PDA

View Full Version : Lighting defect in Half-Life 2

muaddib
02-09-05, 03:49 PM
Hello.

Recently I was playing HL2 to test some new settings I applied, stabillity etc...
I came across with a door while my flashlight was on and I noticed some kind of an IQ interruption (attached to post).

It happens only on certain textures in the game.

What could it be?
- 3DAnaylze interference?
- RivaTuner DX/Texture options? (I ticked all of the boxes for DX7/DX8+ options)
- Drivers? (don't think so because I tried both 71.80, 67.66, still no go)
- Too high clocks (VERY unlikely)

Please help me out on this.
Thanks! :afro2:

TierMann
02-09-05, 03:56 PM
Looks like what you have there is an ad banner problem ;)

That link goes to a banner. Maybe you can't link directly to an image on that server.

Edit: Oops. You fixed it allready :)

muaddib
02-09-05, 04:06 PM
Yeah I know (annoying server).
So I attached it to the post.
Any ideas?

Gentle
02-09-05, 04:08 PM
That looks like the lower quality shaders...

What video card do you have?

Gentle

muaddib
02-09-05, 04:16 PM
6800GT.

What do you mean by Low Quality Shaders?
So maybe I should turn off 3DAnalyzing?

saturnotaku
02-09-05, 04:20 PM
So maybe I should turn off 3DAnalyzing?

You shouldn't have needed to run it in the first place. HL2 will automatically detect the 6800 GT as a DX 9 card and run the appropriate code path.

Gentle
02-09-05, 04:21 PM
Why are you using that program with a 6800GT?

Gentle

muaddib
02-09-05, 04:36 PM
To force Low Precision Shaders, over the Steam forums they said it would help.
So I guess I should've asked the masters here, I'm uninstalling that prog rightnow.

GamerGuyX
02-09-05, 04:48 PM
I'm uninstalling that prog rightnow.

You don't have to uninstall it. Just don't use it with Half-life 2. 3DAnalyze is actually a pretty good app as long as you know what to use it for.

ViN86
02-09-05, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by hombre:
To force Low Precision Shaders

just wondering, if you want to force low precision shaders, then why are you complaining about the lighting?? :confused:

einstein_314
02-09-05, 08:41 PM
To force Low Precision Shaders, over the Steam forums they said it would help.
So I guess I should've asked the masters here, I'm uninstalling that prog rightnow.

Maybe I'm missing something but why on earth would you force low precision shaders on a 6800GT?!?! :confused: What did they say it would help fix?

Gentle
02-10-05, 02:58 PM
Hombre,

Can you tell us what kind of problem is happening with Half-Life 2?

Also, please list your specifications.

(Note, if you have less than 768meg of system ram, I have something to say to you...)

Gentle

muaddib
02-10-05, 03:00 PM
I told you guys before, I enabled that because the dudes over SteamPowered forums said it would help!

I just uninstalled that program, reinstalled game files and config, and that problem is gone.

I have a 6800GT, with 1gig of RAM.

racingx
02-10-05, 03:07 PM
I told you guys before, I enabled that because the dudes over SteamPowered forums said it would help!

I just uninstalled that program, reinstalled game files and config, and that problem is gone.

That just goes to prove that half the Steam forum members are Crack Heads (crazy)
Glad you got it all sorted out.

muaddib
02-10-05, 04:16 PM
Thanks man.
You guys are great :cool:

crainger
02-11-05, 02:09 AM

As far as I know, some thought it might improve performance on Gefore FX cards only.