PDA

View Full Version : NV5 Fan Rotation Direction

Clay
02-06-05, 11:48 PM
I know we've had a number of threads on the Arctic Cooling NV5 but I've not seen any posts that answer this. My NV5 fan seems to be spinning in what I perceive to be the wrong direction (see the directional arrow overlay in image below, this is the direction my fan spins). I feel very little air coming out the the exhaust.

http://img212.exs.cx/img212/6739/nv51qq.jpg

I've also been playing around with the thermal compound that AC provides (as seen in pic above). I've also used AS5 on the core and Ceramique on the memory. I've tried both a very thin layer of AS5 on the GPU and also tried some thicker layers. The thicker layer yields the most decent results but nothing I do with this NV5 matches how well my stock HSF temps were at both idle and load. I've sanded down the memory areas of the NV5 and then lapped them as well as the GPU contact area. I'm now writing this off as a bad unit. I could tell initially that the memory areas were very warped (you can tell in pic above).

Anyway, just thought I'd through this out there for anyone with an NV5 as I am still curious as to what the fan rotation direction should be.

einstein_314
02-07-05, 12:45 AM
Hmm, are you sure that's the direction that it's spinning? I think mines going the other way so that the fins "cup" the air and push it. That's the way I'd think it should go. I also get very little exhaust out the back when it's idleing. I find that when I'm gaming or right when I start up the computer, you can really feel it coming out. Also, I had terrible temps when I first put it on but I rearranged my HD's so that the air flow from my front fans goes straight to the silencer. That seemed to fix it. I now get pretty much the same temps I had stock but way quieter.

The other thing I noticed when I got my NV5 was that my CPU and case temps dropped 5-7 C. That's what impressed me the most.

bkswaney
02-07-05, 12:45 AM
It's not moving wrong. "lol"

Use the "Search" feature of the board.
There are other threads on this subject.
It's already been talked about many time. :)

jAkUp
02-07-05, 01:32 AM
That is actually the wrong direction I think. Are you sure its not plugged in backwards? But to double check, get a small piece of paper, and see if it sticks to the exhaust. If it sticks, its blowing the wrong direction.

There was actually alot of people who clamed it was spinning backwards as well. You may have a defective unit.

Darkoz
02-07-05, 02:20 AM
The Silencer's fan is designed to spin in an anti-clockwise direction which 'pushes' the air rather than 'scoops' it out which is one of the ways they use to reduce the noise, so yes it is spinning the correct way.

You actually won't feel very much air exhausting out the back of your case, firstly because of the fairly low RPM of the fan and secondly because of the distance the fan itself is located from the rear of the case.

By the way, from the imprint of the thermal paste left on your heatsink, it looks as though there isn't full contact between the heatsink and your card's GPU.

Clay
02-07-05, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys (well, all but one of you at least...seems like you didn't even read my post).

Looks like it's a still a toss-up as to whether or not this fan is spinning in the correct direction. I've done the paper test and it doesn't seem to be pulled or pushed at all. I realize that it is a low RPM fan but there still should be some noticeable air movement.

@Darkoz: Yes, I'm well aware of the contact being poor
I've sanded down the memory areas of the NV5 and then lapped them as well as the GPU contact area. I could tell initially that the memory areas were very warped (you can tell in pic above). That pic above is an early pic though (before any sanding).

I also posted about this over at silentpcreview.com (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19081) but only had one response.

GuOD
02-07-05, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys (well, all but one of you at least...seems like you didn't even read my post).

Looks like it's a still a toss-up as to whether or not this fan is spinning in the correct direction. I've done the paper test and it doesn't seem to be pulled or pushed at all. I realize that it is a low RPM fan but there still should be some noticeable air movement.

@Darkoz: Yes, I'm well aware of the contact being poor
That pic above is an early pic though (before any sanding).

I also posted about this over at silentpcreview.com (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19081) but only had one response.

Do you feel a very strong blow coming out below the fan? I think 90% of the air just goes directly down.

