PDA

View Full Version : Need a quiet 92mm fan for my case...any suggestions?

Ninjaman09
02-05-05, 01:29 PM
Topic says it all. This Shuttle's thermal dynamics are extremely impressive but it requires a fan constantly running to keep the system cool, otherwise the excess heat buildup really causes heat problems in the hard drives and my GPU. I have it running at extremely good temperatures now but this damn fan is loud as hell, so I'm looking for the most quiet 92mm fan around that still can push the air out. Any suggestions?

Clay
02-05-05, 02:12 PM
I just got this one from Sidewinder:
http://sidewindercomputers.com/92clearulwit1.html

I'm just about to plug it in for the first time now...will report back shortly.

The attached rheostat is a nice touch. This fan has been around for a while so I've always kind of wondered about it. It has a slight "buzz" sound to it...not a "whine" if that makes any sense. Don't get me wrong, it's quiet but that's just the sound that it does make. Up to about a 3/4 turn of the rheostat it doesn't get noticeably louder. Once you turn it the last 1/4 though it does get more noticeable. This is all with it out of the case right in front of me. So it would get masked in the case quite a bit I'm sure with other noise.

Compared to the following for example:
Sunon 92x25mm, 56cfm: 3pin with RPM, 92x25mm, 12VDC, 3400RPM, 56CFM, 39dBA

This fan is better in both CFM and dB levels.

UPDATE: I also have the Sunon fan mentioned above. I justed tested both of them outside the case side-by-side and the Sunon is MUCH louder. So I'm really pleased with how quiet the Enermax is.

However, the Sunon "seems" to be moving more air...at least with more force. I'm no expert on how CFM is measured. I have a quick test I do with a regular sheet of printer paper. I hold it up to the top edge of the fan housing and see how much the fan causes the paper to lift. The Sunon cause the sheet to lift about 1/4" but the Enermax only lifted it about 1/8" or less. Clear as mud? :angel: At any rate, this Enermax is very quiet to be supposedly outputting the CFMs that it claims.

JoKeRr
02-05-05, 05:19 PM
a 92mm panaflo at blow 2400rpm is inaudioble.

Akirhol
02-05-05, 07:21 PM
I'm a fan of the panaflo fans as well... I got a 120mm Panaflo (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-180-081&depa=0) from Newegg, and the noise from it is minimal, as was the Panaflo 80mm I had previously. I would expect the 92mm to perform accordingly.

Clay
02-05-05, 08:30 PM
Absolutely. Panaflos go without saying in quality, low noise, etc. I just found this Enermax to be an interesting 92mm option and the rheostat is always nice to have. Also, this is quieter than my 21db Panaflos at its lowest setting.

extreme4377
02-06-05, 12:27 AM
Nexus seem to be the best. Check out www.endpcnoise.com the orange nexus fans are the best for silence and CFM. www.silentpcreview.com is a great site and their forums are excellent