PDA

View Full Version : S/PDIF 6.1 Speakers To Receiver Analog/Digital

saweetnesstrev
02-06-05, 03:04 AM
How do i connect my Audigy 2 card to my receiver so i can get some good 6.1 speakers playing games, music from my computer?? ANy help will be appreicate..

Dazz
02-06-05, 03:37 AM
You need to buy an extension bracket from Creative.com with cables etc to use Optical or S/PSIF.

saweetnesstrev
02-06-05, 05:07 AM
You need to buy an extension bracket from Creative.com with cables etc to use Optical or S/PSIF.

Can i get them from radioshack?

Smokey
02-06-05, 07:03 AM
I was under the impressio that to get multichannel gaming from an Audigy card, you would need to be using analog output, digital only carries a 2 channel signal unless ofcourse it has been digitally encoded by means of soundstorm for eg. ?

saweetnesstrev
02-06-05, 07:08 AM
What do i need to buy at radioshack and how many to get analog and digital to my receiver?

Rakeesh
02-06-05, 10:57 AM
I was under the impressio that to get multichannel gaming from an Audigy card, you would need to be using analog output, digital only carries a 2 channel signal unless ofcourse it has been digitally encoded by means of soundstorm for eg. ?

This is correct, there are only three different soundcards that support surround sound in games through spdif. The best card (and IMO this is the best card money can buy period) is the nvidia SoundStorm, the realtek ALC880D, or one made by c-media, I am not sure of the model number. All three of these only come integrated into select motherboards. (FWIW my motherboard includes the realtek alc880d)

If you just want PCM audio through the digital port and don't mind the two channel restriction on creative cards (read: you can't get surround sound at all,) you can go to radio shack and buy a 1/8" miniplug male to RCA female adapter for like $2, and then that can connect to your sound systems coaxial input via an ordinary composite video cable (you could use an audio cable, but you'll probably get more drops that way as they are of lesser quality.) That miniplug adapter will plug into the port labeled either "digital" or "spdif" on your audigy 2 card.

If your sound system doesn't support coaxial audio (coaxial is better than optical for a few reasons btw) then you'll need to go find a coaxial to optical converter. I think they cost anywhere from $20-$70, and you can find them at different electronics stores. If you are the do it yourself type you can build them rather easily for about $5 worth of parts, and the schematics are available via a google search. Remember before you do this though that creative sound cards DO NOT support digital surround sound, and theres no way you can ever change that.

CaptNKILL
02-06-05, 12:32 PM
This is correct, there are only three different soundcards that support surround sound in games through spdif. The best card (and IMO this is the best card money can buy period) is the nvidia SoundStorm, the realtek ALC880D, or one made by c-media, I am not sure of the model number. All three of these only come integrated into select motherboards. (FWIW my motherboard includes the realtek alc880d)

If you just want PCM audio through the digital port and don't mind the two channel restriction on creative cards (read: you can't get surround sound at all,) you can go to radio shack and buy a 1/8" miniplug male to RCA female adapter for like $2, and then that can connect to your sound systems coaxial input via an ordinary composite video cable (you could use an audio cable, but you'll probably get more drops that way as they are of lesser quality.) That miniplug adapter will plug into the port labeled either "digital" or "spdif" on your audigy 2 card.

If your sound system doesn't support coaxial audio (coaxial is better than optical for a few reasons btw) then you'll need to go find a coaxial to optical converter. I think they cost anywhere from $20-$70, and you can find them at different electronics stores. If you are the do it yourself type you can build them rather easily for about $5 worth of parts, and the schematics are available via a google search. Remember before you do this though that creative sound cards DO NOT support digital surround sound, and theres no way you can ever change that.
One thing to add, if you connect digitally you can get surround from DVDs (and maybe some other sources) that are encoded with Dolby 5.1. Everything that isnt encoded will just be 2 channel though because (as alpha said) sound blasters dont have hardware surround encoding of any kind.