PDA

View Full Version : SW:KOTOR II Review

MUYA
02-07-05, 09:53 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/kotor2/review.html

No visual tweaks?

killahsin
02-07-05, 10:07 PM
just a higher texture set this time around, which doesn't mean much when the textures are pretty bland compared to what were used to now.

MUYA
02-07-05, 10:13 PM
From the screen shots that was what I was thinking

Edge
02-07-05, 10:13 PM
Yeah, even the original didn't look all that great when it was released, and it seems that the graphics, like all other aspects of KOTOR2, are more or less the same as they were in it's predacessor. Oh well, not a huge deal, I'm much more interested in the story and combat system than I am the graphics. Although the game could also use some better music to go along with it's superb voice acting...

stncttr908
02-07-05, 10:43 PM
The game will kick ass regardless of how well it looks, so I'm not concerned.

crainger
02-08-05, 01:50 AM
The game will kick ass regardless of how well it looks, so I'm not concerned.

I agree!

I mean the old Sierra and LucasArts Adventures have dated grapics too and I still play them over at least once a year. They are just good fun all round.

jAkUp
02-08-05, 01:59 AM
The reason the graphics havent improved much is because its pretty much a straight console port :( When you continue to do straight console ports the graphics look the same year after year. An increasing trend. Good thing when the next gen consoles come out, we will also get better console ports :)

nVidi0t
02-08-05, 02:29 AM
Yeah, it's a shame the graphics are dated. The game will no doubt kick ass but it would be all the sweeter if it could look good doing it.

msxyz
02-08-05, 02:38 AM
The original Kotor hardly used some Enviromental bump mapping FX (some, like the exhaust of the swoops seemed taken from a Matrox G400 demo, LOL). Considering that the engine is the same, I wasn't expecting any major update.

The witcher, based also on a modified Kotor engine, seems more promising in the graphic department.

Sgt_Pitt
02-08-05, 06:07 AM
the withcher is based on the nwn infinity engine i think

|MaguS|
02-08-05, 06:53 AM
NWN and KOTOR use the same engine basically, KOTOR just heavily modified it.

Ninjaman09
02-08-05, 08:14 AM
Yes, it's called the Aurora engine. I'm not a big fan of it personally, though I think it's neat how customizable it is. Anyway hopefully soon they'll move away from it to something that is a little more pleasant to look at.

|MaguS|
02-08-05, 08:23 AM
Jade Empire and the next NWN's (aswell as KOTOR3) will all be (are using, since JE is almost done) using new engines.

Ninjaman09
02-08-05, 08:46 AM
Well, I guess as long as they can add in some more texture effects and shaders they'd look fine. Not that it's a big deal anyway, the games made with it are so good it's hard to fault them for it. :D

Edge
02-08-05, 10:01 AM
The reason the graphics havent improved much is because its pretty much a straight console port :( When you continue to do straight console ports the graphics look the same year after year. An increasing trend. Good thing when the next gen consoles come out, we will also get better console ports :)

Nah, usually console games look better as time goes on as the developers get better with the hardware. Just look at Chronicles of Riddick or Splinter Cell 3: they look great on PC even though are fairly straight ports. With KOTOR, it didn't really look that great to begin with even on the Xbox, and the PC version didn't look much better. The engine is a few years old, so I guess that's understandable, but hopefully Bioware will upgrade it more or use a more advanced engine for future games, even a game like Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath has a pretty decent engine (no load times! yay).