PDA

View Full Version : roadrunner quietly upgrades its customers

Pages : [1] 2

emailthatguy
02-06-05, 06:50 PM
i found out this week that roadrunner upgraded all of its standard connections from 3mb to 5mb downstream and all their premium customers from 6mb to 8mb downstream!!!!

im a premium customer myself and only looked into this when i started seeing download speeds like this during this past week.....

http://cerebrix.spymac.net/speeeed.jpg

so if youve been considering going w/ cable, i reccomend you do so now. this is the second free speed upgrade roadrunner has given its customers in the last 2 years ive been with them and for the most part ive been pretty happy w/ them.

einstein_314
02-06-05, 06:52 PM
That's some awesome speed!! :eek: I wish I had that kind of speed. I'm stuck with ADSL. Oh well, I can live with it.

emailthatguy
02-06-05, 07:03 PM
grats on post 300 einstein

Bad_Boy
02-06-05, 08:44 PM
not just roadrunner...
all of timewarner, meaning earthlink too :p

Dear valued Time Warner Cable customer,

We recently increased the download speed of Time Warner Cable High Speed Internet service in your area from 3Mbps to 5Mbps! There is absolutely no additional charge for this extra speed- it's just one more way we're working hard to earn your business.

:D

emailthatguy
02-06-05, 08:52 PM
yeah looks like cable companies are trying to establish their business before the phone companies start talking about rolling out hdsl

Sazar
02-06-05, 08:56 PM
they've more than doubled my speed too :)

gone from 2.6 Mb/s to almost 6 Mb/s

Son Goku
02-06-05, 09:02 PM
That pic looks better then what I got when I lived in the dorms and had the uni's T3 connection. Then I got about 650 KB/sec at night... I do wonder if they're in part doing it in responce to 6 MB/sec dl ADSL packages being offered by some ISPs (at cost, obviously...)

Still I don't think Comcast is doing this (I've got a friend with Comcast cable modem here in town, he'd know). Does look like your companies heading towards what Optumum Online has provided for years however...

1337_Like_ThaT
02-06-05, 10:04 PM
yeah looks like cable companies are trying to establish their business before the phone companies start talking about rolling out hdsl

What are the rates that RoadRunner Internet charge their standard and Permium customers???

emailthatguy
02-06-05, 10:05 PM
yeah to be honest i really think they need to give a bit more of a speed upgrade than they are with the difference between regular and premium now being what it is. especially since we pay twice as much as the regular customers.

emailthatguy
02-06-05, 10:11 PM
http://www.accesstimewarner.com/cable/digitalcable/digipic/dsp_digipic.cfm?menu=Products&Services

thats what it is down here in southern california. they dont show premium but i think it bundles in at around 70 bucks a month by itself. we have them for phone, cable, and internet and i dont have a bill handy or id give you a better amount. damnit i hate it when i clean the house, i cant ever find a damn thing after i do lol

1337_Like_ThaT
02-06-05, 10:32 PM
Wow, the 1000 package seems like a good bet. $80 a month for both services?? :0 seems to hard to believe. Well thanks for the info Ema. I'll look more into it and if you ever have a bill handy, let me know :)

superklye
02-06-05, 10:40 PM
I wish mine got upgraded. :(

Son Goku
02-06-05, 11:50 PM
Actually, with pricing, the thing to look at is both the cost with and without cable TV... Reason being, many cable cos charge more for the cable modem, if one isn't a cable TV subscriber...

superklye
02-07-05, 12:36 AM
There's like a $5 or $10 discount on the total cable TV + Modem bill if you have both. It's not that great.

stncttr908
02-07-05, 01:00 AM
Now I need OOL to double my speed. :thumbsup:

bkswaney
02-07-05, 01:02 AM
WOW... Killer speeds :)

I wish Charter would up ours.
I bet they do before long.
After all they have to stay up
with everyone else or loose
there customers. "lol"

I have a 3 meg line bet my downloads
are closer to 4 meg.
After running speeds test and checking around
I have the highest speeds of any internet service
in south carolina. :D
Avg is 2 megs in SC.

emailthatguy
02-07-05, 01:18 AM
in a year or so hdsl people will be laughing at us since theyll have 30-50mb/s

superklye
02-07-05, 01:33 AM
hdsl? high-definition subscriber/tion line?

bkswaney
02-07-05, 02:23 AM
in a year or so hdsl people will be laughing at us since theyll have 30-50mb/s

Cable can carry those speeds to.
But u will not see it anytime soon.
No one needs 30 to 50mbs in a home.
Heck 3 megs is more than I need.
It will be years before that kind of bandwidth is needed.

Dazz
02-07-05, 04:34 AM
8Mbit that is sick, here i am on a 1Mbit connection, Which was 512k, then 750k and now 1Mbit.

RealLifePixelShader
02-07-05, 04:53 AM
Well here in South Africa things suck ass the only telcoms company there is The 50% State owned Telkom of as we call it Telscum or Hellkom

Our ADSL works like this you pay R1500 per month that is $250 per month then you can download 3GB per month if you exceed the 3GB cap then the line get cut off no international trafic they say that it get downgraded to a usesable 56K bull**** every one else says now int traffic.

