PDA

View Full Version : Improving game performance problem

GuOD
02-05-05, 03:28 PM
When I play Far Cry I only get about 30 fps which is sort of difficult to play with because it lags when I see guys and start shooting at them. I wanted to try and tweak the game to make it run much smoother but I haven't noticed any difference really, it still lags. Running at 1680x1050 with 4x AA and 1X AF (chaning between 1 and 8 makes almost no noticable difference as far as I can tell)

amd 64 939 3200+
bfg 6800GT Oc 370/1000
1gb DDr400

I tried overclocking and had the ram at 208mhz, cpu at 2500mhz, and card at 400/1150. When I played farcry I had the same FPS as before though? I don't understand why there was no change at all and it was still lagging. The oc was stable and my 3dmark03 score did increase. (12800~)

The other problem I had is that I could use Riva Tuner to put video card to 420/1150 and it would pass test.. I'd run rthdribl and the FPS would be quite hgih, but then if I clsoe it and try running again, the FPS would be lower than stock. I'd go back to Riva Tuner and try to pass tests and I'd have to drop the clock back down to 400 or lower. Is there some problem?

wEEt
02-05-05, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I used to have the same problem. Wasn't able to fix it so I didn't play FarCry...

GuOD
02-05-05, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I used to have the same problem. Wasn't able to fix it so I didn't play FarCry...

Do you have the problem in any other games?

I can run doom3 at 1680x1050 w/ 4x AA and ultra quality but it will lag at certain points but if I set it to high qual w/ 4x AA the game runs perfectly.
I've never tested the fps even because there wasn't a problem.. and I'm sure overclocking wouldn't do anything at all.

hypertek
02-06-05, 06:25 PM
I love farcry, and I actually enjoy the gameplay modes for online play, think its better then hl2 deathmatch...

as far as the fps, I know what you mean, my system gets laggy too, otherwise it would be a really enjoyible play. If you have HDR on, set it to 2 or 4 or something, and turn of AA.

einstein_314
02-06-05, 06:50 PM
What drivers are you using? And how do you get 1x AF? Through RivaTuner? What happens if you disable Antialiasing and Anistropic filtering all together? (0x/0x). What are your ingame settings for AA and AF? What about the NV control panel? One of them may be set to like 8x AA. That would definately bring down your fps. Maybe far cry has a problem with your resolution?

GuOD
02-06-05, 06:53 PM
What drivers are you using? And how do you get 1x AF? Through RivaTuner? What happens if you disable Antialiasing and Anistropic filtering all together? (0x/0x). What are your ingame settings for AA and AF? What about the NV control panel? One of them may be set to like 8x AA. That would definately bring down your fps. Maybe far cry has a problem with your resolution?

All drivers are basically the same. I think it's just a problem in the game design.

CPanel is set to app controlled for all. Ingame it's set to 4X AA and 1x AF (AF goes from 1-8). HDR level is 0 and HDRrendering is 0.

I've tried disabling AA but it still lags. I even tried playing a smaller resoultion... I think it's just a problem with loading the bad guys AI in the level or something.