PDA

View Full Version : which game is this ...Hl2 or UTk4 ?

Pages : [1] 2

Nv40
02-07-05, 05:48 PM
Take a look... someone took the time to copy/paste VAlve work to
UnrealT2k4 . THe UT2k4 Mod community is very fast indeed. grab them before some angry lawyer shut down the project.. some even claim they looks better there :)

here..
http://www.pcgamemods.com/10087/s

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=10155&stc=1

superklye
02-07-05, 06:03 PM
Holy crap...that looks amazing!

AthlonXP1800
02-07-05, 06:04 PM
I am amazing to see HL2 models in Unreal 2.5 engine, the quality are better than it did in Source engine. Now I am have some doubt whether or not Valve had ripped (stole) some of Unreal 2 source code and hid in Source engine to saved 1 year worth of work to give Gabe the impression of their hard work so that Gabe know nothing of it. :)

Nv40
02-07-05, 07:58 PM
I am amazing to see HL2 models in Unreal 2.5 engine, the quality are better than it did in Source engine. Now I am have some doubt whether or not Valve had ripped (stole) some of Unreal 2 source code and hid in Source engine to saved 1 year worth of work to give Gabe the impression of their hard work so that Gabe know nothing of it. :)

its not that SOurce ripped anything from Unreal2 engine.. it just that both engines use similar techniques in their renderers .

killahsin
02-07-05, 07:58 PM
lol, have you guys even seen these in game? Sure the actual model looks the same, but the rigging is all screwed up. The muscular and facial systems arent quit on par. Nor is the materials system.

holmes
02-07-05, 08:59 PM
hehe... I thought HL2 had an old school look to its graphics. They look exactly the same!
;)

brady
02-07-05, 09:05 PM
hmmm i dont see what all the hoopla is about. imo those screenies look worse than the half life 2 game im playing. anyone else agree? it looks like bump mapping, some shader stuff, ect... is missing. not impressed.

MustangSVT
02-07-05, 09:13 PM
So this is HL2 in the UT2004 engine, right? Looks interesting, I'll give it a try. But I don't expect it to look better than HL2. HL2's engine has a unique look to it. You can't really beat it.

Ninjaman09
02-07-05, 09:40 PM
Yeah those shots don't look better than HL2 to me. The textures are lower res and there's no normal mapping so in motion they wouldn't look nearly as good. I don't play Unreal engine games anymore since they crash in SP2 and I don't know how to fix it.

aAv7
02-07-05, 09:52 PM
These don't look nearly as good as HL2, the source engine is amazing. But I will say these look great for a dx8.1 engine. I still play ut2k4, this gives me even more reason to play. =)

Nv40
02-07-05, 09:55 PM
here is a shot from Hl2..

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=10162&stc=1

looks the same to me.. :)

Ninjaman09
02-07-05, 09:58 PM
That's because it's a still shot. That doesn't mean anything. The character models are normal mapped in Source and it looks a lot better than UT2K4's shading, which I believe is maybe environment and bump mapped. You'll also notice the facial animation system is completely absent in the UT2K4 models, which is even evident in the shot.

superklye
02-07-05, 10:25 PM
Yeah, that's one thing that bugged me from the screenshot...just looking at them, you can tell the faces are painted on. In HL2, I really believed that these were people. Their eyes moved, they smiled, the bobbed and acted human...UT2k4 just can't convey that.

Sazar
02-07-05, 10:29 PM
the first set of stills honestly look like crap compared to actual ingame play in hl2...

no offense :)

stncttr908
02-07-05, 10:42 PM
Impressive, but saying they look better than the Source Engine is an overstatement.

superklye
02-07-05, 10:46 PM
Impressive, but saying they look better than the Source Engine is an overstatement.
Saying that makes baby Jesus cry. :(

MustangSVT
02-07-05, 11:50 PM
The HL2 in-game rendering has something going for it while in motion. I can't quite describe it. Anyway, just goes to show that you can't mimic great work with different work. Should be noted that the UT2004 engine feels better during online deathmatch for fast paced. :)

nutcrackr
02-08-05, 08:20 AM
What's the deal with engines competing against each other or using content from other games to prove something or another? Whoever is doing it stop doing it :lame:

jbirney
02-08-05, 08:56 AM
they look simular but HL2 are more detailed.

aAv7
02-08-05, 10:16 AM
The screens look impressive, but after a round of instagib ctf, the characters dont look nearly as nice in motion, but damn, im such a hl2 nut that this just gave ut2k4 a much needed breath of fresh air for me. Amazing. Simply awesome. I give credit to those who did this :)

ynnek
02-08-05, 10:49 AM
yea, everyone was slightly tipsy and swaying.. it was so realistic, it even made me feel ill... ;)

Yeah, that's one thing that bugged me from the screenshot...just looking at them, you can tell the faces are painted on. In HL2, I really believed that these were people. Their eyes moved, they smiled, the bobbed and acted human...UT2k4 just can't convey that.

msxyz
02-08-05, 12:05 PM
They probably adapted UT2004 default skeleton to HL2 characters. That's why they look inferior. Other than this the Source engine does not have enough "oomph" to be defined "superior" to the Unreal engine.

I wonder why people are so hyped about the source engine. A few shadered surfaces every once in a while don't make a superior engine. And honestly, I'm quite tired of games where when -upon walking close to a wall- all you'll see is a blurred pixellated surface. Unreal, back 1998, showed how better look surfaces with micro-texturing on them. It's a lame, fast and simple technique. Yet only a handful of games employ it.

superklye
02-08-05, 12:09 PM
I really wish games did that, too

killahsin
02-08-05, 12:57 PM
They probably adapted UT2004 default skeleton to HL2 characters. That's why they look inferior. Other than this the Source engine does not have enough "oomph" to be defined "superior" to the Unreal engine.

I wonder why people are so hyped about the source engine. A few shadered surfaces every once in a while don't make a superior engine. And honestly, I'm quite tired of games where when -upon walking close to a wall- all you'll see is a blurred pixellated surface. Unreal, back 1998, showed how better look surfaces with micro-texturing on them. It's a lame, fast and simple technique. Yet only a handful of games employ it.

lets see out of the box parallax, deformation, radiosty sphere bubbles, facial animation systems, lip syncing directly from mp3's....ability to make custom shaders, material examples with shaders that are able to be applied to any generic texture thus giving it physical and visual complexity, along with tieing it directly into the phsyics system allowing for less scripting and more action plus instant audible changes. Metal texture click its metal acts like metal physically and sounds like metal. The ability to render to image thus being able to create your own movies, like you would in max maya and so forth. Meshsmoothing....the list goes on and on actually.

HDr in a soon to be released patch...etc etc

Not to mention backwards compatible mods/maps

Ninjaman09
02-08-05, 01:12 PM

Agreed, the Unreal engine has always been extremely impressive from many standpoints. While some of the Source engine modules like the facial animation system and Havok are very nice, from a purely graphical standpoint it is a subpar engine. I still like it though. :)