PDA

View Full Version : Funny ad for Vampire: Bloodlines

superklye
02-05-05, 03:18 PM
It was in my new FHM (I get it free). It's basically an ad whoring both the game and nVIDIA. I found it to be somewhat funny considering it's the Source engine and if I recall correctly: Source was optimized for ATi, right?

GamerGuyX
02-05-05, 03:23 PM
Well Vampire: Bloodlines is a "TWIMTBP" certified game.

http://www.nvidia.ru/partners/pic/logo-twimtbp.jpg

SH64
02-05-05, 03:24 PM
Yeah .. Vampire : Bloodlines is a TWIMTBP game . funny how the same graphics engine is being supported by both graphics vendors .
now just pray that Quake IV dosent get a GITG logo on it ..

Rakeesh
02-05-05, 03:46 PM
Neither game is anything to be proud to have your logo on if you are a graphics card vendor, they both are just loaded with graphics glitches.

nutcrackr
02-05-05, 07:26 PM
Vampire is something to be embarassed by, even valve should be horribly ashamed they gave their engine to such a pathetic group of coders. Performance is way down, glitches everywhere. At least they have some good gameplay ideas.

ST:DS9
02-06-05, 04:13 AM
Actually, source was optimized for the Nvidia FX series, since the FX series did not have DX 9.0 capabilities. The source engine was designed to the exact specs of DX9.0, and only ATI had a true DX9 card up until Nvidas Geforce 6 series cards came out. Valve spent more time optimizing Source for the FX series then they did with any other card, from what I understand it took 5x longer then anyother card. FX series originally had dismall results with Source, so they created a hybrid DX9.0/8.0 path for the FX series of cards.

ATI never paid money to Valve to make the game better for ATI, rather ATI paid alot of money to Valve for the bundle deal after they realized that the ATIs 9700/9800s cards were best for the game because those cards were the only fully featured DX9.0 cards on the market, where as Nvidia did not have any. Valve never intended to be card specific, it only happened that way at the time because Nvidia screwed up with the FX series not being a true DX9.0 card.

Edge
02-06-05, 04:38 AM
Umm, they abandoned the FX series code path very early in development, and there's no indication of how much time they actually took to "optimise" it (in fact, I believe people who looked at the leaked code found very, very few changes made for FX cards, which isn't surprising since all they would have to do is add a single line to any shader effects they wanted to have running in a lower precision mode). Also, adding lower precision/higher precision hints is part of the DX9 standard, not simply "FX series only", so had they gone through with actually making a mixed precision mode for the game any future cards that supported lower precision modes (such as the 6x00 series) would've benefited from it as well. Obviously, this doesn't matter much now since it's clear Valve never had any intention of actually pulling through with it, like many other things they've done it was pretty much just a marketing gimmick ("ATI" levels, anyone?).