The at most for you 512k ADSL line you get 25K to max 50K when you download

So spare a thought

sytaylor
02-07-05, 05:49 AM
Who needs that kinda speed anyways, I have a 2MB connection and the odds of it being maxed out at any one time are pretty slim. I'd like to see progress on the upstream side of things...

retsam
02-07-05, 07:17 AM
in a year or so hdsl people will be laughing at us since theyll have 30-50mb/ im already giggling i'm getting fiber by the end of june 15 megabits here i come....

nIghtorius
02-07-05, 07:49 AM
That's some awesome speed!! :eek: I wish I had that kind of speed. I'm stuck with ADSL. Oh well, I can live with it.

I am also stuck with ADSL.. but my transfer rates are also way above 700kB/s.. averaging at 810kB/s.. having wide open ADSL (8000/1024).

LBJM
02-07-05, 03:19 PM
Still I don't think Comcast is doing this (I've got a friend with Comcast cable modem here in town, he'd know). Does look like your companies heading towards what Optumum Online has provided for years however...

comcast has upgraded some places not all places. the standard packages have got from 3 to 4 mbps and the gold has gone to 4 to 6mbps. I'm running 6mbps.

taken from: http://forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?threadID=32689
comcast customers have to log in to read it but i pasted the text below.

As many of you know, Comcast will be raising the upload and download speeds for all Comcast High-Speed Internet customers. Thees upgraded speeds will be given to all customers at no additional costs. The following explains the new speed tiers we will be moving to:

Current New
(down/up) (down/up)
Base service
(Silver Tier): 3Mbps/256kbps 4Mbps/384kbps
$10 add-on
(Gold Tier): 4Mbps/384kbps 6Mbps/768kbps

At this time, the following markets are confirmed to have been upgraded to the new speeds shown above:

AL - Huntsville; Mobile; Tuscaloosa
AR - Little Rock
AZ - Pima
CT - all CT
DC - Washington DC
DE - all DE
FL - West FL; Lake County; Jacksonville; Miami; Naples; Panama City; Tallahassee; Sarasota
GA - Atlanta; Augusta; Dallas; Savannah
IN - Fort Wayne; Indianapolis; Muncie
KS - Olathe
KY - Paducah
MA - Boston
MD - all MD
MI - Ann Arbor; Auburn Hills; Detroit; Flint; Springfield
MO - Independence; Kansas City
MS - Hattiesburg; Meridian
NJ - all NJ
NM - Albuquerque
OR - all OR
PA - Central & Metro (Philadelphia); Pittsburgh
SC - Charleston
TN - East TN; Chattanooga; Knoxville; Nashville
TX - Dallas
VA - all VA
WA - South-West

If you reside in any of the above mentioned areas, you will need to power-cycle your modem in order to obtain these new speeds. To power-cycle your modem, turn off your computer, unplug the power cord to the modem, wait 1 minute, re-connect power cord to the modem and wait for modem to come back online (usually about 1-5 minutes to come back online), then restart the computer. If you do live in one of these areas, have power-cycled your modem and have not received the new speeds, please try periodically power-cycling throughout the day to see if your modem will aquire the new config files.

If your market is not in the above list, your area will be receiving the update at a later time. This is the most up-to-date list at this time and we ask that you please not contact Comcast to inquire when your city will receive the upgrade as our customer service representatives will have no additional information about schedules for this upgrade for cities not in the list above. Contacting our support lines to inquire about dates the new speeds will be launched in your area may increase the time other customers have to wait to receive assistance and our customer service representatives will not have any additional information beyond what is posted in this thread.

All Comcast markets are expected to be updated to these speeds by March 31, 2005.

There have been a few other threads in the Comcast forums and other forums that are showing detailed lists of the markets that are receiving these updates. For the most part these lists are correct but a small number of marketson these lists have changed at the last minute due to technical issues. We will be updating this thread with the most up-to-date information that we have available so please check back frequently if your area has not received the upgrade yet.

Also, since the speed upgrade is a popular topic in the forums, we will keep this thread locked and we will update it only when new information becomes available to us. This way it will be easy to provide the updates to you so they will not get lost in a long thread of posts. If you have any questions or comments regarding these speed upgrades or if you live in one of the areas mentioned above but have are not getting the new speeds, please post a reply in this thread or start a new topic in this forum and we will do our best to provide an answer to your questions.

Thanks,

Jason

Message was edited by: Jason1 - posted initial list (Jan 26)

Message was edited by: Jason1 - updated list & re-ordered list (Jan 26)

Message was edited by: Jason1 - Indianapolis, IN; Springfield, IN; and Pittsburgh, PA are on hold and new speeds have not been deployed (Jan 28, 5:00pm)

Message was edited by: Jason1 - Pittsburgh, PA now scheduled to receive speed upgrade Jan 31

Message was edited by: Jason1

Message was edited by: Jason1 - Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Indianapolis upgraded - also, reorganized list for easier viewing.

Message was edited by: Jason1 - Miami, FL added Jan 31st

Message was edited by: Jason1 - edited Atlanta, GA from the list - apologies for the misinformation. Atlanta should be switched on soon.

Message was edited by: Jason1 - now confirmed for WA (South-West), all OR, and all VA (Feb 1)

Message was edited by: Jason1 - Richmond, VA not upgraded yet

Message was edited by: Jason1 - all of NJ went live on 1/26/05 - combined the North/South NJ to all NJ to reduce confusion (Feb 3)

Message was edited by: Jason1 - Atlanta, GA and Richmond, VA added (Feb 7)