PDA

View Full Version : Help with overheating

lognoronon
02-10-05, 07:54 PM
I have a bfg 6800 gt and up until a few days ago everything was fine with it. Now I'm having problems with it overheating and absolutely nothing has changed with my settings and I'm not overclocking either. I'm idling around 70c and going over 100c with any game that heavily uses the gpu. I use to idle around 50c and I'm at a total loss as to why it would all of a sudden start overheating so much. I tried fixing it by opening my case, having my 4 case fans on/off and using 10 different drivers so far and nothing is helping. I even underclocked the gpu to 300 and it all it did was go down like 2c. The gpu fan appears to be working fine.

j0j081
02-10-05, 10:18 PM
What drivers are you using? My card idles between 60 and 62. I heard a few of the beta drivers may increase that by ten degrees.

lognoronon
02-10-05, 11:19 PM
Tried a lot of drivers thus far and all of them have been idling around the same temp. Right now I'm using the 67.66.

Muppet
02-10-05, 11:44 PM
Check your heatsink, the screws may have come loose.I`ve heard of this happening before.

Rytr
02-11-05, 12:07 AM
I agree, check your heatsink. A change of temps to the extent you are experiencing indicates the HSF is not working properly. May have lost some contact between the sink and gpu or the fan has lost rpms. Could be loose screw(s).

Venturi
02-11-05, 12:11 AM
Is the fan spinning adequatly in game? (on vid card)

Is ther a lot of debris built up on it? (on vid card)

Arte you recirculating hot air from the powersupply to the card?

and most of all:

Is the card receiving adequate power?

lognoronon
02-11-05, 12:23 AM
Just finished pulling the card out and everything is on it good (at least it appears that way). The fan had some dust collected in it and I cleared it out and the fan is appearing to be spinning just fine. The temps however are still the same :(

Is the fan spinning adequatly in game? (on vid card)
Yes
Is ther a lot of debris built up on it? (on vid card)
Some dust was on the fan and I cleared it out.
Arte you recirculating hot air from the powersupply to the card?
No my PSU pulls out not blows in. I have 2 exhaust fans in the rear and 2 intake on the front. All 4 of them are 80mm.
Is the card receiving adequate power?
Look at my sig and at my PSU. I have way beyond what's even needed.

Rytr
02-11-05, 12:31 AM
Again, a change of temps to that extent means something is definitely wrong. Normally, a simple removal of the sink and new application of thermal compound would be the solution but in your case I would contact BFG and see what they say as that could void your warranty.

lognoronon
02-11-05, 01:13 AM
Well I contacted BFG and their network was down at the time so I have to call back in the morning. Looks like I might have to RMA it. Hopefully I can get an RMA done without any problems. Thank god for the lifetime warranty as that's the only reason I went with a BFG.

NemesisChild
02-11-05, 09:10 PM
Before you got through the hassle of an RMA, check to see if the HS screws are loose.
If so, tighten them, but carefully!
You don't want to overtighten the screws, I hear they can break easily.
Or this is maybe what I heard about the NV5 screws, I know they're skinny.

Good luck........

einstein_314
02-11-05, 10:30 PM
Before you got through the hassle of an RMA, check to see if the HS screws are loose.
If so, tighten them, but carefully!
You don't want to overtighten the screws, I hear they can break easily.
Or this is maybe what I heard about the NV5 screws, I know they're skinny.

Good luck........

Did you even read the thread before posting? Rytr already suggested checking the screws, and he did and found they were fine. And regarding the NV5 screws, the ones that came with the first NV5's where a problem, but they have since fixed that and it now comes with excellent screws.

sabersix1
02-12-05, 12:25 AM
Well I contacted BFG and their network was down at the time so I have to call back in the morning. Looks like I might have to RMA it. Hopefully I can get an RMA done without any problems. Thank god for the lifetime warranty as that's the only reason I went with a BFG.
Hi lognoronon, this is my first time on NVNEWS.NET. BFG Tech operates a 24Hour Tech. Support at 1-866-BFG-FIXX or 1-866-234-3499 for US residents. For calls coming from outside the US Please us the toll number:1-630-637-2459. I have an EVGA 6800Ultra PCIe and my Core Temp runs at 52c with an Ambient Temp is 36c. My Rig Case is the Tt Tsunami with a side window that has an extra 90mm Fan Blowing Outside Air in on the Northbridge and CPU Cooler. I also use an extra Logisys Blue LED Edge Fan set up on the last PCI slot so that the two fans in the bracket face the GPU Card and blow air toward the card. It has a 3rd Fan That I mounted on top of the bracket and it goes over the top of the card and blows air down the backside of the card and the Northbridge at the same time. Here is the Link at newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=11-999-468&depa=0 Its only $20 but I feel that its worth it as long as it will keep my Ultra cool. ;) I hope any of this helps, SaberSix1 Over

latinmike
02-12-05, 01:30 AM
Just finished pulling the card out and everything is on it good (at least it appears that way). The fan had some dust collected in it and I cleared it out and the fan is appearing to be spinning just fine. The temps however are still the same :(

Yes

Some dust was on the fan and I cleared it out.

No my PSU pulls out not blows in. I have 2 exhaust fans in the rear and 2 intake on the front. All 4 of them are 80mm.

Look at my sig and at my PSU. I have way beyond what's even needed.
try to remove some of those pci slot coversand if you could put a fan onthe side of your case pulling air in on the video like this
http://http://server3.uploadit.org/files/latinmike-pc1.JPG
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/latinmike-pc22.JPG I,m sure that if you try to do something like what I did home made that that will help you in some way. hope that helps. :cool:

Acid Rain
02-12-05, 07:41 PM
I have a bfg 6800 gt and up until a few days ago everything was fine with it. Now I'm having problems with it overheating
How do you know it's overheating, besides the temp readings?

Is it locking up or artifacting? Maybe you have some remnants of previous driver tweaks/files and they are causing a misreading (though it's been confirmed that some drivers really do raise the temps)?

lognoronon
02-13-05, 01:08 PM
It's locking up with anything that heavily uses the GPU and I'm getting artifacts as well.

lognoronon
02-13-05, 05:31 PM
Well despite my feeling that I have enough airflow in the case I broke down and bought a pci vga cooler. So far no lockups which means maybe it was just enough to keep the temps within spec. Idle temps went down almost 8c

Rytr
02-13-05, 05:56 PM
The design of your case (also, clutter...this I know from experience :D) and fan placement can sometimes trap hot pockets of air. Usually found in the top of the case but can also accumulate in places like under the video card. Fan placement and exhaust vs. intake affects airflow.