Clay
02-07-05, 09:15 AM
Do you feel a very strong blow coming out below the fan? I think 90% of the air just goes directly down.
No, I do not. If I hold a piece of paper close to the fan opening it is pulled very slightly into the fan. My understanding is that the fan wouldn't push any air directly down due to the shape and orientation of the fan blades. The whole point of this design is to force air across the heat sink and out the exhaust area.

JRd1st
02-07-05, 09:25 AM
I know we've had a number of threads on the Arctic Cooling NV5 but I've not seen any posts that answer this. My NV5 fan seems to be spinning in what I perceive to be the wrong direction (see the directional arrow overlay in image below, this is the direction my fan spins). I feel very little air coming out the the exhaust.

http://img212.exs.cx/img212/6739/nv51qq.jpg

I've also been playing around with the thermal compound that AC provides (as seen in pic above). I've also used AS5 on the core and Ceramique on the memory. I've tried both a very thin layer of AS5 on the GPU and also tried some thicker layers. The thicker layer yields the most decent results but nothing I do with this NV5 matches how well my stock HSF temps were at both idle and load. I've sanded down the memory areas of the NV5 and then lapped them as well as the GPU contact area. I'm now writing this off as a bad unit. I could tell initially that the memory areas were very warped (you can tell in pic above).

Anyway, just thought I'd through this out there for anyone with an NV5 as I am still curious as to what the fan rotation direction should be.

That's the way it's supposed to spin. I thought the same thing, but I found somewhere on the AC site where it explaines this.

Clay
02-07-05, 09:47 AM
That's the way it's supposed to spin. I thought the same thing, but I found somewhere on the AC site where it explaines this.
Thanks for the info. I'll dig around the AC site more.
UPDATE: I found this http://arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40&data=6&disc=

GuOD
02-07-05, 05:06 PM
No, I do not. If I hold a piece of paper close to the fan opening it is pulled very slightly into the fan. My understanding is that the fan wouldn't push any air directly down due to the shape and orientation of the fan blades. The whole point of this design is to force air across the heat sink and out the exhaust area.

Now you have me confused. My fan does blow air out of the exhaust (blows paper away from computer); however, there is still tons of air being blown down to the bottom of my case on the inside by the fan, majority of the air infact.

Clay
02-07-05, 05:11 PM
Now you have me confused. My fan does blow air out of the exhaust (blows paper away from computer); however, there is still tons of air being blown down to the bottom of my case on the inside by the fan, majority of the air infact.Well, hopefully the answer to this confusion is that the unit I have is defective in some way. My fan seems to spin about as fast I one would expect but it doesn't blow enough air (even under load) out the exhaust to move paper nor is there any air being blown down the case from the fan opening area itself.

GuOD
02-07-05, 05:15 PM
Well, hopefully the answer to this confusion is that the unit I have is defective in some way. My fan seems to spin about as fast I one would expect but it doesn't blow enough air (even under load) out the exhaust to move paper nor is there any air being blown down the case from the fan opening area itself.

Sorry I made a mistake. There is suction on the inside... i have only felt it with my hand before and assumed it was air going down, but it's sucking very slightly when set to 100%. The back can't blow paper.. but it can blow a little piece of kleenex.

Clay
02-07-05, 05:16 PM
Sorry I made a mistake. There is suction on the inside... i have only felt it with my hand before and assumed it was air going down, but it's sucking very slightly when set to 100%. The back can't blow paper.. but it can blow a little piece of kleenex.Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. Although, now it sounds more like my fan must be normal. Hmm. When you say "set to 100$" how do you mean exactly?

GuOD
02-07-05, 06:26 PM
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. Although, now it sounds more like my fan must be normal. Hmm. When you say "set to 100$" how do you mean exactly?

Search google for "Expertool"

It's by Gainward and it allows you to control fan speed between 50 and 100%

Clay
02-07-05, 06:34 PM
Oh yeah, I'm familiar with it...forgot all about it though. :)