PDA

View Full Version : strange noise coming from the motherboard K8NS

egyteam
02-06-05, 12:53 PM
I have noticed a strange noise coming from my case espically noticable in 3dmark 2001/2003 any ideas what it could be?

GA-K8NS with radeon 8500

Cheers in advance

myshkinbob
02-07-05, 07:45 PM
I've got this board as well, and i've noticed strange noises too, it's like a squeal that changes pitch depending on what's on the screen, is that what you're getting? i thought it might be my psu dying but perhaps it's the caps on the board.

egyteam
02-07-05, 08:35 PM
it's like a squeal that changes pitch depending on what's on the screen, is that what you're getting?

Yes this is what I am getting

so it is normal ??

what is the BIOS version you are using and you use Qflash or @bios ??

I have also a problem in the bios when I enter the bios on Frequency Voltage category then go to integrated peripherals and then IDE fonction setup the page of the bios hangs and have to reset manually can you try to see if this happen to you it happen to me some times

THANK YOU your are the only one I found on the net who has K8NS :)

Clay
02-07-05, 08:38 PM
I have the GA-K8NS Ultra-939 and I don't notice any noises that you describe but I'd be happy to try a few things out if you have anything you'd like me to do in order to reproduce it.

Do you suspect your NB fan?

egyteam
02-07-05, 08:44 PM
it is very noticeable in 3dmark benches

egyteam
02-07-05, 10:03 PM
enabling CLOCK SPREAD SPECTRUM SOLVE THE PROBLEM of noises

what is the clcok spread scpectrum ?

Marcos
02-07-05, 10:50 PM
it should say in the manual

crainger
02-08-05, 01:43 AM
Squealing 6800s and now squealing motherboards??
Next there will be quys whacking off over their video cards.... Oh no, were doomed

jAkUp
02-08-05, 01:46 AM
Clock spread spectrum improves the stability of your CPU, by buffering the voltage to your processor. Not good for overclocking though.

myshkinbob
02-08-05, 06:50 AM
I think it is to do with the power regulation for the cpu, as the pitch changes depending on how much strain is on the cpu. I'm using the latest F10 bios by the way.

I do get that bios crash if i try to alter the IDE function after editing other things, but it won't crash if i go that menu first of all then other ones afterward.

I'm not sure it's normal per-se, the squeal i mean, because none of my other boards have ever made this noise, but it's not impacting stability so i'm not too worried. It's just something i noticed when i didn't have any music on, hehe.

egyteam
02-08-05, 02:09 PM
I get that noise again

I get a reply from another forum

he said : Your board is possesed mate If its voices you hear...

Unfortunatly if its weird noises from your mobo like whining high pitched sounds coming when you put the comp through hard use like playing game benching etc, it's usually a sign of a mobo starting to fail.

Its most likely a capacitor that either is faulty or is starting to fail, you should try and RMA this asap.

So what do you think myshkinbob is is a motherboard bug or it is a problem with CAPS?

myshkinbob
02-08-05, 03:13 PM
i don't know a great deal about electronics, but i'm fairly sure it's the cpu power regulation components on the motherboard reacting to the changes in power drawn by the cpu. It's probably is one of the capacitors next to the toroid coils close to the cpu. As far as i know, their job is to keep the power fed to the cpu smooth as the cpu load changes, so they're the most likely component to cause the noise in response to cpu activity.

I'm not so sure it requires an RMA, it probably is from gigabyte being cheap on their components tho. It worried me a bit at first too, but i've had my K8NS board for 6 months now, and when it gets hot it does the changing pitch thing all the time, but the board has stayed perfectly stable. It hasn't even affected how well i can overclock, i can push my cpu to 2.5ghz at 1.65v and although that makes it squeal more, it hasn't showed any instability or signs of dying. One thing to remember is even your camera flash has a squeal when the capacitors are charging up, it's just the ones in your pc charge and discharge a lot faster, it's not neccessarily a sign of imminent failure.

Are you having any problems with stability? Unless you're really annoyed by the noise itself, i don't think you need to worry about it. I only really noticed it because i run my pc pretty much silent and it stood out.

Daneel Olivaw
02-08-05, 03:14 PM
My P4P800 did that too, it seems to vary in pitch depending on the throughput of the Northbridge, and since I changed ram, it's less obvious (though still there). It also gets worse the higher I put my FSB, though again, since I have the OCZ (instead of the Nanya) the noise is hardly audible, whereas before it would be incredibly annoying.

egyteam
02-08-05, 06:08 PM
I don't get any stability problem buts the noise is very annoying

please send mail to gigabyte support ask them about that issue may be a bios can

help

I have about 4 boards and GA-K8NS the only one that make annoying noise

egyteam
02-09-05, 10:06 AM
The last I get if I overclock my cpu from 2.0 to 2.2 the noise disappear

so what do you think ?

If I load optimized default the sound come back

Daneel Olivaw
02-09-05, 07:56 PM
I'd say stay oc'ed. seems win-win.