PDA

View Full Version : Only DX7 water with a Geforce 3? Also Spraypaint resolution question.

Edge
02-05-05, 06:46 PM
Hey guys. Quick question: why is it that when I play the game with my Geforce 3, I only get simple water effects even though I'm running in DX8 mode? I recently had to switch to my GF3 from my GF4, and the water effects looked find on my GF4, which is why I'm so confused since as far as features go the GF3 and GF4 are exactly the same. So why would I not get the pixel shaded water effects on a GF3 card? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and another question: is there any way to make it so that spraypaints aren't reduced in resolution with the rest of the textures when you put texture quality on anything less than medium? It seems that rather than having a seperate set of textures for each quality level, it just takes one set of textures and cuts them down when you set the quality to medium or low, and it does the same thing to spraypaints. Is there any way to keep the spraypaints at full quality while the rest of the textures are at whatever quality level is selected from the menu? It can be really hard to read some of those sprays when they're only 1/4th their regular resolution.

superklye
02-06-05, 12:43 AM
I thought the GF3 line only supported DX7?

PikachuMan
02-06-05, 01:59 PM

Nope, it is directx 8, I recall it boasted of being one of the only cards to have pixel shaded water in Morrowind.

Edge
02-06-05, 03:14 PM

Heh, you weren't around during the GF3 launch days, were you ;)

Not only is it DX8 compatable, but it was the FIRST DX8 compatable card commercially released. The GF4's arcitecture was pretty much exactly the same as the GF3, just with an extra vertex shader and a few extra optimisations (neither of which added any new features, they're both PS1.1 cards).

But as I said, I get other shader effects in the game with my GF3 card and it lists my card as being DX8-class in the video options menu, which is why it's so strange that the water isn't using pixel shaders. I can't think of any reason this would be the case, it would be like an effect working on a 6800gt but not on a 6800nu.

superklye
02-06-05, 03:31 PM
Heh, no I wasn't into computers then...my bad. :(

The only thing I can think of...does it support DX8.1? Are the shaders in question only in 8.1 and above?

EciDemon
02-06-05, 04:06 PM
Geforce 3 is DX8 I belive. Gf4 is Dx8.1 (or equalient Ati hardware)
But it's very odd that it isnt working. Too bad I dont still have my old trusty GF3 or Id try my self.

EDIT:
Why don't you try with this mod:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Water_Reflections_Mod;37031

Keep us updated ;)

Edge
02-06-05, 07:05 PM
Hmm, no dice. I've trying both the reflection patch, and forcing mat_dxlevel 80 and 81 in the console, neither have any effect on the water. From what I can tell, the GF3 is only a DX8.0/PS1.1 compatable card, while the GF4 is DX8.1/PS1.3 compatable. Normally I'd just assume that the water is a DX8.1 effect, but in gamespot's comparision article (http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-x-1240-x-x-x&body_pagenum=6), they SHOW the water running in DX8.0 mode, and it looks perfectly fine while my water looks like the DX7 water. There was a thead about the GF3 only using DX7 water effects on the Steam forum, but it ended up being little more than a 10-page example of how utterly idiotic users on the Steam forum are. I've even trying using 3danalyze to force my card to be registered as a GF4ti, but I get the same result. Strange...this is one of the few videocard related mysteries I haven't been able to solve.

Sazar
02-06-05, 07:13 PM
Geforce 3 is DX8 I belive. Gf4 is Dx8.1 (or equalient Ati hardware)
But it's very odd that it isnt working. Too bad I dont still have my old trusty GF3 or Id try my self.

EDIT:
Why don't you try with this mod:
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Water_Reflections_Mod;37031

Keep us updated ;)

gf3/4 are both dx 8.0...

ati radeon 8500 was first to support dx 8.1 (basically dx 8 == upto ps 1.3 support, dx 8.1 has ps 1.4)

IIRC

Daneel Olivaw
02-06-05, 07:19 PM
gf3/4 are both dx 8.0...

ati radeon 8500 was first to support dx 8.1 (basically dx 8 == upto ps 1.3 support, dx 8.1 has ps 1.4)

IIRC
I'm pretty sure GF3 is DX8.0 and GF4 is DX8.1...

saturnotaku
02-06-05, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty sure GF3 is DX8.0 and GF4 is DX8.1...

Nope, Sazar is right. DX 8.1 included support for PS 1.4, which was only first supported in the GeForce FX.

EciDemon
02-06-05, 07:59 PM
Thanx for the info guys, I was a little unsure bout the gf4 cards being 8.1 or not. I did however know they have Ps 1.3
I never had a gf4 card, i went from my Gf3 to Fx