PDA

View Full Version : Megagames Top 10 games for 2004

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
02-05-05, 04:12 PM
I know this might be old news .. but this is the first top 10 list that i mostly agree with ! :D
http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/andthewinneris.shtml

the ranks from 1 to 10 :
1 - Half Life 2 (PC)
2 - Doom3 (PC)
3 - FarCry (PC)
4 - GTA : San Andreas (PS2)
5 - NFSU2 (All Platforms)
6 - Halo 2 (XBOX)
7 - World of Warcraft (PC)
8 - Rome : Total War (PC)
9 - PoP : WW (All Platforms)
10 - UT2004 (PC)

stncttr908
02-05-05, 07:13 PM
IMO, NFSU2 and PoP have no business being on that list. Oh well, MegaGames is a joke anyway.

superklye
02-05-05, 07:18 PM
IMO, NFSU2 and PoP have no business being on that list. Oh well, MegaGames is a joke anyway.
I agree and UT2k4 and Doom 3 should be switched.

Mr. Hunt
02-05-05, 07:37 PM
That has to be the worst list ever.

Darkoz
02-05-05, 08:02 PM
I know this might be old news .. but this is the first top 10 list that i mostly agree with ! :D
http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/andthewinneris.shtml

the ranks from 1 to 10 :
1 - Half Life 2 (PC)
2 - Doom3 (PC)
3 - FarCry (PC)
4 - GTA : San Andreas (PS2)
5 - NFSU2 (All Platforms)
6 - Halo 2 (XBOX)
7 - World of Warcraft (PC)
8 - Rome : Total War (PC)
9 - PoP : WW (All Platforms)
10 - UT2004 (PC)

That is a terrible rankings list.
UT2004 at number 10??
And where's Chronicles Of Riddick ?... which should share first place with farCry.

Edge
02-05-05, 08:09 PM
Yeah, the rankings for PoP:WW is pretty questionable (what a disapointing, rushed game that was), and Riddick definatly deserves a place on the list. Not so sure about NFS:U2's ranking either...I definatly don't see that deserving a place in the top games of 2004 (in fact I rather expected MGS3 to be in the slot set aside for NFS:U2). But of course, only the "popular" games will ever see these lists, if the game isn't well known it won't even be nominated, which is really quite sad when you think about it. Just wait fellas, in a few years EVERY game on a "top games of the year" list will be an EA game, simply because those will be the most heavilly advertised and well-known.

Edge
02-05-05, 08:27 PM
Heh, now THAT ranking I can agree with (well, maybe the last two would be replaced with Kingdom Under Fire and MGS3, but it's still good ;) ).

nutcrackr
02-05-05, 08:30 PM
Good to see PC getting the top 3 places. But the list isn't really representative of what I'd have.

stubby
02-05-05, 09:46 PM
Ranking should be imho (PC Only that is)

1. Rome TW
2. HL2
3. Richard Burns Rally
4.Chronicles of Riddick
5. Far Cry
6. POP: Warrior Within
7. Myst IV: Revelation
8. Vampire: Bloodlines
9. Full Spectrum Warrior
10. Sims 2

SH64
02-05-05, 10:40 PM
Good to see PC getting the top 3 places. But the list isn't really representative of what I'd have.

Yeah my idea was its maybe the first list to respect the PC games . 90% of the other lists barly have one or two PC games in thier list & usually taking last places ...

YOGIx213
02-05-05, 11:27 PM
Chronicles of Riddick HAS to be on that list, where exactly is definitely open for debate, but to not even have a mention is sad. That game deserves some accolades.

GlowStick
02-05-05, 11:31 PM
Chronicles was the worst game I ever played. If it wasent a christmas gift i would of demanded a refund.

jAkUp
02-05-05, 11:33 PM
Yipes, I actually thought chronicles of riddick was one of the best games this year.

saturnotaku
02-05-05, 11:33 PM
Riddick deserves to be on that list if only for the fact that it's a movie game that didn't completely suck. It still needs a patch or two to address some issues, but I'm impressed at the amount of polish it does have.

