PDA

View Full Version : Leadtek Winfast A400 GT - Screen corruption and death

tormento
02-10-05, 01:46 AM
Hi!

I had some problems with two Leadtek Winfast A400 GT.

The first arrived, it was installed but even first boot showed screen garbage and corruption even at bios screen. Tried to reflash bios, nothing happened. Changed.

The second arrived, seemed to be perfect. Newer bios flashed, ov'ed to ULTRA frequencies and I played WHOLE Doom 3 with no glitches or graphical corruption. Temps < 64 degrees at load. After some days I installed a Skystar 2 sat decoder. Some minutes after boot the 6800 showed the same problems of the first card. Changed.

Now I have here the third card. I have phear to destroy it. Can't understand if it was a bad batch of cards or what else.

My rig:

Asus P4C800E deluxe
P4 M0 2.8 @ 3.5 @ 1.65
XP-120 + Enermax 120 mm (42 degrees @ load, 34 @ idle)
2 x Corsair XMS 3500 BH5 512 2-2-2-5 @ 2.8
Enermax 465 FCA (33A on 12V)
2 x 74 raptor @ raid 0

Any ideas?

mustrum
02-10-05, 02:57 AM
You mabye got a killer PSU. ;)

Blade
02-10-05, 03:08 AM
Hi!

The first arrived, it was installed but even first boot showed screen garbage and corruption even at bios screen. Tried to reflash bios, nothing happened. Changed.

The second arrived, seemed to be perfect. Newer bios flashed, ov'ed to ULTRA frequencies and I played WHOLE Doom 3 with no glitches or graphical corruption. Temps < 64 degrees at load. After some days I installed a Skystar 2 sat decoder. Some minutes after boot the 6800 showed the same problems of the first card. Changed.

Now I have here the third card. I have phear to destroy it. Can't understand if it was a bad batch of cards or what else.

My rig:

Asus P4C800E deluxe
P4 M0 2.8 @ 3.5 @ 1.65
2 x 74 raptor @ raid 0

Any ideas?

Had the same problem when i attached a new sata drive to my rig, my A400 GT went all funky with screen corruption even at boot screen, rma'd it for a Asus V9999GT, it appears the leadtek cards are very touchy when it comes to power supplies & voltage changes.

tormento
02-10-05, 03:49 AM
You mabye got a killer PSU. ;)

Nice and useful reply. :thumbdwn:

tormento
02-10-05, 03:50 AM
Had the same problem when i attached a new sata drive to my rig, my A400 GT went all funky with screen corruption even at boot screen, rma'd it for a Asus V9999GT, it appears the leadtek cards are very touchy when it comes to power supplies & voltage changes.

What do you suggest? Change video card or change psu? I thought Enermax were good ones..

keith33
02-10-05, 05:50 AM
What do you suggest? Change video card or change psu? I thought Enermax were good ones..

Considering you've went through three cards already, I would pick up a high end power supply like an OCZ PowerStream, and if the Leadtek card doesn't work on that a) you'll be happy you still have a good PS, and b) you know it's specifically a Leadtek problem and you can RMA the store for an Asus or BFG.

Good luck.

TeaEtchSee
02-10-05, 08:22 AM
Hi!

My rig:

Asus P4C800E deluxe
P4 M0 2.8 @ 3.5 @ 1.65
2 x 74 raptor @ raid 0

Any ideas?

hmmm, i have 2 a400gt's. My second one is still on RMA because i got the same problem as you.

I see a bunch of Pink linkes everywere and shiet. My power supply on both computers are 400psu 8xagp etc etc.

tell me, how long does RMA usually take?

i sent mine back to www.buyxg.com (xtreme gear)

to be honestly, i believe the damage is by shippin and handling. THe packaging technique of LEADTEK is very poor.

tormento
02-10-05, 08:45 AM
tell me, how long does RMA usually take?

