PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Cell Processor Unveiled!

Pages : [1] 2

overheat
02-07-05, 01:12 PM
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7606/Cell-Processor-Unveiled/

Mr. Hunt
02-07-05, 01:32 PM
Why the hell is teamxbox doing this story? :\

GamerGuyX
02-07-05, 02:08 PM
Why the hell is teamxbox doing this story? :\

They always write about stuff thats not related to the Xbox...

|MaguS|
02-07-05, 02:51 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/07/news_6118072.html

Among being FULLY programmable the CPU itself has some nice tech specs...

The first version of the chip will run at speeds faster than 4GHz. Engineers were vague on how much faster, but reports from design partners say 4.6GHz is likely. By comparison, the fastest current Pentium PC processor tops out at 3.8GHz.

Cell can process 256 billion calculations per second (256 gigaflops), falling a wee bit short of marketing hyperbole calling it a "supercomputer on a chip." The slowest machine on the current list of the Top 500 supercomputers can do 851 gigaflops.

The chip will have 2.5MB of on-chip memory and can shuttle data to and from off-chip memory at speeds up to 100 gigabytes per second, using XDR and FlexIO interface technology licensed from Rambus. "One of the key messages you hear from the architects of next-generation chips is that their performance is being limited by off-chip bandwidth," said Rich Warmke, Rambus, product marketing manager. "We've really licked that with Cell. 100GB per second is really unprecedented in the industry."

The chip will have 234 million transistors, measure 221mm square and be produced using advanced 90-nanometer chipmaking processes.

jAkUp
02-07-05, 03:08 PM
:drooling:

i think this is the first time i am actually gonna buy a console

killahsin
02-07-05, 03:18 PM
While i'm optimistic in regards to cell tech. I am still slightly skeptical about their raw figures. Maybe I've been brainwashed by the way the industries have worked pushing technology for the past 15 years.

I guess I will just have to wait and see. When I start to see power pc's and motherboards being announced supporting the chip, than perhaps I'll be impressed. Right now I'm just looking at it as 'another emotion engine'.

overheat
02-07-05, 05:21 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/585/585865p1.html

oldsk00l
02-07-05, 05:25 PM
this ain't peanuts man, it's PS2 all over again...behemoth-of-processing power.

However I'm sure off-the-shelf parts are going to kick its ass again by the time it comes out. No biggie, nice look into the near future though. Now we know what the market is going to be like pretty soon....w00t!

Bad_Boy
02-07-05, 05:38 PM
ps3 > xbox2
yes im biased, i love sony. :D

Vagrant Zero
02-07-05, 05:44 PM
Cell plus NV50x = teh win.

MUYA
02-07-05, 06:57 PM
The specs lead us to belive that Cell is or maybe indeed the fastest architecture out there but, the catch is, is it easy to code for (as Nutty points out). I do hope so on paper it sounds a beast! PS3...I am saving up for one...just in case! :)

jAkUp
02-07-05, 07:00 PM
What kinda CPU/Video is xbox gonna have again?

GamerGuyX
02-07-05, 07:02 PM
What kinda CPU/Video is xbox gonna have again?

All that I know is that ATI is making it. Oh and they are making the Nintendo Revolution one also.

superklye
02-07-05, 07:03 PM
Cell plus NV50x = teh win.
QFT

Nutty
02-07-05, 07:25 PM
Whats QFT mean?

Xbox 360 :rolleyes: is a 3 core power pc type architecture with some kind of R5xx type gpu. It also has some clever integration between gpu and 2nd level cpu cache for some fast stuff. Apparently each core has HT like capability.. Apparently the cores are custom made and contain some gaming specific functionality, i.e. native vector maths functions to help with 3dmath. Thats all I know.

As for the cell, well I haven't really seen any real info apart from hype, and tbh its starting to sound like more of a bitch to code for than the ps2. I hope it isn't tho. I really think its getting hyped way beyond its real capabilities tho. If the PS3 already has an NV5X gpu in it, I'm wondering what real use the cell processors are going to be, if they're not designed for running standard game code. Animation processing is one thing I can think of.. not sure about much else..