GamerGuyX
02-06-05, 12:26 AM
Chronicles was the BEST game I ever played!!! If it wasent a christmas gift i would of been willing to spend $1 million just so I could have my own copy!!!

Edited for truth :cool:

Slyder
02-06-05, 06:31 AM
Chronicles was the worst game I ever played. If it wasent a christmas gift i would of demanded a refund.

Ditto.

I played the first couple of levels of EFBB (director's cut) and fell asleep. It lived upto my expectations I guess. The whole game being set in a dark naff looking prison. :rolleyes:

The top 10 games for 2004 list Megagames put out was fair I guess, I dont see my personal list being much different. HL2 won first place and rightly so. That put games like Doom3 and Farcry to shame. UT2004 had its moment in the sun and came last purely because its the same on every level and I found it to become very boring - very quickly.

Kudos to Megagames - good call :thumbsup:

|MaguS|
02-06-05, 07:15 AM
Pftt no MGS3 makes it the worse list evah!

saturnotaku
02-06-05, 08:11 AM
I played the first couple of levels of EFBB (director's cut) and fell asleep. It lived upto my expectations I guess. The whole game being set in a dark naff looking prison.

I felt the same way about Doom 3, except that it didn't even come close to living up to my expectations. However, for its technical accomplishments, I think it does deserve to be on the list.

lognoronon
02-06-05, 12:55 PM
Not to mention the great price tag on riddick for the quality of game you got.

OWA
02-06-05, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I was shocked COR wasn't in the top five and even more shocked it wasn't listed in the top 10. A great game and even better when you consider it only costs $29.99 (normally found on sale for $25).

CaptNKILL
02-06-05, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I was shocked COR wasn't in the top five and even more shocked it wasn't listed in the top 10. A great game and even better when you consider it only costs $29.99 (normally found on sale for $25).
Yeah same here. It wasnt very long (though it was incredibly adicting, so I played it non stop for 6 hours at a time) but it was an amazing game for such a low price.

I got it as a christmas present too, and now the box is sitting with the games I'll never get rid of :)

GlowStick
02-06-05, 01:47 PM
list down the reasons why its sucked...
1. Gameplay - Slow, retarded weapons, the prison quests were equalty retarded. When sneaking Objecs such as boxes and crates did NOT block AI visibility. Very unorignal, very craptacualr.

2. AI - Needs major overhaul. I would be crouching in a hallway with a bend at the end. I stand still behind a box only to hear a guard yell for help run around the corner and stand aginst the box im at trying to shoot though it. Then, in the early prison levels, I would cut a guards neck with the shiv and his guard buddy standing right next to him would just stand there. Then id move on to him.

3. Controls - Worst controls ever. Fist fighting system is so unimgantive and unresponvie, I did better just mashing keys. Weapons were no better, useless.

4. Graphics - Graphics were hardly groundbreaking, yet ran amazingly bad. No support for AA at all.

5. Cutsceens - Somehow I did not enjoy wathcing a 320x280 moive on my 1600x1200 desktop. Maybe its just me?

Sazar
02-06-05, 01:57 PM
riddick had its quirks, but I give it props for being different and also engaging :)

the ai was certainly retarded... I'd have completed a mission and be walking up a flight of stairs and a guard would suddenly become alerted on the OTHER SIDE of the door before its even opened or he could have possibly heard me... then he would start shooting THROUGH the door @ me...

the hand to hand combat was actually pretty kewl :) some nice combo's in there once you got the hang of it...

stealth could have been worked in a little better but was adequate for me... was sad how he got his eye shine though :( was a bit underwhelming for me...

however... putting everything together, riddick just sort of works... even with its little quirks here and there...

SH64
02-06-05, 02:28 PM
4. Graphics - Graphics were hardly groundbreaking, yet ran amazingly bad. No support for AA at all.

The newer drivers enables AA in CoR . try the 71.24 for instance .

1337_Like_ThaT
02-06-05, 03:07 PM
Regardless of what anyone sayz, Half Life 2 deserves to be #1 game of the year. Far cry probably could win the vote for best graphics, but not best game.