Direct replacement at shop: 0 days. ;)

racingx
02-10-05, 09:05 AM
Dude if I were you I would see if you can just get your money back and go with a diffrent brand of card.

mike2h
02-10-05, 12:12 PM
there have been other reports of people having problems with this card. looks like leadteks overall quality has gone down the tube. 1st you have the 'gt lite' fiasco now this. sounds like they are still using low quality parts.

tormento
02-10-05, 01:34 PM
there have been other reports of people having problems with this card. looks like leadteks overall quality has gone down the tube. 1st you have the 'gt lite' fiasco now this. sounds like they are still using low quality parts.

Can you address me to the threads of the forums where you read?

Just in case even the third card goes to hell.

j2535
04-28-05, 03:12 AM
Sound like I have just about the same story as you guys. I just bought the same leadtek card from buygx.com 2 weeks ago my first card had the same problems in the bios screen. I tired to contact customer support and they wont reposed at buygx. I got in contact with leadtek and they sent me a new card. It arrived tonight and worked for an hour. I got to do the 3d-mark 2005 benchmark and play a round of Cs source. After shutting down my computer and starting it back up the bios started screwing up again like the old card. So now Iím back to 16 colors and no nvidia driver will stick. For all the trouble of RMA I could have just gotten an ultra :mad: Oh yah and the packing from Buygx.com and leadtek is total crap no foam or popcorn just stuffed inside a cardboard box. Im sure it really gets ratteled around while its tossed in shipping. I spent 10 bucks pakcing my card in bubble wrap and popcorn to send it to leadtek but all they can do it send it in a ceap cardboard box that got smashed on one corner.

TeaEtchSee
04-28-05, 09:35 AM
Sound like I have just about the same story as you guys. I just bought the same leadtek card from buygx.com 2 weeks ago my first card had the same problems in the bios screen. I tired to contact customer support and they wont reposed at buygx. I got in contact with leadtek and they sent me a new card. It arrived tonight and worked for an hour. I got to do the 3d-mark 2005 benchmark and play a round of Cs source. After shutting down my computer and starting it back up the bios started screwing up again like the old card. So now Iím back to 16 colors and no nvidia driver will stick. For all the trouble of RMA I could have just gotten an ultra :mad: Oh yah and the packing from Buygx.com and leadtek is total crap no foam or popcorn just stuffed inside a cardboard box. Im sure it really gets ratteled around while its tossed in shipping. I spent 10 bucks pakcing my card in bubble wrap and popcorn to send it to leadtek but all they can do it send it in a ceap cardboard box that got smashed on one corner.

wow your storry sounds exactly like mine... :)

its funny, im gettin my RMA Leadtek today...

I think Leadtek is dumping there AGP support, and preparing for PCIX

myshkinbob
04-28-05, 04:21 PM
This might not be terribly useful, but i've had the same card for about 9 months now, leadtek A400 GT TDH. Recently i developed the same issue everyone here is having, very bad screen corruption. I thought it was my card going bad, in particular some bad GDDR3 ram on the card.

Setting my agp slot voltage to 1.6v, up 0.1v from the default, fixed this issue completely. It appears the leadtek cards are very sensitive to voltages. I don't have a multimeter to verify the slot voltage, but i know my mainboard tends to undervolt itself everywhere else. I'd assume that 1.6v i've set corresponds in reality to between 1.5v to 1.55v.

So if your mainboard bios allows it, you might want to test out your Vddq/Vagp a notch higher (my gigabyte bios labels Vagp as Vddq, it's nothing to do with the ram Vddq though). I hope it helps, it did for me. :)

Edit: i should point out i'd been running the card with the agp slot at +0.1v for the last six months at least, and it was only when i recently had to clear my mainboard cmos that the incredibly bad screen corruption began to occur. And remembering to set it back to +0.1v was the fix.

rohit
04-29-05, 03:11 AM
i got the garbage curroption on mi MSi card, pink lines with white dots all over the screen. MSi card took a whole 4 months to replace, so i changed to leadtek. am happy wid it.

these curroption generally occur due to VGA ram curroption. myshkinbob may be correct too.