there for games!

HoseHead
02-09-05, 12:01 PM
Hmm - I just emailed Matrox asking if they had Linux drivers for the DL 256 and got this response:

Thank you for your interest in the Parhelia DL256. Unfortunately not only s the card not ready but we do not have any drivers that have been developed for the DL256. Whether or not this will change in the coming weeks and months I do not know. I have submitted your email as a feature request.

saturnotaku
02-09-05, 12:04 PM
You don't know what your talking about!
Matrox released a card for the PC's that support the new Apple Cinema display.
http://www.avvmmp.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=30291
price $628.00

And that card was annoucned what? 2 weeks ago? No need to be a little ball licker about it.

Ninjaman09
02-09-05, 12:14 PM
And that card was annoucned what? 2 weeks ago? No need to be a little ball licker about it.
Yeah, I'd noticed that too. What a little ball licker.