PDA

View Full Version : RAID question?

mattkenn_4545
02-10-05, 06:37 PM
I just got another HD same size etc. as my current one and would like to set it up in an SATA raid 0. Can I simple plug it In go into the bios and say Create RAID array without destroying my data?

$n][pErMan
02-10-05, 06:43 PM
Can I simple plug it In go into the bios and say Create RAID array without destroying my data?

No .. as far as im aware.... creating an array (expecially 0) will erase all your data. You will have to run it seperatly as a seperate drive and letter without creating an array.

Cruel_Logic
02-10-05, 06:53 PM
You MIGHT be able to run a raid one array, but definitely not raid zero.

mattkenn_4545
02-10-05, 07:06 PM
Are there any cloneing programs that I could use to clone my main HD to another similar HD, put my 2 HD's in raid then clone my data to it?

Tr1cK
02-10-05, 07:17 PM
I wouldnt run RAID0 unless I had identical hard drives. Not just size, but exact model number. Drives may have different cache sizes which would screw it up, but they may also have internal differences such as platter density, motor type, ncq/tcq, or wtfe that could lead to different internal latencies. Any time a new RAID0 array is built, it will cause loss of all data on the drives included in it.

mattkenn_4545
02-10-05, 07:22 PM
They are essentially the same drive. Both are seagate the model numbers only differ because one was originally and ata drive and I used the Serrial2 Coverter from abit. is the sata one has and S at the end they both test out Identical with HDTach

FastM
02-11-05, 12:21 AM
I just got another HD same size etc. as my current one and would like to set it up in an SATA raid 0. Can I simple plug it In go into the bios and say Create RAID array without destroying my data?

some controllers support and rebuild option with Raid-0, some dont....

Check out your controllers BIOS and see what it says. (just have your data backup up before you try anything...

mattkenn_4545
02-16-05, 09:07 PM
Found out my controller doesn't allow rebuilding of raid 0 so I used norton ghost made a image over the network and remade the array with a chunk size of 8KB and put my cluster size at 16 KB huge improvement. Random reads are at ~60MB /s sequential reads are aroung 80 and the same for the writes. I'm happy :)

garikfox
02-16-05, 09:54 PM
Found out my controller doesn't allow rebuilding of raid 0 so I used norton ghost made a image over the network and remade the array with a chunk size of 8KB and put my cluster size at 16 KB huge improvement. Random reads are at ~60MB /s sequential reads are aroung 80 and the same for the writes. I'm happy :)

Clean install my firiend. :cool:

mattkenn_4545
02-17-05, 05:23 PM
It was essentially a clean Install, just wanted to change the chunk size after all. later this week (friday) Im going to change the cluster size to 4KB 8Kb and 16KB and share the results. By the way I use partition magic to the conversion so its non-destructive.