PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive with bad sectors, risk it?

Templar
02-11-05, 08:06 AM
Dudes,

I got 1 Seagate 160GB that I lost nearly all my data on because of bad sectors. I have now deleted the partition on it and formated it. Ran CHdsk with the "check for bad sectors and attempt recovery" option.

Now the hard drive seems perfectly OK, like the bad sectors have been flagged and all is good.

Should I risk using this hard drive or is the chance of more bad sectors and data loss just imminent?

Thanks for any advice and info.

Simon

Sworkhard
02-11-05, 08:48 AM
That all depends on how important the data that is stored on the hardrive is to you. If you can handle losing everything every so often and reformating, go for it. The other option is to use it as a backup harddrive or something similar.

Fatman
02-11-05, 08:48 AM
Don't test your luck, it's not worth the downtime. If the warranty is good, send it for replacement. If not, take the Dremel to it and get the magnets out!

Riptide
02-11-05, 09:04 AM
Seagate usually has a 5 year warranty. I agree - send it in for replacement.

saturnotaku
02-11-05, 09:13 AM
If Seagate is anything like Western Digital, you can provide them a credit card number when filling out the return request and they will send you a replacement drive first. Then you have 30 days to return the bad one, and your card will not be charged. Though I've had my fair share of trouble with WD drives, it's for this policy that I will continue to purchase that brand. Good luck.

Ninjaman09
02-11-05, 09:38 AM
I can also attest to WD's awesome return policy. And having problems with their drives. :D

Also, totally off topic, I was wondering why you bought an X800XT to go with your SLI motherboard. That confused me a lot.

Riptide
02-11-05, 10:05 AM
Speaking of drives... This is the one I want. To bad it'd be slower overall than my Raptors in RAID0. And expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-063&depa=1

saturnotaku
02-11-05, 10:08 AM
Seagate's overwhelming support for NCQ is rather appealing I must say.

Rakeesh
02-11-05, 10:29 AM
Something you should know about bad sectors. All hard disks actually have a real storage capacity that is about 30% (or at times even 100%) larger than the advertised size of the disk. Pretty much all hard disks have bad sectors, even when they are brand new. This extra storage space is reserved specifically for that purpose. Whenever you get bad sectors, the hard drive permanently marks them as such, and attempts to relocate the data to the extra disk space (whenever it is damaged to the point that it can't relocate the data without losing anything, it just marks it bad and you actually have to do the repartitioning.)

It is actually possible to use the defect mapping spare sectors as normal storage space if you feel the urge to make your existing hard disk larger, but I wouldn't recommend it.

http://theinquirer.net/?article=14597

WRT to WD's return policy, I remember a long time ago buying a 2 gig drive that didn't work for $5, and sending it back to western digital on their return program and they gave me back a fully working 12 gig drive for free. It was a very good deal at the time :D

Templar
02-11-05, 01:17 PM
Alpha, I know that you get bad sectors and they're marked as bad and the drive continous it's operation, just that I got it so early in the drive's life that's why I'm posting. How imminent is the next wave of bad clusters, will it happen like last time, I loose my data etc. or will it be a cluster here or a cluster there that I don't know about etc.

Simon

Rakeesh
02-11-05, 03:42 PM
Alpha, I know that you get bad sectors and they're marked as bad and the drive continous it's operation, just that I got it so early in the drive's life that's why I'm posting. How imminent is the next wave of bad clusters, will it happen like last time, I loose my data etc. or will it be a cluster here or a cluster there that I don't know about etc.

Simon

Well, if the drive is within its warranty period I would exchange it regardless. The more bad sectors there are, the less spare sectors there are available for when you begin to run out.

Templar
02-11-05, 03:48 PM
true, I just ran Seatools again and they reported a problem. This drive is going back.

Thanks for all the replies.

Simon