PDA

View Full Version : Updated Darwinia Demo

jAkUp
02-08-05, 02:18 AM
The promised new Darwinia demo is now available on the Darwinia Downloads Page, offering the same gameplay as the previous sample of Introversion's evolutionary action/strategy game (story), along with the promised detailed tutorial (story) to help players understand their goals. the update also addresses "Failed to get CPU Vendor" and "Couldn't open registry value" errors that plague certain systems.

Been hearing good things about this one.

http://www.darwinia.co.uk/downloads/

superklye
02-08-05, 02:31 AM
What the hell is this game?

|MaguS|
02-08-05, 02:44 AM
Intreresting concept but holy hell does this game looks basic, I undertand this is the look they went for but man...

jAkUp
02-08-05, 02:50 AM
ntroversion Software is not an ordinary developer. It has no premises, no focus groups, no risk analysis and no market experts. What it has is a group of people committed to finding new ways to make new types of games. We are not interested in creating "original intellectual property" or "unique selling points" or "innovative and compelling gameplay" for the benefit of the marketing team. We exist in the fond memory of the games industry before the global mega publisher...the days when those buzz words actually meant something, when it was still possible to make your voice heard above the noise.

We are trying, desperately hard, to do things differently. We do not want to contribute to the stagnation of the games industry. We don't measure the value of our games in their potential sales revenue. Our business model doesn't involve "consolidating" any developers. We are the last of the bedroom programmers, and there is nobody here to help us.

Except you. You are the only thing that stands between Introversion and the end that has befallen so many like-minded developers, and we need your help. We believe in what we are doing, and we hope you do too. We are not a charity, and we do not expect hand outs, but we do feel able to ask you for your support. If you agree with our philosophy, and you want to help us succeed, please, buy one of our over-priced posters.

Chris, Mark and Tom
Introversion Software

hahaha These guys are great :)

anyways, I still haven't tried this game, people are saying its very innovative, and very good. I might give it a try depending on some more feedback.

Greg
02-08-05, 07:55 AM
It is a pretty cool demo. Don't be put off by what appears to be retro graphics. Those retro graphics are rendered with the latest shaders! Why havn't you started your download? It's only about 10mb.

jAkUp
02-08-05, 01:15 PM
I'll give it a shot tonight :)

CaptNKILL
02-08-05, 01:46 PM
I just played it and its really cool :)

There are a few bugs and the demo doesnt really explain things that well (at least about using the dishes to teleport... i had no idea you could do that until i looked at a forum) but the game is very original and fun :)

I wish the engineers followed orders a little better. Lots of resources go to waste while they take over structures, because theres no way to make them gather if theres an unocupied building near by. And some times the SQUADS vanish\die for no reason when using teleporters (thank god they are free). Also, "water" (lava? fire?) should be a little more strict. I had guys bouncing around in it and dieing because they tried to walk through it.

I love the graphics, and it runs amazingly well (1600x1200, max everything, 4xAA, 16xAF... 120+fps).

I think I'll keep this one in mind. Id pay for it if it meant that they would keep trying to innovate :)

BTW, Ive been playing Startopia again lately and it has similar gameplay to this, although its much more sci-fi and a lot less wierd ;)

EDIT: I have one last gripe... the game uses computer-like commands to simulate being in a computer world. This means Alt-tab is actually USED in the game. So you cant alt-tab out... you have to go into the graphics options and choose windowed mode if you want to access other programs during the game. Bad design decision in my opinion, I hope they rethink this.