PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts during video playback

nadare
02-10-05, 03:30 PM
My problem is that when i watch videos on my computer at random times I will get artifacts all over my screen.
Heres a screenshot.

http://img228.exs.cx/img228/2472/artifacts0gd.jpg

By random I mean i might open up video A , nothing happens then open video B and well i get that on my screen. The video itself is not watchable either. So far my only solution ( a temporary one at best ) is using FFDSHOW to switch video codecs back and forth ( which seems to work for finite amount of time then the problem comes back againin )
Ive also tried about 4 different driver version from beta to official to whatever was on the CD that my video card came with.

The video card in question is a BFG 6600GT.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here are my system specs;
Asus Motherboard P4P800-E DLX
Intel 865PE chipset
Intel 2.8ghz 800fsb CPU
2x512 Corsair PC3200 DDR
System Bios 1.04
Video driver DNA 71.80
Windows XP

_Phil_
02-10-05, 03:35 PM
Nice upload speed there, what type of connection you got?

Back on topic it looks like the video RAM might be a bit dodgy? Do you get artifacts in games?

nadare
02-10-05, 03:40 PM
Nice upload speed there, what type of connection you got?

Back on topic it looks like the video RAM might be a bit dodgy? Do you get artifacts in games?

Ohh boy that screenshot was sent to BFG tech support also :eek:
5mbit down 800bit up is my connection.

Back on track, this *ONLY* i cannot stress that enough happens during video playback i've yet to have any kind of problems during gameplay.

nadare
02-20-05, 11:37 PM
Somewhat of a bump , wouldnt mind getting more people talking about this, sharing their own experiences.

Grrr really bugging me some days.

nadare
02-21-05, 01:34 PM
Just tossing some ideas out:

Is your card overclocked?
On the 6800 Series cards, the card actually changes voltage when it goes from 2D to 3D mode. So, theoretically, if your card does the same thing, your overclock may be stable for 3d, since the card has more voltage to work with, but not stable at 2D.

If you're overclocking it, try backing it down, if not, I'm out of ideas.

Well it is a BFG 66000GT OC meaning its overclocked by BFG so its running within BFG specifications.

My only idea is this is somehow related to the video codecs and nvidia drivers. Since if i switch codecs the problem goes away temporarily then a week later (or less ) samething happens on different codecs.

nadare
02-21-05, 04:00 PM
What types of videos are you watching, what codecs are you using, and what version of media player are you running?

I'd like to see if I could duplicate the problem.

Im using media player classic 6.4.8.2 ( this is NOT the Microsoft media player classic )

I usually watch animes, mostly AVI and MKV/OGM files

From what i can remember I installed xvid codec
Link : http://www.divx-digest.com/software/xvid.html ( the first download option )

divx codec 'free' version
Link www.divx.com

And also the MKV playback pack
Link: http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022257/matroska/

Even i have a hard time duplicating the artifacts it just seems to come and go.

I use ffdshow alpha to switch between codecs
Heres the link : http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

Also a screenshot of my current config with ffdshow.
http://img150.exs.cx/img150/8115/ffdshow6kc.jpg

I did email BFG tech support they either said it could be an IRQ problem since the controller is sharing an IRQ with the video card OR that my power supply isnt supply enough power.

I can almost certainly rule out the power supply since its 400w and since from my understand from rivatuner ( i believe thats what the software is called ) the video card underclocks itself in 2d mode. And also if this was a power supply problem it sure would be obvious when i do something very graphic intensive like play games.

As for the IRQ im not too certain i dont believe i can even change the IRQ number even if i wanted to.

hmmph

nadare
04-22-05, 01:59 AM
Well seemed like its time for an update, anyways for one several reasons I had to buy a new power supply, this time its 550w ( yes a little overboard but whats a few dollars for soo much wattage) anyways, i can safely say that the power supply is not the issue.

I still remain adamant that its the video codecs/nvidia drivers, my investigation continues!

I would really like to hear if any one else has these sorts of issues.

ViN86
04-22-05, 12:15 PM
used to happen to my old card, a Radeon 7500. seemed to be a cold solder problem. if you reinstall windows, try card in a different comp, try different drivers, and the problem still is there, id look into an RMA. :(

Bitkari
04-23-05, 05:12 AM
I own a Gigabyte 6800 card and I'm having a very similar (but worse!) problem..

When playing video back with media player classic, my machine actually locks up, then proceeds to "shut-down" the video card, while the rest of my system is running.

Bitkari
04-23-05, 06:21 AM
it's happening with winamp, win media player as well :/

it seems there is some MAJOR problem with rendering 2D graphics, as I'm also getting artifacts on 2D, even on the windows boot screen!

bkswaney
04-23-05, 04:38 PM
Sounds like a driver-software problem to me.

When I use realplayer to watch any video file
I get the BSOD and my system shuts down.

SH64
04-23-05, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a driver-software problem to me.

When I use realplayer to watch any video file
I get the BSOD and my system shuts down.