P.S. this is all just stuff I've heard on the grapevine, I dont have any real docs for either console.. (unfortunately) :)

GamerGuyX
02-07-05, 07:27 PM
Whats QFT mean?

Quite ****ing True

WeReWoLf
02-07-05, 07:51 PM
Quoted for Truth.

Acid Rain
02-07-05, 08:06 PM
Whats QFT mean?
:)
Quit Flirting, Tard!!!

PS3 will be great only if they build a decent controller.

I mean, I don't care how sweet an FPS looks if I can't pin a bead on my target.

killahsin
02-07-05, 08:07 PM
Whats QFT mean?
If the PS3 already has an NV5X gpu in it, I'm wondering what real use the cell processors are going to be, if they're not designed for running standard game code. Animation processing is one thing I can think of.. not sure about much else..

P.S. this is all just stuff I've heard on the grapevine, I dont have any real docs for either console.. (unfortunately) :)

Physics, IK/rigging on physics. Shader systems that arent using hlsl code. Some of those white lab coat guys still love to spend 100 hours in assembly making a models eyes sparkle (wierdos). The bandwith for cache/swapping is also another good thing. Also having high poly/high shader/high physics/high ai games not be so much bandwith and cpu bound will be nice for a change. That is of course if the chip performs like it says it does. Having one ppu run physics for instance while another runs AI(apu), and so forth. Thats the true benefit for cell. The question is: Is this all reality? Or more hype?

GamerGuyX
02-07-05, 08:08 PM
Quoted for Truth.

Not for me. :D

MUYA
02-07-05, 08:18 PM
That is of course if the chip performs like it says it does. Having one ppu run physics for instance while another runs AI(apu), and so forth. Thats the true benefit for cell. The question is: Is this all reality? Or more hype?
Scheduling all those events to work seamlessly might be a task indeed? Not an expert but hey I am just shooting in the dark here from a non expert view.

Subtestube
02-07-05, 08:35 PM
It'll require quite a different design philosophy. I'd imagine they'll have some kind of very direct system call to start threads and a fair few instructions specifically designed to sync and coordinate them. For example, you might be able to say.

Task: AI THINK...
Task: RENDER
Task: PHYSICAL SIM.

And then let the cell do the rest. It might require lower level control though, it's just hard to say. That's my guess though, that they'll have a highly OO design philosophy, with one kind of Object that can execute relatively independant of the others. This thing's going to need a pretty damn fast and well organised memory subsystem though, as many of the different 'threads' will need the same data (imagine, say, we have 3 'actual' AI agents, a phyiscal subsystem, and something else to keep track of rendering. Well, all the tasks will need access to the 'world').

In any case, interesting stuff.

Bubba
02-07-05, 08:38 PM
you guys did see this (sorta old now) subjective analysis of the patent right?

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cells/Cell0.html

killahsin
02-07-05, 09:57 PM
It would be a difficult task indeed. Yet, it's no different than what some developers and nvidia people have been referencing as what they see to come in the future. Physics processor units on the gfx card and so forth. Cell just allows the coder to design his game with segmented OO(object orientated) system for each seperate main system i.e. AI physics ik animation and so forth. Or they can just fragment the processing in the seti form. It's all really up to the intelligence and wits of the developer. This is of course all hypothetical since we don't know if any of what cell says it does, does in fact work as stated.

Excuse the jumbled thoughts no sleep is a demon. So in essence yes it will be hard. How hard is a question of the documentation and tools and community and educational tools available at the time of release, and course of its life. But speaking hypothetically based on reading about what cell is and is supposed to do, its all very possible, plausible and probable.

XP_GUN
02-07-05, 10:01 PM
Wow thats really fast but what do we know about what it can do, I mean how much faster is it to a AMD or Intel? :eek: