PDA

View Full Version : what's BEst harddrive manufacturer...?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Domy
02-11-05, 10:04 AM
my dad's harddrive is dead.it's maxtor...i had couple times bad exp.with this brand .what's the best HDDin this age,eh?any help would be very apreciated...thx guys.u're the best.

Riptide
02-11-05, 10:12 AM
Holy matter of opinion batman! :)

IMO, Seagate first and WD second. Both of them have good return policies and support.

superklye
02-11-05, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Seagate's got the best warranties. 5 years.

saturnotaku
02-11-05, 10:25 AM
Either Seagate or WD, whichever one you can get the best price on is how I would base my decision.

Rakeesh
02-11-05, 10:56 AM
Maxtor owns seagate now.

Riptide
02-11-05, 10:59 AM
Maxtor owns seagate now.
You're kidding me? When did that happen?

Looks like WD only from now on then. :(

Gator
02-11-05, 11:16 AM
Seagate is my favorite. Although I wasn't aware Maxtor bought them. That scares me :(

1337_Like_ThaT
02-11-05, 07:36 PM
Go Western Digital, otherwise Seagate. Go for a Raptor if the mobo supports it , that'll get you ahead of the gang:thumbsup:

Darth Rancid
02-11-05, 07:49 PM
Well, I think the Hitatchi Deskstars rule....

I know you will hate me for this, but they all work so well for me!...

-=DVS=-
02-11-05, 08:24 PM
Maxtor is my Favorite.

seeker010
02-11-05, 08:33 PM
Maxtor owns seagate now.
shens.

Seagate is my favorite. Although I wasn't aware Maxtor bought them. That scares me :(
they didn't :D

jAkUp
02-11-05, 09:03 PM
Western Digital easily. 5 year warranty on the raptor drives :)

Starscream
02-12-05, 12:31 AM
I'd say based purely on the number of dead drives I have to rma, wd is the best.

Seagate's new 5 year warranty stuff is interesting, but in Canada Seagate doesn't do the warranty work, they farm it out to some other company, and they are a real pain in the butt to deal with.

Greg
02-12-05, 12:36 AM
I've been through about an equal number of different brand hard drives. The longest and shortest lives have been the same brand. There are occasionally good or bad models or technology but there is not much you can do about it. Just get the size you need with the warranty you can afford. The fact is that your HDD will die sometime between 5 minutes and 5 years after purchasing with plenty to absolutely no warning.

Absolution
02-12-05, 01:02 AM
maxtor

actually to be honest... you can't really go wrong with any hard drive manufaturer right now... i like maxtor, ncq sataII which i guess doesnt make a huge difference but is nice... look at the nvnews.net homepage, there's a link to comparing a bunch of recent hard drives (maybe a couple weeks old)

Vagrant Zero
02-12-05, 01:09 AM
My Raptor is sex on a platter, so ya WD.

Just RMAed my dead 250gig, still had a month under warrenty. Good stuff.

Tr1cK
02-12-05, 12:53 PM
Maxtor has never failed me after 3+ years of continuous RAID0. Nothing wrong with WD either. I would stay away from Hitachi, seeing as they are basically the old IBM Deathstars, 3 of which I had die on me in a matter of months.

jAkUp
02-13-05, 01:18 AM
Yea stay away from the new IBM's... they used to be good until they mated with hitachi

Ruined
02-13-05, 03:01 AM
seagate & wd :)

for sata, i'd go for seagate first tho as they make true native sata drives.

the upcoming Seagate 300gb 7200rpm 16mb cache 7200.8+ SATA NCQ drive will offer similar performance to a Raptor in most cases, at a similar price point with 225gb more space :) I'd wait for that one, should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Kojiro
02-13-05, 02:20 PM
It does not realy matter which brand Hard Drive you get, they are all made in similar "rediculously cheap labor manufactoring plants in southeast asia".

Slyder
02-13-05, 03:45 PM
I only use Maxtor... :D

Slyder
02-13-05, 03:47 PM
Well, I think the Hitatchi Deskstars rule....

:eek:

Deathstar you say, my good man.... what a splended opinion :afro:

saturnotaku
02-13-05, 07:28 PM
the upcoming Seagate 300gb 7200rpm 16mb cache 7200.8+ SATA NCQ drive will offer similar performance to a Raptor in most cases, at a similar price point with 225gb more space :) I'd wait for that one, should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Is Western Digital going to offer something like this?

MustangSVT
02-13-05, 07:36 PM
I have a maxtor that's almost 4 years now, 2 maxtor's that are about 2.5 years old, one IBM that's 5 years old, one Seagate that's a year old and another Seagate that's like 4 months old.

I've never had a hard drive die on me... I used to have a WD 1.2gb that lasted me for over 3 years and then I sold it, then I used Quantum HDD's for like another 6 years and never had one die.

Myself, I would buy a Maxtor because they work fine for me, no problems and never had one die. I don't understand what's with people "but this brand is soo much better". How come I don't see a difference between my 80gb maxtor and my 120gb seagate? How come it's the same with my friend's 80gb maxtor and 120gb wd? They're all the same to me.. I don't understand where you're supposed to see the difference if they're all 7200rpm and 4mb/8mb cache.

Plus I've never understood what's with people with their PSU's and HDD's that have died. The only component I've ever had die on me was an Epox 8KHA+ (KT266A) motherboard that died after I upgraded to my current Gigabyte which is kind of ironic, and it was around 2.3 years old. But other than that, in 12 years of using custom computer parts, there's not been one other that's died on me.

I still have my old Athlon 1.4, my p3 celly 1.2 with i815, voodoo 5 5500, my old tnt2, and I even have a 7 year old startech i740 8mb video card that still works. :cool:

Rytr
02-13-05, 08:09 PM
Overall, I would pick WD as I have more of them and less trouble.

Matrox, I have owned 5 and 3 died untimely deads without warning. Still, I am trying out another (120GB SATA) and it looks like my backup (WD 200GB IDE) will run circles around it...something is wrong, I just have to find out what.

On Hitachi DeskStar (formerly IBM DeathStars), I have two of the $60 SATA drives running for 2 months without any problems (and they are fast). Maybe Hitachi has improved them in some way such as quality control?

I am not generally brand-oriented but I have noticed that I have 3 DFI mobos running. :D