I get this problem too , but mine appears to be more audio related.

racingx
04-23-05, 08:09 PM
Have you tried to disable AGP Fastwrites in the motherboard bios yet? I know Fastwrites is used for video playback in 2d.

TeaEtchSee
04-23-05, 08:29 PM
My problem is that when i watch videos on my computer at random times I will get artifacts all over my screen.
Heres a screenshot.

http://img228.exs.cx/img228/2472/artifacts0gd.jpg

By random I mean i might open up video A , nothing happens then open video B and well i get that on my screen. The video itself is not watchable either. So far my only solution ( a temporary one at best ) is using FFDSHOW to switch video codecs back and forth ( which seems to work for finite amount of time then the problem comes back againin )
Ive also tried about 4 different driver version from beta to official to whatever was on the CD that my video card came with.

The video card in question is a BFG 6600GT.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here are my system specs;
Asus Motherboard P4P800-E DLX
Intel 865PE chipset
Intel 2.8ghz 800fsb CPU
2x512 Corsair PC3200 DDR
System Bios 1.04
Video driver DNA 71.80
Windows XP

Ive had those...and it led to bad stuff...

i would utalize the RMA while u still have it..

nadare
04-24-05, 12:27 AM
hmm i will try the fastwrite thing,
I hope it works.

I really have no idea whats going on, I keep thinking it has to do with codecs, but keeping the codecs and same and rebooting the system temporarily solves my problem.

The problem seems to appear most often after i come out of a game and want to watch a video clip.

Driving me crazy, I will probably lend my card out to a friend for testing soon if this persists.

As for the RMA, BGF is lifetime warranty BUT they dont want say the card is faulty right now, im somewhat stuck between a rock and a hardplace.

camz
04-24-05, 11:05 AM
are you drivers on monitor scaling? if not try putting it to that and see if it still happens!

Got_Shaft?
05-06-05, 01:35 PM
Hey guys, I just got my 6200 card a few weeks ago, as soon as I put it into my box it started to freak out. I was getting artifacts on the boot screen and in winXP. The artifacting from the boot screens I took care of in the Bios, but the windows 2d artifacting took me a couple of days to figure out. I had to go back to a 6X.XX version driver for it to go away completely, but here is the final solution I found on the nVidia forums...
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=3612
it might not help you if you don't have a VIA chipset, but it works great for me and for a few of my friends, better than using old drivers.

nadare
06-07-05, 10:49 AM
Time for an update i suppose,

I cannot find any option for AGP fastwrites in my BIOS,
Monitor scaling ? where can i find such an option (i didnt see anything like that in BIOS )

But here's an update on the problem,
it still exists but its become a lot more managable,
if i start up windows and let it 'warm up' for say 1-2 minutes i can watch videos just fine, but if i click a video as soon as windows lets me, the artifacts appear.

if i exit a game and immediately open a video file same thing again, but if i wait a minute or two before to 'cool down' or whatever you want to call it, its fine.

Some things i still cannot do, anything that involves both game play and viedos isnt possible, i usually get a black screen ( of death ) then i hear some of my hard drives shutting down/not working ( i have 4 of them ) then a reboot and they power back up.

somehow i keep thing its a codec issue but with this new set of development it sounds more and more like a heat/hardware issue.

Soon i will be RMA'ing my mobo (yes ive been lazy, but its an unrelated matter to the AGP/video issues ) maybe that will solve something.

EDIT: i will be physically insepcting the video card soon since i have to get the S/N if i RMA it anyways as well as the mobo.

saberz
06-09-05, 01:08 PM
Aye, I myself had that problem recently.

Was using one of the 7x.xx drivers and I know with the 6x.xx I was able to run 400 / 1100 without a hitch, using the 7x.xx(71.89) I can OC it with what seems like it runs fine, but after I was watching a video I've watched several times before I started seeing colors getting scewed around. Downlclocked the card back to stock and its working fine for now. I noticed the temps are bit higher now too(6x.xx i used to idle at 50-51 now it idles at 56-57). I've had this happen before due to dust in the VGA adapters cooling solution so I am going to end up opening the card up and cleaning it out. You'll be surprised at the amount of crap that gets in there.

Try to open the HS up and dust it out could be causing those issues.

On a side Question:

Any of you remove the Thermal Pads on the ram? If so what did you use to fill the cap between the ram and the hs. I saw the thread here about it but everyone is saying good / bad for AS5(which I have). You think if i fill the gap with that it will be ok with AS5?

coldmist
07-09-05, 12:07 PM
I just found this thread in a search. I just posted about a very similar issue. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53307

It seems we share the same cause (ie closing a video-related program), but my effects are either a visually-resized display (ie the screen is now showing only 640x480 pixels, but other apps like the mouse still move to the 1280x1024 grid) or blurry text and overlay problems, but only some of the time.

Try changing your resolution down a notch, and then back up to normal. Does that fix it?

I just changed my LCD scaling option from Monitor Scaling to Display Adapter Scaling and see if that fixes it.